Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:44 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times

Advertisements

Jesus said that in this world you would have tribulation, but to be of good cheer because He had overcome the world! My pastor would frequently say that this was one promise we didn't put up on the fridge But it was true, nevertheless. Just thought it might be interesting to hear what you consider to be/have been your greatest trial, tribulation, challenge or struggle you've encountered since becoming a Christian. How do you feel the Lord helped you overcome it? Do you feel you gained any particular wisdom that you didn't previously have from it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
Do you mean life's challenges since we became Christian or just challenges because we believe in Christ? Sorry but I'm a cradle Catholic so ever since I can remember I have believed in Christ...so I'm not sure if that is what you mean or not.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Do you mean life's challenges since we became Christian or just challenges because we believe in Christ? Sorry but I'm a cradle Catholic so ever since I can remember I have believed in Christ...so I'm not sure if that is what you mean or not.
Ok, let's just make it more general to avoid confusion. What has been the biggest trial or challenge of your life (related to anything) and how do you feel God helped you deal with it?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Ok, let's just make it more general to avoid confusion. What has been the biggest trial or challenge of your life (related to anything) and how do you feel God helped you deal with it?
2 years old - father and mother divorced, father off to vietnam
4 years old - maternal grandfather died, to me that was my father
6 years old - mother died in car accident, father was tracked down and gave custody of us to abusive maternal grandmother
7 years old - moved in with aunt and uncle (w/grandmother), loved aunt as second mother
8 years old - grandmother and uncle had fight, moved us out and never saw dear aunt again
8-12 years old - was reapeatedly beaten and told my mother died to get away from me and other pearls of wisdom by my grandmother
12 years old - grandmother tried to stab me and I pushed her, she flew across the room into a wall...this is the day I realized she couldn't hurt me anymore.
15 years old - grandmother died and courts tracked down my father, moved in with him after seeing him only once (the day he signed us over to grandmother) since I was 2
17 years old - after two years of being made to feel like a boarder by my stepmonster and father, I left home went to live with a friend and graduated high school.
18 years old- went to college, paid for it 100% by myself and struggled all the way until graduation.
22 years old - tried to reconcile with my father, only to be hurt emotionally again, decided not to include him in my life going forward.
25 years old - met my husband at my best friend's wedding, instantly disliked him.
26 years old - met my husband again, became friends, then started dating. - I think this was God making me take a second look.
27 yearsl old - married my husband, was extrememly successful at my career all was great! Finally my reward!
30 years old - got pregnant with my first son, went into heart failure, almost died, was saved by chance (this is obviously where God stepped in here) and was told not to have any more children.
34 years old - My niece Anna was born, suffered stroke 3 hours postpartum and shouldn't have survived, prayed furiously, arranged for a priest to go and baptize her at the hospital, prayed more and she survived...she is also doing quite amazing at 7...definitely God stepping in. She is a walking talking miracle.
35 years old - got pregnant with my second child, sister got pregnant with her second child, I was told to terminate the pregnancy because I would most definitely die if I proceeded...the same day a medical study came out about the condidtion I have and it actually was good news for me so I went through with the pregnancy...also thought my sister being pregnant at the same time was a sign (I mean we conceived the same week!) that it was going to be good for both of us this time.
36 years old - gave birth to my second son, went into heart failure again, although all research indicated that if you relapse with a subsequent pregnancy your heart will continue to weaken and you will either die or require transplant, I actually recovered again...how could this be anything other than God working a miracle?
41 years old - I'm still here and I think I'm proof that God has a plan for us all.

These are just the highlights there have been other struggles but I'm a survivor and that is definitely a gift from God. So you tell me where you think God was all my life.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Survivor

Wow! Irishmom, you ARE a survivor! You seem to have also been able to come through it without getting tough or bitter which might have been understandable.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Wow! Irishmom, you ARE a survivor! You seem to have also been able to come through it without getting tough or bitter which might have been understandable.
Well I definitely didn't understand why life was so hard, especially early on, but I always knew that God had a plan and that eventually life would be good if I just got through it. I can remember thinking that as early as 8 or 9 years old. I don't remember anyone ever telling me that I just knew it. I can't explain it but there isn't a thing I would change if it meant changing who I am today. I like me, and I love my life as it is now so I think His plan was good, even if it meant going through some bad stuff to get here.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well I definitely didn't understand why life was so hard, especially early on, but I always knew that God had a plan and that eventually life would be good if I just got through it. I can remember thinking that as early as 8 or 9 years old. I don't remember anyone ever telling me that I just knew it. I can't explain it but there isn't a thing I would change if it meant changing who I am today. I like me, and I love my life as it is now so I think His plan was good, even if it meant going through some bad stuff to get here.
Well, again, I think you have a good attitude and some good wisdom there.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:50 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,589 times
Irishmom - I salute you. Although I've had a few struggles here and there, they are minor compared to yours. I wish I had your strength. I'm afraid I would have given up and lost all hope of salvation. You are such a tremendous example for me and thank you for telling your story. I think it might make me stronger to know how much a person can endure and overcome.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:57 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
Well, I was gonna post, but instead Irishmom, I agree with robin hood, mine are minor compared to what you went thru. Thank you for telling your story also. You are def a survivor!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Tough act to follow, but do it anyway!

Yeah, I was concerned that people would feel that Irishmom was a "tough act to follow" .

But, really, we've ALL pretty much had our struggles and I would like for you to post your stories, big or small, and also as I said in the OP, any wisdom you have gleaned from the experiences. Someone said on another thread that God uses our trials to strengthen us. I think that is true. I would like to hear your thinking on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality