Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,222,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
Actually, I think this country is already past saving, so I hate to have all the well-educated people leaving a country I might move to one day.

These immigrants come from less materialistic and entitled countries, but then absorb our values and are damaged by them. Ultimately they don't change our culture for the better, but are changed by it. Let's face it: the US is a country in decline, taken over by the entitled, the materialistic, the politically correct, and the crony capitalists. I really don't want to train the rest of the world to think and act like us. Our media has already done enough damage on a worldwide basis.
You are a bit too late. The Chinese have inherited the American dream, like when it made sense before the left took over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:20 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,589,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Economically, we do not necessarily ahve to rely on birth rate being at a certain level. We get an infinite supply of adult immigrants, who find work and pay tax here immediately. There is no baby sitting and waiting for people to grow up to be tax payers. You can get tax revenue NOW by immigration. No child care, no early education investment. It's all done by other countries.

We need not be concerned with low birth rate.
Well where I live its mostly immigrants having children. Well over 50% of the parents of elementary school kids are foreign born.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:22 PM

25,607 posts, read 17,334,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
A country without children.

And are the immigrants going to be sterilized upon entry?
Heck no. Let's brainwash them into thinking the Democratic Party is here to save them and let them have babies. Lots of them.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:25 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,589,078 times
Quote:
Immigration definitely helps us, but think about the countries they're coming from. We're essentially taking their best and brightest away from them, meaning these countries have less ability to get ahead themselves. It's not sustainable.
Are you saying boo hoo for China?

Old 02-03-2015, 10:57 PM

574 posts, read 697,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Are you saying boo hoo for China?
Not China (I would agree US is an improvement over China), but definitely most other developing countries around the world.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:05 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Quote:
Economically, we do not necessarily ahve to rely on birth rate being at a certain level. We get an infinite supply of adult immigrants, who find work and pay tax here immediately. There is no baby sitting and waiting for people to grow up to be tax payers. You can get tax revenue NOW by immigration. No child care, no early education investment. It's all done by other countries.

Do you really view your children as nothing more than upcoming working immigrants who will work and pay tax here?Kids are a lot more than just future tax payers ,they can also be a lot of fun as they grow up.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:54 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
It's not much fun to have an adult immigrant on your knee, telling them stories, or tucking them in at night, singing lullabies to them. Then again, they will probably not draw crayon pictures on your walls, or pour all the cereal out on the kitchen floor, looking for the free gift. So, there are pros and cons!

Sorry, I was just intrigued by the thread title...

Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,007,440 times
Quote:
Not China (I would agree US is an improvement over China)
Not as much of an improvement as you might think. They're catching up fast. I expect we'll be surpassed within 20 years.

If we were smart we would embark on building projects and research investment not seen since the Great Depression.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:44 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,777,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
For some of us the decision to have a child (or not) is not based on providing labor for someone else.

I do agree that we have an immigration problem
Yes, I can honestly say the thought of my kids working at the time they were born never crossed my mind. That never played into our decision to have children!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
It's not much fun to have an adult immigrant on your knee, telling them stories, or tucking them in at night, singing lullabies to them. Then again, they will probably not draw crayon pictures on your walls, or pour all the cereal out on the kitchen floor, looking for the free gift. So, there are pros and cons!

Sorry, I was just intrigued by the thread title...
Thanks...I now have coffee on my monitor. Goodness, what a visual...

Can you imagine the pictures of when you first brought the brand new immigrant home? Or got their first haircut? Oh goodness.....

Old 02-04-2015, 08:25 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,412,761 times
Quote:

Humans are a little more than just dollar signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics