Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:04 AM

658 posts, read 724,769 times

Advertisements

Yeap...nothing of news but this really is true for today's economy and reality.

Poor families pay bigger share of their income in taxes than wealthy families | New Hampshire Voice

The poor will ALWAYS BE poor. This is how America is today and in the foreseeable future. If this is the case, one may as well surrender their citizenship and move to another country. The grass may not be greener but to say that taxation in the USA is out of control is an understatement!!!

What is your view on this? Are you paying too much taxes? What do you think can be done about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:44 AM

353 posts, read 604,941 times
The old cliche about the Golden Rule ("He who has the gold makes the rules") is alive and well in the US tax system. The whole system is Of, By, and For the rich. Tax rates for the very wealthy have plummeted in the last decade, yet we continually hear how the wealthy are being "taxed to death".
I recall reading a story several years ago where Warren Buffett was talking about how much higher the tax rate was for his $40k earning secretary than it was for himself, and how ridiculous it was. Since then, it's just become more ridiculous. I'd love to pay that 16%-ish rate that the top 400 pay.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:50 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times
The report only addresses state and local taxes, which is mostly income, sales and property tax.

The rich pay a greater percentage of their income in income tax. However, the proportion of their income that they spend on goods is far lower than lower income households, so therefore they pay much less sales tax (as a percentage of income) than lower income households. I think that's just math, not out of control taxation.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:57 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Sales tax is regressive in nature but it's not shocking the left out federal income tax becuase that would kill their angle. Further more if you factored in earned income credit and other govt benefits not considered comp it would make the article seem silly

Old 01-16-2015, 08:03 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
Yeap...nothing of news but this really is true for today's economy and reality.

Poor families pay bigger share of their income in taxes than wealthy families | New Hampshire Voice

The poor will ALWAYS BE poor. This is how America is today and in the foreseeable future. If this is the case, one may as well surrender their citizenship and move to another country. The grass may not be greener but to say that taxation in the USA is out of control is an understatement!!!

What is your view on this? Are you paying too much taxes? What do you think can be done about this?

I'm reading "The Grapes of Wrath" right now by John Steinbeck. If you haven't ever read it, I'd suggest you do.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:13 AM

658 posts, read 724,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I'm reading "The Grapes of Wrath" right now by John Steinbeck. If you haven't ever read it, I'd suggest you do.
this book sounds familiar...I think they made a movie out of this in 1940s??? I will have a read at it at some point.

thanks!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 AM

353 posts, read 604,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Sales tax is regressive in nature but it's not shocking the left out federal income tax becuase that would kill their angle. Further more if you factored in earned income credit and other govt benefits not considered comp it would make the article seem silly

The very wealthy don't get their income in the form of wages, they get it in the form of capital gains, dividends, etc. Yet still they cry about the tax rate they pay on that tiny fraction of their incomes.

Quote:
In 2010, the top 400 taxpayers made 6.4 percent of their income in salaries and wages, down from 16.7 percent in 2000.
From this Bloomberg article: Top 400 U.S. Households Paid 18% Average Tax Rate in 2010 - Bloomberg

Old 01-16-2015, 09:39 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
The very wealthy don't get their income in the form of wages, they get it in the form of capital gains, dividends, etc. Yet still they cry about the tax rate they pay on that tiny fraction of their incomes.

From this Bloomberg article: Top 400 U.S. Households Paid 18% Average Tax Rate in 2010 - Bloomberg
Are you sure it's the same people complaining? I know several people in the top 1%. They make most of their income in salary (physicians, lawyers, entertainment etc) and pay a TON in taxes. They are nowhere near the top 400 households.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:10 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:

Well it's a shame your article concerns the irs and the op concerns state and local. I do understand the cap gains difference. What do the bottom 400 households pay? Or rather what's there effective negative rate?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:31 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
The old cliche about the Golden Rule ("He who has the gold makes the rules") is alive and well in the US tax system. The whole system is Of, By, and For the rich. Tax rates for the very wealthy have plummeted in the last decade, yet we continually hear how the wealthy are being "taxed to death".
I recall reading a story several years ago where Warren Buffett was talking about how much higher the tax rate was for his $40k earning secretary than it was for himself, and how ridiculous it was. Since then, it's just become more ridiculous. I'd love to pay that 16%-ish rate that the top 400 pay.
The Buffett comments are a lightning rod for the rich as the rich (and corporate apologists) say he is wrong and we are crippled by taxes and that the economy can do better with even lower taxes. Meanwhile in a number of cases there are business who are given tax credits bigger than their tax expense. I'm not saying whether Buffett's comments were true or not but it does start to make you scratch your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics