Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 03:21 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
If anyone hates paying the tax rates on the money they make , send the money to me . I will happily pay the taxes on it.
My brother always says, I hope to have to pay a million in taxes this year. And I think some years he had to... thanks to his positive attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 04:07 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
and by that I mean liquid assets worth a million. Say for example someone lives in an average suburban home(say 300-400k), has a decent car and a steady income and he has a net worth of one million dollars.
By who's standards?

Mind you, in countries ridden with inflation a lot of people are "millionaires", but those "millions" don't buy them much! Take Italy as an example.

Then, I seriously doubt that "so many" are millionaires in the US that it is no longer some kind of "trend"!

The people you name above are, and will continue to be a minority. To pay that much for a house is also quite ridiculous.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:14 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
$300-400k for a house?...In L.A that barely puts you in a rundown house in some of the worst areas these days!..Of course property prices in L.A have gotten ridiculous.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:38 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You didn't actually describe what's so sneaky about it
Then obviously your not smart as you think you are.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:40 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
If anyone hates paying the tax rates on the money they make , send the money to me . I will happily pay the taxes on it.
Since people love giving their money away so much hey, give me some money too.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:03 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,902,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yet low expectations has no comment on this, ...
Quote:
hmmm, I wonder, ...
That's twice that you have quoted yourself this week in order to make this personal. .... < Yawn! >

Oh, and BTW, it's Lowexpectations. There is no space like, say, the book title: Great Expectations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My brother always says, I hope to have to pay a million in taxes this year. And I think some years he had to... thanks to his positive attitude.
Just to be clear, having a million check to cut on Apr 15 is not the same as having a million dollar tax liability in a given year
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
By who's standards?

Mind you, in countries ridden with inflation a lot of people are "millionaires", but those "millions" don't buy them much! Take Italy as an example.
OK, I'll take it. This thread is about people with $1million in assets. What doe Italy or inflation in any other country have to do with how much that money will buy?

Last edited by IDtheftV; 04-22-2015 at 06:25 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 06:32 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Then obviously your not smart as you think you are.
You're not as smart

Vs

Your not as smart

Hmm

Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Of course I am grateful for being in a high tax bracket, but that doesn't mean it's fair for the top few percent to pay most of the income taxes. Government could be much smaller, more efficient, and less obstructive to entrepreneurship and growth.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
This is an example at not really looking at the entire possibility. If you have a house worth 1.3mm and are living off of ss or pensions you could certainly move to a lower cost of living a monetize your millionaire status. Just because it's all tied up in real estate doesn't mean it's not real or couldn't provide for a different lifestyle
Well there are tax consequences... both income and property tax depending on if and where you moved and made a purchase... plus selling has it's own costs and then there is the Obama Health Care surtax...

Most that execute what you are saying sell and move out of State... friends have moved to Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho and Oregon... Nevada too...

None of this helps when you are leaving your friends and family behind...

Renting is also problematic because many can live in the Million Dollar homes for much less than renting something more modest...

Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Well there are tax consequences... both income and property tax depending on if and where you moved and made a purchase... plus selling has it's own costs and then there is the Obama Health Care surtax...

Most that execute what you are saying sell and move out of State... friends have moved to Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho and Oregon... Nevada too...

None of this helps when you are leaving your friends and family behind...

Renting is also problematic because many can live in the Million Dollar homes for much less than renting something more modest...

The first 500k in cap gains could be tax free for a married couple and more if you purchase another house I belive. All that aside it's all about choices. Being a millionaire, even house rich you have option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics