Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,061 times

Advertisements

Everytime ,I want to access my bank account,WARNING: its said,I must add my SS# to my bank account (join account with my mom for 20 years), and my mom pass away,five years ago,and i only accsess it only one time in the last 20 years , but i was in very bad relationship with with my ex(Who wanted to access to my money so bad)So For the last 5 years,I have to apply for medicaid for my 2 kids plus food stump. (I never mention the bank account in the medicaid application ),Because i support my ex and the kids. So ,now after the divorce, i try to access the money in the bank,or cancel the medicaid , and i couldnt Please help, thanks very kindly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 08:41 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Go in and talk to your bank in person.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:26 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
If it was a joint account, ex has same access to money so you can't close it on your own I think

Old 05-02-2015, 02:07 PM

493 posts, read 443,087 times
To give some meaningful advice, I think we need more details in your financial situation. To begin with, here are the questions:

1. Is the money in bank 100% belong to you & your mom? Or, your Ex has a portion as well?
2. Are you able to sustain living expense without this money in the bank?
3. Are you financial secured enough to get off medicaid?
4. What's the future income looks like for you (looking 1-3 years ahead)? is it stable?

Old 05-03-2015, 11:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
As you now own the bank account you must give the bank your SS#. Federal laws require it before you can access your money. That is why it says you must give it to them.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:03 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
"For the last 5 years,I have to apply for medicaid for my 2 kids plus food stump. (I never mention the bank account in the medicaid application ),Because i support my ex and the kids."

You committed fraud. Had you assigned over the account to the ex and kids five or six years ago, you might have been OK. At this point you need an attorney.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:23 AM

242 posts, read 244,707 times
Maybe you should have fully disclosed on the Medicaid application. My tax dollars would appreciate it.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:17 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel devereaux View Post
Lack of disclosure is not tantamount to committing "fraud". Fraud is not the same as "intent to commit fraud". You have not been charged cy any enforcement agency or or found guilty by any court or forum of "fraud". It's unlikely that you're going to be charged by the feds for this.
<chuckle> If a person slashes another with a knife, killing them, it is still murder - whether or not the government and courts announce it as such. Legally, the person is accused of murder until convicted, but the action is still the same. It isn't magically turned into full innocence.

Fraud WAS committed. Failure to disclose financial resources available when applying for government aid is fraud. I do agree that the cost of dragging it through the legal system would likely only be pursued if the bank account held a few hundred thousand dollars. It is much more likely that the past benefits would have to be repaid out of the windfall and the poster possibly disqualified from receiving further benefits, based upon state law.

I suspect (and this is not legal advice), that an attorney might be able to get the account deemed an undistributed part of the mother's estate. However, if it was not accessed for a period of time, in some states the money in the account would be declared "lost" and placed into state coffers, to be returned upon claim. What would happen in that situation is up for grabs. Hence, the OP needs to discuss the situation with a lawyer.

I have to admire some folks attempt to fairy dance their way out of responsibility.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:06 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,821,393 times
Go to the bank with your moms death certificate and get her name off of the account.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:23 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag010101 View Post
Everytime ,I want to access my bank account,WARNING: its said,I must add my SS# to my bank account (join account with my mom for 20 years), and my mom pass away,five years ago,and i only accsess it only one time in the last 20 years , but i was in very bad relationship with with my ex(Who wanted to access to my money so bad)So For the last 5 years,I have to apply for medicaid for my 2 kids plus food stump. (I never mention the bank account in the medicaid application ),Because i support my ex and the kids. So ,now after the divorce, i try to access the money in the bank,or cancel the medicaid , and i couldnt Please help, thanks very kindly
If you know it's the verified bank site it should not be a problem, but generally banks do not ask for that online. Maybe just the last 4 digits for verification. I would call the bank just to make sure you are not dealing with a fraudulent site. They may be even able to take the info by phone when you call the bank and let you use the online site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics