Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 03:24 PM

816 posts, read 967,846 times

Advertisements

What I meant is that without the means to education, the poor can never improve their lot. Social mobility can provide great hope. If we have access to quality education, perhaps our children can do better than us. But from what I see in California, I think poor people don't have access to good school district. the concept of school districts in a public schooling system is an abomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 03:51 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,654,179 times
In this country, we used to have de jure apartheid schooling. Now we just have it on a de facto basis, and we think we are doing so well. Poor kids in general cannot attend schools in a strong school district unless they are also really good at basketball or football. This is one of the reasons why we and the UK tend to be tied for last place in terms of inter-generational economic mobility among developed countries. If you are born wealthy here, you are very likely to remain wealthy. If you are born poor, you are very likely to remain poor. This is just one more way in which the reality of America diverges from the image.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:24 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Whats fascinating is that our country is more wealthy and prosperous year after year, and yet....only the rich are getting richer, not the people working to make it happen. Reading this here you'd think that the US was not getting wealthier.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:28 PM

The headline story here really is about the shifting distribution of income and wealth, but that's not a curtain you are supposed to peak behind.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:48 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Whats fascinating is that our country is more wealthy and prosperous year after year, and yet....only the rich are getting richer, not the people working to make it happen. Reading this here you'd think that the US was not getting wealthier.
I'm not sure that the US is getting welfare. In general we are declining

No the people aren't working to make it happen. They are widening they are rioting. They are blaming the 1%. They have a mentality that somehow they're not supposed to do certain kind of jobs. They have an inflated expectations of lifestyle. Until Americans began to seriously recognize the importance of competing in the global economy and learning to be competitive, nothing will change

Old 05-01-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government.

It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. [Source Unknown]
United States is almost there. I just hope that the dictatorship won't happen in my lifetime

Old 05-02-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
There is a sense of entitlement among some workers. There is also a sense of entitlement to high pay among management, all the way up to the CEO.

I work on the ground level and see first hand what is heading for America like a tidal wave... They are the "numbers are hard" generation. They have been neglected. A failed educational system coupled by a crappy job market and lack of opportunities for training... If they don't make the cut, jobs will simply go elsewhere. Our government has practically installed an express lane for which companies can use to export livelihoods.

This is the worst time to have grown up with the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. The world is more competitive than ever.
The way people will wake up is when they see that other people are getting ahead And staying competitive. Life will change people. If the young want to keep that everybody gets a trophy mindset ,go for it. It only harms them. Employers can always hire immigrants and guest workers to get things done. If the overeducated under employed and entitled America worker who doesn't want to change, then step aside.

I would like to remind people that it is not employers who will adapt to The labor market. It is workers who will adapt to it employers. Liberals want to be fiscally irresponsible and just throw money at problems. Those problems will not be fixed with their infinite number of money. Employers know that money will resolve these issues and they have long pursuit Altenative plans.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:04 AM

In my view, the nation is more at risk from believers in hapless partisan slop and bilge.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:37 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
I'm not sure that the US is getting welfare. In general we are declining

No the people aren't working to make it happen. They are widening they are rioting. They are blaming the 1%. They have a mentality that somehow they're not supposed to do certain kind of jobs. They have an inflated expectations of lifestyle. Until Americans began to seriously recognize the importance of competing in the global economy and learning to be competitive, nothing will change
I think you meant to say "wealthier" not "welfare". As such my response is based on that since otherwise....your response doesnt fit what I stated. If I am incorrect feel free to let me know.

its 2015, lets pick a arbitrary data set. 2005-2015 sounds good. Picked by 10 being a nice round number, and it hits before and after the big recession. Fair enough? Now lets go look:

Real GDP by year (ie inflation adjusted)
2005: 14.37 trillion
2015: 16.3 trillion(estimated obviously, but the year before was similiar so its a reasonable estimate)

this is reflected in personal income data as well:
2005: 11.4 trillion
2014: 13.5 trillion

The reason you dont think we are becoming more prosperous? Because for the vast majority of folks we arent. The top 1% took 90% of the gains. During the height of the recession they lost more then average, but within a couple years quickly gained all that back..and then more.

Your argument is that while we are wealthier then ever, people need to recognize that we need to.....live on less so that those at the top can live on more.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Your argument is that while we are wealthier then ever, people need to recognize that we need to.....live on less so that those at the top can live on more.
It's the standard conservative economic argument -- from Reagan to Romney to Ryan, Walker, and the Koch brothers cabal. Feed the rich, ignore not just the poor, but everybody else. It's been the push from the right for more than 30 years. One day, we better start to push back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics