Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:08 PM

657 posts, read 697,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
Yeap...nothing of news but this really is true for today's economy and reality.

Poor families pay bigger share of their income in taxes than wealthy families | New Hampshire Voice

The poor will ALWAYS BE poor. This is how America is today and in the foreseeable future. If this is the case, one may as well surrender their citizenship and move to another country. The grass may not be greener but to say that taxation in the USA is out of control is an understatement!!!

What is your view on this? Are you paying too much taxes? What do you think can be done about this?
This is a lie. I am poor myself, but the top 2 quartiles, those making more than 88k pay 106% of the taxes. As a class, the wealthy pay all the taxes.

I posted the figures on this thread..

//www.city-data.com/forum/econo...l#post38054458
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 PM

26,199 posts, read 21,686,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
This is a lie. I am poor myself, but the top 2 quartiles, those making more than 88k pay 106% of the taxes. As a class, the wealthy pay all the taxes.

I posted the figures on this thread..

//www.city-data.com/forum/econo...l#post38054458

You said page 7 of the doc detailed the 106% but I don't see that

Old 01-16-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You said page 7 of the doc detailed the 106% but I don't see that
See the quartile breakdown on the other link. The bottom 40% pays a negative 9% tax rate.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I guess I missed it. You know -- the aisle in Home Depot where you buy a meter you attach to the forehead of people so you know how much they, you know, truly value something.
Value doesn't always have a monetary meaning to it. Value also means important which as another poster mentioned is valued when you have a smaller income, it goes further than those that do make more. IE: is it fair for two people who make different income say one makes $1,000 a week while the other makes $200 a week pay the same $2.25 for the milk?

Last edited by mkpunk; 01-16-2015 at 09:03 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Value doesn't always have a monetary meaning to it. Value also means important which as another poster mentioned is valued when you have a smaller income, it goes further than those that do make more. IE: is it fair for two people who make different income say one makes $1,000 a week while the other makes $200 a week pay the same $2.25 for the milk when?
It's unfortunate, but fair. Is it far that some making 80k can't pay all utilities without going into debt to food on the table. All while those getting snap are hawling 2 carts full of grocery, of which a good chunk will go to waste.

Fair is letting things as God intended. Unfair is when the government or a person of authority uses his/her power to FORCE their will on others. Of course, this is disguised with the words "helping the poor", instead of the appropriate words, buying votes.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times
Quote:
It's unfortunate, but fair. Is it far that some making 80k can't pay all utilities without going into debt to food on the table. All while those getting snap are hawling 2 carts full of grocery, of which a good chunk will go to waste.

Fair is letting things as God intended. Unfair is when the government or a person of authority uses his/her power to FORCE their will on others. Of course, this is disguised with the words "helping the poor", instead of the appropriate words, buying votes.
I can agree on the issues with food stamps (SNAP) but the majority of those making 80k may not be able to pay all those bills (especially in high COL areas like say New York or San Francisco.) Generally though unless we are talking high debt or high COL, most making 80K would in fact do pretty fine rather than the person on SNAP that should SNAP be removed, they would instantly have issues (especially if they aren't given section 8 housing and lifeline (Obamaphone.))

Old 01-16-2015, 09:16 PM

26,199 posts, read 21,686,054 times
Quote:
See the quartile breakdown on the other link. The bottom 40% pays a negative 9% tax rate.

A couple of things I found interesting

Quote:
CBO allocated individual income taxes and the employee’s share of payroll taxes to the households paying those taxes directly. The agency also allocated
the employer’s share of payroll taxes to employees because employers appear to pass on their share of payroll
taxes to employees by paying lower wages than they would otherwise pay.1 Therefore, CBO also added the employer’s share of payroll taxes to households’ earnings in calculating before-tax income.

Quote:
Government transfers consist of cash payments from Social Security, unemployment insurance, Supplemental Security Income, Temporary Assistance for Needy Fami- lies (and its predecessor, Aid to Families with Dependent Children), veterans’ programs, workers’ compensation, and state and local government assistance programs. Such transfers also include the value of in-kind benefits: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program vouchers (popularly known as food stamps); school lunches and breakfasts; housing assistance; and energy assistance and benefits provided by Medicare, Medicaid, and the Chil- dren’s Health Insurance Program. Health care benefits are measured using the Census Bureau’s estimates of the aver- age cost to the government of providing those benefits.4

If I gross up your income by something you never received that changes things and if you only live off ss# it's going to be non taxable but that's something you previously paid for. I know people can have a neg fed rate but I'm not sure I agree with the presentation

Old 01-16-2015, 09:16 PM

353 posts, read 606,584 times
@SarasotaBound1 So you believe people who can't afford food should just starve?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:03 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,942,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowersinthegarden View Post
The poor will NOT always be poor. I was poor 1.5 years ago. I was $6,000 annual income poor. (Did you know if you make less than $13,000 or so, you can't claim full amounts of child credits like EIC?) I felt like my family was on every assistance known to man - food stamps, medicare, medicaid, disability, WIC. Of all of them, WIC was the most soul crushing. I was sold my car to make ends meet poor. I was pregnant with my third just 8 months after my second child was born.

Now we're making over $50,000 a year. Now we pay for our own insurance. Now we're off of those assistances. Now I have car. Now we are paying taxes instead of just taking, taking, taking. Oh yes, there's still some damage from those years. Debts to pay. Medical issues to catch up on, I haven't seen a dentist or optometrist in over half a decade. I'm still trying to recover my health from having 3 babies in 3 years. But I'm not poor now. For the first time in my life, I'm actually starting to consider buying a house. Gotta save up for the 20% down payment first.
What does WIC mean? (By the way, congrats on your new circumstances!)

Old 01-16-2015, 10:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,531,943 times
Quote:

Only if they have children. A childless full time miimum wage worker pays over $500 in federal income tax plus more than $2,000 in payroll taxes if you include the employer's share.

Although I do not at all entertain the notion that these employees would be paid one cent more if the employer's share of SS taxes magically went away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics