Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:30 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
It just kills me every time I see folks posting that big companies like GE, Boeing, etc pay "zero" in taxes. Not to be rude, but clearly the folks that claim this are what I call "headline readers". I actually researched this very topic not too long ago and have debunked these stupid claims.

I could go into a dissertation to explain what I learned about business finance, deferred taxes, and stuff like that but it would take entirely too long and I just don't have the time or wherewithal to do so. Why don't you Google "does Boeing pay taxes" and read reputable reports on the topic. Warning: it's a LOT of reading to get to the actual facts of the matter. This class is your homework for the day.

You're welcome.
Well that's what happens when a politician tells you that they are going to "tax the rich". It ends up hitting every day people and the uber rich skirt around it.

You'd think someone would say, if it was truly going to increase taxes on "the rich" big companies have enough power to stop it. And look at the former owner Costco Jim Sinegal who supported raising taxes on "the rich" and who spoke at the Democratic National Convention in the 2012 elections, then he skirted right around Obama's tax increase. Ask who is benefiting from Obama stopping the Keystone pipeline and who makes big money on transporting by rail cars? Warren Buffett of course.

Smack... people are so naive to believe politicians. Are people so easy to buy into a catch phrase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 06:46 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,312,397 times
Why would I want to punish the 1%? I'm too busy trying to join them to worry about what anyone else is doing. Some of you people really need to get over your petty jealousies of others and start dedicating that energy towards what YOU'RE doing to improve YOUR OWN lot in life.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:55 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
No one wants to "punish" the 1%. Only the paranoid 1% (or the aspirational 5%) think that.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No one wants to "punish" the 1%. Only the paranoid 1% (or the aspirational 5%) think that.
For years Obama, Obama supporters and liberals ranted on about raising taxing on the 1% and now you don't want to admit it.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:58 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
It just kills me every time I see folks posting that big companies like GE, Boeing, etc pay "zero" in taxes. Not to be rude, but clearly the folks that claim this are what I call "headline readers". I actually researched this very topic not too long ago and have debunked these stupid claims.

I could go into a dissertation to explain what I learned about business finance, deferred taxes, and stuff like that but it would take entirely too long and I just don't have the time or wherewithal to do so. Why don't you Google "does Boeing pay taxes" and read reputable reports on the topic. Warning: it's a LOT of reading to get to the actual facts of the matter. This class is your homework for the day.

You're welcome.
Thanks......I worked as an economist for the Federal government for fifteen years.

Trust me. Would you believe a journalist that never took an economics class?? You really need an education to use the internet. Lots of fluff.

Yes, I was told in my economics classes that businesses do not pay taxes, but merely transfer them. I believe this is the point when most people checked out and fell asleep.

But right after that.....the professor went into a very long lecture on why BUSINESS should pay taxes. It has nothing to do with politics, but basic economics.

I am glad about all the "stuff" you have learned. Go take a few economic classes and you just might change your mind.

The "economics" published in the mainstream media these days is full of political positions and very light on non-biased economic analysis on both sides of the aisle. Read carefully. The truth is out there, but unfortunately most media stories as designed to convince YOU, not present a fair and balanced economic analysis.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Why would I want to punish the 1%? I'm too busy trying to join them to worry about what anyone else is doing. Some of you people really need to get over your petty jealousies of others and start dedicating that energy towards what YOU'RE doing to improve YOUR OWN lot in life.
The difference is, people like me and you don't expect others to pay for our mistakes, we learn from them and keep trying. Others refuse to admit to their mistakes, blame others and never learn or move up then attack people who are 1%ers.

Funny, they don't know the difference between Obama's 1% and real wealth.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:07 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
For years Obama, Obama supporters and liberals ranted on about raising taxing on the 1% and now you don't want to admit it.
The word "punish" means to respond to an action by another with an action that intentionally is chosen to be something the first actor is averse to. Typically it is used for either deterrence or retribution, but tax is not meant for either goal. Yes, as a side effect of taxation, we may make them "pay the price" of having that income (retribution) or may reduce the incentive to earn more money (deterrence) but that is not the PURPOSE of the taxes and one still has a higher after-tax income with a higher before-tax income than with a lower before-tax income, so it is really hardly a deterrent at all.

"Punishment" is really simply not a good word choice for this.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The word "punish" means to respond to an action by another with an action that intentionally is chosen to be something the first actor is averse to. Typically it is used for either deterrence or retribution, but tax is not meant for either goal. Yes, as a side effect of taxation, we may make them "pay the price" of having that income (retribution) or may reduce the incentive to earn more money (deterrence) but that is not the PURPOSE of the taxes and one still has a higher after-tax income with a higher before-tax income than with a lower before-tax income, so it is really hardly a deterrent at all.

"Punishment" is really simply not a good word choice for this.
Raising my taxes because I am successful in business and therefor make good money is punishment. I don't care how you want to define it.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Thanks......I worked as an economist for the Federal government for fifteen years.

Trust me. Would you believe a journalist that never took an economics class?? You really need an education to use the internet. Lots of fluff.

Yes, I was told in my economics classes that businesses do not pay taxes, but merely transfer them. I believe this is the point when most people checked out and fell asleep.

But right after that.....the professor went into a very long lecture on why BUSINESS should pay taxes. It has nothing to do with politics, but basic economics.

I am glad about all the "stuff" you have learned. Go take a few economic classes and you just might change your mind.

The "economics" published in the mainstream media these days is full of political positions and very light on non-biased economic analysis on both sides of the aisle. Read carefully. The truth is out there, but unfortunately most media stories as designed to convince YOU, not present a fair and balanced economic analysis.
yep...Businesses are unpaid tax collector... they collect sales tax, payroll taxes (even matching and paying taxes), state and local taxes are also collected from employees before the employee even gets their paycheck. All this is calculated, recorded, reported and paid at the expense of the employer.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:15 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Raising my taxes because I am successful in business and therefor make good money is punishment. I don't care how you want to define it.
All you are doing is using a word beyond its normal range of meaning, and this demonstrates nothing. I could say grass is frustrated by stretching the meaning of "frustrated", but this would show nothing other than my desire to be silly (or maybe poetic...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics