Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:54 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,932,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Because we would lose our culture. Just look at what is happening in France and other parts of Europe to see what happens when you replace our culture with an inferior one. Additionally, we are stealing the best and brightest from other parts of the world that could help improve their own nations. Some immigration is good, but full scale replace our own cultures and traditions with another one wouldn't be good.
1. You can't really compare New World countries like the US/Canada with Old World nations like France or Germany. Apples and oranges. Old World nations already have an established culture.
2. Losing one's culture will not happen if there is pressure on immigrants to integrate. The key is not in banning immigrants; it lies in forcing them to culturally integrate. It doesn't need to be an unpleasant process, but it should be a policy that's laid out on the table and both immigrants and citizens should agree to set aside their reservations about such a policy (and yes, there are citizens who don't want immigrants to integrate, which doesn't help the situation at all).

Have you seen Star Trek VI? Factions of both the Klingons and the Federation sabotage peace talks because they prefer to stay apart. These two enemy factions actually cooperate to sabotage the talks because they have the same goal in mind. It's the same thing with uniculturalism - there are both immigrants and citizens who overtly or covertly don't want uniculturalism. The flawed policy of multiculturalism is subtly supported by many racists who abhor the idea of having many races under one culture. Similarly, the only immigrants who support multiculturalism are those who have already made up their minds about not integrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 06:10 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,122,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
You don't know the left, do you?

Immigrants are told that they should ditch their cars, embrace whatever left values, and do what the left dictates. Tell me how is that not forced integration? The left is all about integration and coercion.
Make your case.

I'm the 1st born son of immigrants and I don't see this happening.

Integration occurred on their own accord. Our culture just happens to be very compatible with US culture. We integrate well and don't look down when one of our own decides to marry outside of the culture boundary (I am married to a caucasian and so is a few of my relatives). Educational system was modeled after the US educational system. English is spoken. My home country graduates a high number of medical professionals and many of them find home in the US.

That's just our story.

Indians I work with value education as highly. They cherish their culture ever more so. They tend to clump and group together in like communities. They love to start businesses and be self sustaining. I don't see any forced integration among that group. Now I have learned by being around them that their cultures vary quite differently.... from different parts of the vary large country of India. Not all are vegetarians. Not all follow Hinduism. Two of my close workers are Christian. Even their dialects are often not compatible and depending on where they are from show different levels of master of the English language.

I don't see "forced" integration....

CHinese are equally as diverse. They are also highly educated and have differences depending on where they originated; Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Mainland china. Not all of them look for like groups for comfort. Many don't really observe religion as it was discouraged in certain areas. All of them are highly protective of their freedoms as US immigrants... especially those from Mainland China. I find those from Hong Kong to integrate just as easily as my own.... very westernized culture as well. All of them have very good English and are often helping us with the language barriers that might exist with those from Taiwan and China.

I don't see "forced" integration...

All three groups (that I have observed) integrate differently in their own ways into our culture. I've been fortunate that none of those I work with express an overt pride in their home country/culture... I find that annoying and makes me suspect of their true intentions of their immigration.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:18 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,122,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
In the days gone by, they were encouraged to integrate and be fully American. No longer. Immigration post 1965 is NOT like it was in the Statue Of Liberty era.
That is my point. Thanks.

In clarification to my previous post, my parents immigrated in the early 70s. My parent's (Engineer and nurse) experience with their process of immigration was quite good. Their professions made it easier as there was a need for engineers and nursing. I don't recall them telling me about being "forced" in any way.

My father in fact first came as a tourist to accompany two uncles undergoing the immigration process. He liked what he saw, returned home and re-applied for immigration. Moved over.. started a life... then went back home to bring my mother over.

He's very much US "American" now. Proud to be one and very much involved politically. He did that on his own accord... usually referencing his own experiences dealing with corruption in his home country.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:08 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,882,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
Not China (I would agree US is an improvement over China), but definitely most other developing countries around the world.
A business partner of mine is a professor of electrical engineering at MIT (& ethnic Chinese). His observation: 20 years ago, Chinese students would come to MIT, earn degrees, and 9 of 10 would stay in the USA because of the opportunity to earn their fortune either as entrepreneurs or executives of large companies.

Nowadays, he observes that 9 of 10 Chinese graduates of MIT return to China for the opportunity to earn their fortune.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:34 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,916,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
If they are legitimate immigrants, I don't see the issue.

If they are illegals, you should use the word "illegals".
So you didn't click on the link and see that it was an ARTICLE? I didn't write it.

You don't see a PROBLEM that 42% of new WELFARE are IMMIGRANTS?

Yet another person who has NO IDEA whatsoever about the historical context of immigrants who came here. You didn't just get off the boat at Ellis Island and sign up for a check.

And before THAT, the UK was sending their family members even children to work as INDENTURED servants in exchange for citizenship. Rather than literally starve over there.

Do you even KNOW about Homesteading? it did NOT INCLUDE WELFARE and taxpayer footing your bills for everything like SCHOOL, healthcare etc. You actually had to CONTRIBUTE something.

The Homestead Act of 1862 Even under the Progressive HERO FDR you were supposed to pass some test or something and promise to speak ENGLISH. I forget now because I like to pretend he never happened.

Quote:
in 1862, the Homestead Act was passed and signed into law. The new law established a three-fold homestead acquisition process: filing an application, improving the land, and filing for deed of title. Any U.S. citizen, or intended citizen, who had never borne arms against the U.S. Government could file an application and lay claim to 160 acres of surveyed Government land. For the next 5 years, the homesteader had to live on the land and improve it by building a 12-by-14 dwelling and growing crops. After 5 years, the homesteader could file for his patent (or deed of title) by submitting proof of residency and the required improvements to a local land office
Hell, I even had an ILLEGAL cousin who jumped ship FOUR times and kept coming back. The final time he got hidden in the basement of a restaurant, NEVER SAW THE LIGHT OF DAY FOR TWO YEARS, did all the dishes and cleaning for a small pay. SAVED his money, paid $2000 to marry a girl and became legal. THIS was also decades ago. Dope. All he had to do was walk across the border and sign up for free stuff I guess.

He then joined the Air Force, became a career officer and they remained married for life.

NEVER TOOK A DIME FROM THE TAXPAYER.

ETA: I see one of your first posts here you state "I am a foreigner".

So YEP. No clue, but eager to lecture Americans without the slightest idea of our Constitutional foundation and law.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:45 AM

574 posts, read 697,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
A business partner of mine is a professor of electrical engineering at MIT (& ethnic Chinese). His observation: 20 years ago, Chinese students would come to MIT, earn degrees, and 9 of 10 would stay in the USA because of the opportunity to earn their fortune either as entrepreneurs or executives of large companies.

Nowadays, he observes that 9 of 10 Chinese graduates of MIT return to China for the opportunity to earn their fortune.
Oh, I don't disagree. My main issue with China is not whether it has opportunity, but its system of government and lack of personal freedoms. As much as the US is a surveillance/nanny state, it's got nothing on China. And if you become a Chinese billionaire, you're very likely to be murdered (by your own government?). As such, I would view the US as an upgrade from China in many regards.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:14 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,932,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So you didn't click on the link and see that it was an ARTICLE? I didn't write it.

You don't see a PROBLEM that 42% of new WELFARE are IMMIGRANTS?

Yet another person who has NO IDEA whatsoever about the historical context of immigrants who came here. You didn't just get off the boat at Ellis Island and sign up for a check.

And before THAT, the UK was sending their family members even children to work as INDENTURED servants in exchange for citizenship. Rather than literally starve over there.

Do you even KNOW about Homesteading? it did NOT INCLUDE WELFARE and taxpayer footing your bills for everything like SCHOOL, healthcare etc. You actually had to CONTRIBUTE something.

blablablablablablablabla....
I can tell you have never been to university or even college. One of the things they teach you is how to convey your point effectively in writing without using random capitalization of words. Try rephrasing your post in a non-schizophrenic manner and I might take the time to read it. I know a lot of mentally ill people who write exactly the way you do and I'm not going to waste my time here

Old 02-07-2015, 10:48 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,221,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
OH, you mean THESE ~children? You mean flooding the country with new Democrat voters, don't you?

NO.

NONSENSE. You're conveniently conflating ILLEGAL ALIENS and amnesty and the Executive Branch overstepping their constitutional authority with legal immigration. NOT A SINGLE GOP member is complaining or even talking about cutting EXISTING LEGAL IMMIGRATION policy let alone STRICTER LAWS .

In fact, because they are in bed with organizations like The Chamber of Commerce, they're all FOR upping the legal immigration numbers and visas. To the detriment of our CITIZENS. Especially the middle class.

My husband was an immigrant. Who came here with a masters degree not being illiterate, unskilled or destitute like the above^^.

He did it LEGALLY and didn't come sashaying over the border and applying for welfare. And in 1978 under CARTER, my brother in law and cousin got deported for working two nights a week at an ethnic restaurant without papers WHILE THEY WERE IN MEDICAL SCHOOL WHICH THEY FULLY PAID FOR IN CASH.

You really have no clue about what's going on here historically or currently.

AND BTW, that RINO Bush is ALL FOR WHOLESALE AMNESTY and "an accelerated path to citizenship". HIS words, not mine. So yeah, "not all of them". Which is WHY he will not be the next president.

EVERY SINGLE elected GOP person from the past cycle except for the guy in Florida, campaigned AGAINST AMNESTY and Obama flooding the border with new Democrats.

We need to be voting in OUR citizens' INTERESTS, NOT to permanently fund an underclass of cheap labor and welfare recipients. And NOT to give certain industries like tech more and more visas just in exchange for their political support. CORRUPTION.

42% of New Medicaid Signups Are Immigrants, for chrissakes.
Good luck with that. The Democratic Party wants to give him a city to undocumented immigrants. They CDs immigrants as future voters. And for most of these blue-collar immigrants they will indeed be voters for the Democratic Party in the future for social services and welfare. The Democratic Party is also going to support moreimmigrant visas because the high-tech industry and business community very important to the electability of the Democratic Party. The Republican Party is just as conflicted on this issue. They want access to a cheaper labor for their business community. Without immigration, how are you going to get cheaper labor? They also want to prevent unions. Without constant flow of labor, how is business going to access flexible labor markets?

Simply put, without immigration, unions would be rising. And that is something that concerns both the right leaning Wall Street and the left leaning Silicon Valley.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:15 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,804,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
1. You can't really compare New World countries like the US/Canada with Old World nations like France or Germany. Apples and oranges. Old World nations already have an established culture.
2. Losing one's culture will not happen if there is pressure on immigrants to integrate. The key is not in banning immigrants; it lies in forcing them to culturally integrate. It doesn't need to be an unpleasant process, but it should be a policy that's laid out on the table and both immigrants and citizens should agree to set aside their reservations about such a policy (and yes, there are citizens who don't want immigrants to integrate, which doesn't help the situation at all).

Have you seen Star Trek VI? Factions of both the Klingons and the Federation sabotage peace talks because they prefer to stay apart. These two enemy factions actually cooperate to sabotage the talks because they have the same goal in mind. It's the same thing with uniculturalism - there are both immigrants and citizens who overtly or covertly don't want uniculturalism. The flawed policy of multiculturalism is subtly supported by many racists who abhor the idea of having many races under one culture. Similarly, the only immigrants who support multiculturalism are those who have already made up their minds about not integrating.
But that's just the problem. The ones pushing the multicultural poison are the same ones hell bent on importing more of an underclass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics