Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 09:34 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,305,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Um, no. I can list several mutual funds that have beaten the S&P 500 Stock Index and have low minimums:

FPA Crescent (FPACX)

IRA Minimum: $100
Taxable Account minimum: $1500
Trailing Returns:
20 Year: 11.13%
15 Year: 10.60%
10 Year: 8.35%

Amana Growth (AMAGX)
Taxable Account Minimum: $250
Trailing Returns:
20 Year: 11.38%
15 Year: 5.69%
10 Year: 9.76%

Amana Income (AMANX)
IRA & Taxable acct. minimums are same as above.
Trailing Returns:
20 Year: 9.53% (It trails the S&P 500 Index here, but not by much)
15 Year: 7.87%
10 Year: 10.10%

Returns for Vanguard S&P 500 Stock Index, Institutional Share Class, over the same time period. This fund tracks the S&P 500 Stock Index but requires millions to get its very low expense ratio (unless you can get it through your employer)

20 Year: 9.88%
15 Year: 4.26%
10 Year: 7.68%

Nice try. But I guess you'll have to try again.
Totally unrelated to my point. The point was to invest over the long haul. Generally , for the average person that's in a diversified etf such as spy, vti, etc. or many others. If you are really sophisticated you can easily beat it using other methods such as options etc like us elite like Hillary and me do.

Last edited by Burkmere; 01-31-2015 at 10:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 10:11 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,397,951 times
Yup. Its not just welfare either, its the combination of all the support that makes disincentives. Its why I think a basic income that is unconnected to income and given equally to all will be inevitable.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:19 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,221,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yup. Its not just welfare either, its the combination of all the support that makes disincentives. Its why I think a basic income that is unconnected to income and given equally to all will be inevitable.
So you acknowledge that welfare programs and policies create disincentives.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,796,334 times
Easy, get them mortgages the rich know the poor can't payback and sell those mortgages and millions others to Fanny, Freddie, or AIG. But then the rich will tell you that the Democrats had guns to their heads and forced them to give out bad mortgages, and if you're really a genius, not only will you make money off of American citizens losing their houses, but the government will then bail you out and give you millions for failing. If you're poor and commit robbery at a convience store, you go to jail, if you're rich and steal millions from the taxpayers, you'll get millions more.. That's a fact that no one can deny. Taking advantage of someone who should know better is one thing, taking advantage of people who don't know is wrong. But thats capitalism at its finest.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:35 PM

Yeah, heck James. The lending rules have been liberalized again and since I haven't owned a home in three years I qualify for first time goodie deals!! Thanks to everyone who will be subsidizing my purchase! It's the American way!

If anyone has any other good ideas of how I can take advantage of all the great subsidies this country offers please let me know! Nothing like letting others help me out!

Old 02-01-2015, 07:29 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,112,663 times
L
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Just to add support to what you're saying. I can list several mutual funds that have beaten the S&P 500 Stock Index and have low minimums:

FPA Crescent (FPACX)

Taxable Account minimum: $1500
Trailing Returns:
20 Year: 11.13%
15 Year: 10.60%
10 Year: 8.35%

Amana Growth (AMAGX)
Taxable Account Minimum: $250
Trailing Returns:
20 Year: 11.38%
15 Year: 5.69%
10 Year: 9.76%

Amana Income (AMANX)
IRA & Taxable acct. minimums are same as above.
Trailing Returns:
20 Year: 9.53% (It trails the S&P 500 Index here, but not by much)
15 Year: 7.87%
10 Year: 10.10%

Returns for Vanguard S&P 500 Stock Index, Institutional Share Class, over the same time period. This fund tracks the S&P 500 Stock Index but requires millions to get its very low expense ratio (unless you can get it through your employer)

20 Year: 9.88%
15 Year: 4.26%
10 Year: 7.68%

A few more good, low minimum balance mutual funds are listed here:

Great Funds You Can Own for $500 or Less-Kiplinger

Not that this will convince greywar. He's already made up his mind it's impossible for folks to do anything about their situation.
I have a 401k in work, as do many Americans.

What they don't tell you is that mutual funds can take as much as 2% in "fees" rich investors like warren buffet may have some mutual funds actually buy a lot of stocks individually to avoid the fees. Guys like Buffett and Peter Lynch (fidelity fame) buy stocks they think will remain in the S&P 500 and sit on them. They dont sell their stocks during downturns and actually buy more during that time. Of course theres a risk the company can abruptly fall off and dusintegrate.

Also most guys like Buffett own lots of real estate. Because of our flawed tax code they can write off all the mortgage interest they can write off large amounts of taxes, and pay a low tax rate. They get rich renting to poor people and get no limits on how much interest they can deduct. Also most poor cant afford the 20% down payment to partake in these ventures themselves

Old 02-01-2015, 07:45 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,608,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
L

What they don't tell you is that mutual funds can take as much as 2% in "fees" rich investors like warren buffet may have some mutual funds actually buy a lot of stocks individually to avoid the fees. Guys like Buffett and Peter Lynch (fidelity fame) buy stocks they think will remain in the S&P 500 and sit on them. They dont sell their stocks during downturns and actually buy more during that time. Of course theres a risk the company can abruptly fall off and dusintegrate.
I would argue that this is all the more reason to provide mandatory financial education in middle and high school. People who are paying such high fund fees oftentimes don't know any better (I suspect).

Quote:

Also most guys like Buffett own lots of real estate. Because of our flawed tax code they can write off all the mortgage interest they can write off large amounts of taxes, and pay a low tax rate. They get rich renting to poor people and get no limits on how much interest they can deduct. Also most poor cant afford the 20% down payment to partake in these ventures themselves
If they can't save any money while living in the slums, what makes you think they could pay a mortgage? It is precisely this attitude that "you must allow everyone to buy a house" which crashed our economy in 2008. Have we learned nothing?

Old 02-01-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
L

First of all, Buffet is a Democrat and ver liberal. Second, etfs are very cheap and accomplish the same as mutual funds. Third, with all due respect, your post is drivel and full of errors such as Buffet owning lots of real estate. He owns lots of Berkshire H.

Get them to offer a brokerage account for your deferred comp at work. Then you can use almost no cost etfs. Geez, your company is behind the times!!

You sound like kind of an amateur. I work in the field.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:50 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,120,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Second, etfs are very cheap and accomplish the same as mutual funds.
I don't believe I have ever had a 401k plan that listed an ETF for contribution. Is this common?

Old 02-01-2015, 11:40 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,112,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Third, with all due respect, your post is drivel and full of errors such as Buffet owning lots of real estate. He owns lots of Berkshire H..
He does lots of things. Actually he not to long ago gave an interview about real estate investing. Hes one
Of many, I was just using him as an example.

Yes mortgage interest is deductible, and mutual funds have fees. Thats all I said. I gave you an example of 2 successful investors and listed their particular atrategy. Never said it was the only way, or best case to invest for most. I'm not a professional financial either but thats not the point.

Also when I pay off the rest of my student loans I'll look into a wider variety of investment options. 401k is just one of many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics