Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 11:26 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
This cannot work.

If EVERYONE practices the kind of financial discipline as the man in this story, the entire economy would grind to a halt for lack of customers. .
Someone always brings up such nonsense. This is addressed in the post below:

What if Everyone Became Frugal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 11:26 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? In what universe? Rents in Portland are up 40%.
I was talking about buying it. I know rents are up.

My house in Chicago, which appraised at $800,000 at the peak, just appraised for $600,000. This is typical in my area and Chicago is a big market. I realize transaction prices are more relevant than appraisal prices but the latter is all I have.

The Case-Shiller 10-city index was down more than 30% but it has rebounded a little. S&P/Case-Shiller 10-City Composite Home Price Index - S&P Dow Jones Indices

Are people's memories really this short? We just went through a massive housing price collapse. The market has mostly not recovered.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Housing can't cost more than average in Vermont. That is usually the elephant in the budgets of low earners, so that is usually the best advantage for a low earner to have..
Whatever. People who make excuses will always make excuses.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Doesn't even make it into the middle class where i live.
You're living in a fantasy world. Where I live in Santa Clara County, CA, the median household income is under 100K, and we're the highest income county in the nation.

This goes right back to people only comparing themselves to those who have more and ignoring everyone else further down the economic ladder.

Santa Clara County has highest median household income in nation, but wealth gap widens - San Jose Mercury News

Old 02-13-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
When wages go up, people just bid up the price of housing.
Correct. This is one thing I can agree with you on.

Most expensive cities have housing supply problems, exacerbated by overly restrictive zoning.

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-14-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 02-14-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how you can join the middle class on $48,603 a year in Oxnard Ca.
I can tell you how. I live in Santa Clara County, which is more expensive than Oxnard, on around that salary. I'm sure you wouldn't consider me middle class, but I think your idea of middle class is incredibly inflated. The statistics are I gave in a previous post give objective credence to my point of view.

Here is how I live:

--In a studio apartment
--I live a block away from my job which enables me to......
--Drive an 18 year old car
--No cable TV
--No i-phone or expensive phone plan.
--Good benefits at my job, including relatively cheap health insurance
--I don't have any kids (and never wanted them....the silver lining to being gay)

I am 44 and my net worth (much of which is in my retirement savings plan at work, but also in IRAs and regular savings accounts and some mutual funds in regular taxable accounts) is over 7X my gross income.

Basically, I live the single gay male version of Mr. Money Mustache's lifestyle (who spends 25K per year for a family of 3, but his house is paid off), except I rent and eat out more. As he says, the typical middle class lifestyle in America is an exploding volcano of wastefulness, and I concur.

And yes, I would say I'm pretty happy. The lack of a commute adds a lot to my quality of life. Once the basics are paid for, happiness is an inside job.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:54 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Whatever. People who make excuses will always make excuses.

??? Low cost of housing is not an excuse.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
I can tell you how. I live in Santa Clara County, which is more expensive than Oxnard, on around that salary. I'm sure you wouldn't consider me middle class, but I think your idea of middle class is incredibly inflated. The statistics are I gave in a previous post give objective credence to my point of view.

Here is how I live:

--In a studio apartment
--No cable TV
--I don't have any kids (and never wanted them....the silver lining to being gay)

I am 44 and my net worth (much of which is in my retirement savings plan at work, but also in IRAs and regular savings accounts and some mutual funds in regular taxable accounts) is over 7X my gross income.

Basically, I live the single gay male version of Mr. Money Mustache's lifestyle (who spends 25K per year for a family of 3, but his house is paid off), except I rent and eat out more. As he says, the typical middle class lifestyle in America is an exploding volcano of wastefulness, and I concur.

And yes, I would say I'm pretty happy. The lack of a commute adds a lot to my quality of life. Once the basics are paid for, happiness is an inside job.

Ha! I live in a room in an 8-person house with no car, no cable TV, and no i-phone or expensive phone plan. I'm sure you would never accept my level of frugality.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:19 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:

Here is how I live:

--In a studio apartment
--No cable TV

You seem to be doing well on a modest income, and you have made many thoughtful posts on the economy and related issues, but it's a stretch to call your way of life middle class. Some people have, like, kids and stuff. A house or large apartment in a good school district, one car per wage earner, and money for needs that really do come up when you have a family are basics of middle-class life.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:20 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Someone always brings up such nonsense. This is addressed in the post below:

What if Everyone Became Frugal?
And that blog post does not answer what might happen if everyone simply quit spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics