Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 09:40 PM

657 posts, read 696,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I have zero benefit to disclosing where I work

3 people live in a town. 1 makes 1mm a year one makes 30k and the other 15k. Median income is 30k and average is 348k. Do you really not see the issue? We are talking about it because you stated something as fact when you were incorrect and have continued to argue even though you were wrong

This is from your own link
You can't be serious? You think taking 3 people to conveniently make your point is the as taking an average across 100 million people?

Averages tend to gravitate to the largest populations, it means the majority makes that. What are you trying to say, that people make less?

I wouldn't be wishing for that if I was making 200k....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 09:50 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,611,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
You can't be serious? You think taking 3 people to conveniently make your point is the as taking an average across 100 million people?

Averages tend to gravitate to the largest populations, it means the majority makes that. What are you trying to say, that people make less?

I wouldn't be wishing for that if I was making 200k....

My example of three should easily demonstrate the issue with the average. If 66.9% of people make 43k or less including deferred comp then the average salary isn't anywhere near 50k. There is no need to discuss it any more because you don't understand the data

Old 01-17-2015, 10:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
All the salary and income sidebars aside, why should people who are more wealthy get taxed more?
Wouldn't they still pay more in a flat system as they would pay the same percent of their income but because they make more, it would be at a higher amount. Say we have an individual making 28K, a household making 68K, an individual making 70K and a household making 250K. At a 17% flat tax (the common proposed amount) the individual making 28K pays $4,760, the household making 68K pays $11,560, the individual making 70k pays $11,900 and the household making 250K pays $42,500. Guess what, the 250K household is paying $42,760 is nearly 10 fold of the $4,760 the 28k individual pays.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:50 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,093 times
Quote:
Because we make more? It's a very simple concept of a progressive taxing system. I really have no problem with it. My hh income for 2014 was above 200k and my effective fed income tax rate was below 14%
Out of curiosity, at what effective tax rate would you start having problems with it?
For Federal income?
State and local income?
Property?

Old 01-17-2015, 11:30 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,885 times
Quote:
Because we make more? It's a very simple concept of a progressive taxing system. I really have no problem with it. My hh income for 2014 was above 200k and my effective fed income tax rate was below 14%
I understand we make more, but I'll play along. Ok, say we have a blanket tax rate of 10%. I hypothetically make 500k, middle class makes 50k. So basically I get taxed someone's yearly salary, and that's still not good enough? Or to look at it another way, I pay the taxes of 10 people and they want to complain? Btw I have actually paid pretty close to 50k a few times, and it's irritating when I see people saying I should pay more taxes when I know good and damn well that they use government assistance.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Out of curiosity, at what effective tax rate would you start having problems with it?
For Federal income?
State and local income?
Property?
I don't pay state/local income

My prop tax is about 2.5% of gross income. I'm not sure where I'd have a problem

Old 01-17-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I understand we make more, but I'll play along. Ok, say we have a blanket tax rate of 10%. I hypothetically make 500k, middle class makes 50k. So basically I get taxed someone's yearly salary, and that's still not good enough? Or to look at it another way, I pay the taxes of 10 people and they want to complain? Btw I have actually paid pretty close to 50k a few times, and it's irritating when I see people saying I should pay more taxes when I know good and damn well that they use government assistance.
I'm pretty good at math and I still don't have an issue with it

Old 01-18-2015, 12:20 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,270,883 times
Quote:
I understand we make more, but I'll play along. Ok, say we have a blanket tax rate of 10%. I hypothetically make 500k, middle class makes 50k. So basically I get taxed someone's yearly salary, and that's still not good enough? Or to look at it another way, I pay the taxes of 10 people and they want to complain?
People aren't actually complaining about the guy making $500K paying 35% in taxes. They are complaining about the guys that pay less than they do despite having a higher income.

Who said this?
Quote:
“The rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than that proportion.”
Quote:
Btw I have actually paid pretty close to 50k a few times, and it's irritating when I see people saying I should pay more taxes when I know good and damn well that they use government assistance.
The only problem I have is I don't get much in return. About 75% of our tax dollars get spent on the military, SS, & Medicare. As low as our tax burden is, I really can't justify paying more unless I get something in return.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:26 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
First off, slow your role. I can see the steam coming out of your orifices from here.
Second off, how do you know Person A actually use government assistance except if you know they are say unemployed? I would be surprised if people gladly admit they are on government assistance especially with the recent Rand Paul neighbor welfare war (similar to the McGovern welfare ad during the 1972 election.)
Third off, the issue is that your middle class friend who makes 50K may need that 5K more than you need that 50K taken away in taxes. Think about it, they may not be able to choose to live in a lower COL area based on their industry while you making 500K can basically choose anywhere whether it is more affluent or not.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:58 AM

1,431 posts, read 913,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
People aren't actually complaining about the guy making $500K paying 35% in taxes. They are complaining about the guys that pay less than they do despite having a higher income.
There ARE people that complain about individuals with higher salaries to pay more than they already do. For no particular reason, but "just because they can afford it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
First off, slow your role. I can see the steam coming out of your orifices from here.
Second off, how do you know Person A actually use government assistance except if you know they are say unemployed? I would be surprised if people gladly admit they are on government assistance especially with the recent Rand Paul neighbor welfare war (similar to the McGovern welfare ad during the 1972 election.)
Third off, the issue is that your middle class friend who makes 50K may need that 5K more than you need that 50K taken away in taxes. Think about it, they may not be able to choose to live in a lower COL area based on their industry while you making 500K can basically choose anywhere whether it is more affluent or not.
First off, I'm not even remotely upset lol.

Second off, I pulled the numbers out of thin air, but not that scenario. I posted a question to spur up a little debate on my FB page, and there were a few individuals that commented who I knew for a fact were on government assistance. And they were the main ones blindly advocating to "tax the greedy rich people!!" When I asked why, they proceeded the get defensive. So I concluded that they must have the Robin Hood mentality, which I find foolish.

Finally, we could all use extra money. You never know what kind of plans can be carried out with all that being taxed. What if I wanted to pay tuition? What if I wanted to fund a philanthropist project? What if I wanted to contribute money to some kind of ground-breaking research that would ultimately benefit mankind? I shouldn't be penalized with more taxes because I made good choices in life. I've been on both sides of the fence, it can be done. It's hard, but possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics