Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 10:05 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
The fact that the extorted funds are used to benefit someone else, or society at large, does not justify the means by which the funds are acquired: under threat of force.
That "someone else" is you.

You were not born alone in the desert. The society you live is an intricate web of many interdependent parts, that took centuries to build.

Ponder why every developed country has high wealth and income distribution including wage supports... more than the US. It isn't an accident that this is so. It is necessary if you want a prosperous society, else all the wealth ends up in a few hands. This is unfortunate because it is messy, but it is much better than the alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 10:12 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Since Reagan the top echelon has prospered.
Before Reagan, everybody suffered.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
So, all taxes to pay for essential government functions like police, fire, and military are extortion and we shouldn't have any government.

Gotcha.....
Do you understand the concept of means and ends? Or do you simply believe that the ends justify any means?

To answer your question: we should have only the minimum amount of government necessary to protect American citizens from external threats.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
That "someone else" is you.
I don't take welfare. I don't have kids enrolled in the public school system. I don't even have a paid fire department that serves the area where I live. But I pay taxes for all of those things, and many more.

Quote:
Ponder why every developed country has high wealth and income distribution including wage supports... more than the US.
"But mom, everybody stays out late, why can't I?"

The fact that wealth redistribution happens is NOT the reason why any particular country is prosperous. Any prosperous country is prosperous in spite of wealth redistribution, not because of it.

If you have any argument for growing the entire pie, rather than taking from some in order to give to others, I'd like to hear it.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The trick is to increase the taxes the wealthy pay without prompting them to move or decide to work less and reduce their income.
It doesn't prompt the rich to "work less" at all.

One thing most people don't understand is that the high marginal tax rates we had from the GD til Reagan, encouraged the wealthy to invest. How can that be?! It's simple. If you extract income it gets taxed at a high rate. If you earn capital gains the rate is much lower. So earnings were promptly cycled bake into the economy. That's the reason why this period resulted in the the best economic performance in US history by far.

We've spent the last 35 years encouraging businesses to extract capital and invest overseas. A few have gotten incredibly wealthy from this, and it appears they own our government. Good luck getting these policies changed.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I don't take welfare. I don't have kids enrolled in the public school system. I don't even have a paid fire department that serves the area where I live. But I pay taxes for all of those things, and many more.
You benefit hugely from living in this society.

Quote:
The fact that wealth redistribution happens is NOT the reason why any particular country is prosperous. Any prosperous country is prosperous in spite of wealth redistribution, not because of it.
You think it's an accident that all wealthy countries have high taxes, high public benefits and wage boosting (usually via unions)? The facts are irrefutable. You just haven't looked at them.

Quote:
If you have any argument for growing the entire pie, rather than taking from some in order to give to others, I'd like to hear it.
The pie grows fastest the more it is shared. Every seller needs a buyer.

Capitalism alone *naturally* concentrates all the wealth and power into a few hands. If the masses are too poor to buy, you won't get far with production. That's why it was predicted that capitalism would fail shortly after the industrial revolution began, and communism would supplant it. But the capitalists were smart enough to realize they needed a wealthy consumer base in order for capitalism to work, and public benefits and labor unions were allowed to grow, resulted in a wealthy middle class.

This is the model that every developed country uses. Look at the stats and you'll see that nearly all of them have higher wealth redistribution than the US and have been exceeding the US economically in recent decades. Such societies are a complex mess with a lot of inefficiencies just like the US, but it is the only system that works.

Our most prosperous period was from the 30s-70s when we had high union involvement, high marginal taxes, and rapidly increasing public benefits. Real wages more than tripled in 40 years !!! Since then our policies have been co-opted by globalists who are getting massively wealthy, but no one else. And you are worried about taxes! Your attention is about 180 degrees from where it ought to be.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:04 PM

774 posts, read 745,748 times
The land of self-entitlement. He has it so I should too.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
If you extract income it gets taxed at a high rate. If you earn capital gains the rate is much lower.
And what investments can be purchased with pre-tax dollars, other than a traditional IRA?

Old 05-10-2015, 02:03 AM

Quote:
You benefit hugely from living in this society.
The fact that I pay for more than I consume tells me that I'm not the one deriving maximum benefit from this arrangement.

Quote:
You think it's an accident that all wealthy countries have high taxes, high public benefits and wage boosting (usually via unions)? The facts are irrefutable. You just haven't looked at them.
Yeah sure, I'll just take your word for it.

You seem to think that a high quantity of money "kept moving" equates to being a wealthy nation. I, OTOH, think that a wealthy nation is one where per-capita assets are high. It's hard to accumulate assets when a high percentage of one's income is taken in the form of taxes.

Quote:
The pie grows fastest the more it is shared.
The pie grows when value is created. More economic activity equals growth. Redistribution is merely taking from one to give to another, no value is created in that transaction. However, some value is lost, because the one who receives cannot receive the full value of what was taken, as there are costs associated with the process of redistribution.

Quote:
Every seller needs a buyer.
Every would-be buyer needs at least one seller.

Quote:
Capitalism alone *naturally* concentrates all the wealth and power into a few hands. If the masses are too poor to buy, you won't get far with production.
You falsely assume that capitalism does not benefit the general public.

Quote:
That's why it was predicted that capitalism would fail shortly after the industrial revolution began, and communism would supplant it.
As usual, the commies were wrong.

Quote:
But the capitalists were smart enough to realize they needed a wealthy consumer base in order for capitalism to work
But, but, those evil 1% capitalist pigs want ALL the wealth for themselves. Stick to the script.

Quote:
Real wages more than tripled in 40 years !!!
Which benefits the working man & his family little if a large percentage of his wages are being taken from him in the form of union dues and taxes.

Quote:
Since then our policies have been co-opted by globalists who are getting massively wealthy, but no one else.
Again, you hold the false assumption that capitalism does not benefit the general public.

Quote:
And you are worried about taxes!
Taxes impede upward mobility.

Quote:
Your attention is about 180 degrees from where it ought to be.
No, it is on my own upward mobility, exactly where it should be.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:33 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Coming from a poor background, struggling through the middle class and now high income. Here is what I understand... I didn't bust my ass to pay for those who won't put in effort, who whine but won't do anything change their circumstances. I believe we need to pay taxes but this is ridiculous.
You're being delusional. Taxes in the US have recently been at their lowest levels since the 1950s. The US as a whole diverts a smaller portion of its GDP through the public sector than virtually any other prosperous economy in the world. You may be foundering personally or professionally, but it isn't the fault of high taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics