Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:33 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When libs and dems stop wanting to tax the bejesus out of everyday hard working people who have succeeded and trying to build wealth to take care of their own family. When you force people to give something they worked hard for to support people who've made bad decisions but blame everyone else what do you expect? When you blame you don't learn from your mistakes.

Why should I or anyone else who busts their butts be forced to support people with the "you owe me" attitude?

Have a listen to this one. In her mind, the tax payer owes her because she has 15 kids. Look at the kids in the background, what do you think she is teaching those kids?

Some people ARE JUST MESSED UP but that is no reason to forget that there is more than one issue at play and different people are in different situations.

I don't necessarily think I should have to pay so much in taxes either but I deal with it, because I realize that there is no perfect system and one always needs to keep different circumstances in mind and choose the lesser of the evils when eliminating all the evils completely is impossible..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 08:40 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea, at 54 I get to pay for maternity care and dental care for children but don't have dental care myself. I'm self pay. I now pay almost 35% higher insurance premiums and get less coverage. And OP's girlfriend has to work crazy hours and can't get full time.

But yea, that's human decency, making others work to pay for those who won't.

Sorry ripcity, I'm all sypathied out. I'm tired of supporting people who can't make their lips form the word "no".
I'm a little younger than you but in the same boat. No dental either. I work multiple part time jobs which I'm fine with. I'm not trying to amass wealth, I just want to live, and paying out the nose for worse insurance so others can live off my dime was really not in my plan.

OP, whoever designed that schedule is an idiot. Maybe your gf and a few others in her department can get together and work up something more reasonable and present it to management, providing it doesn't go over the weekly allowed hours. I've done scheduling in the past. It's not really rocket science but some people just don't get it.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:52 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Some people ARE JUST MESSED UP but that is no reason to forget that there is more than one issue at play and different people are in different situations.

I don't necessarily think I should have to pay so much in taxes either but I deal with it, because I realize that there is no perfect system and one always needs to keep different circumstances in mind and choose the lesser of the evils when eliminating all the evils completely is impossible..
The welfare state is not working and is a drag on those who are trying but your answer is lets just keep supporting these kinds of people who by the way are out there screaming that you to pay more while they don't pay and are out there producing more kids for the taxpayer to support.

Do you think if people would work, even if it's welfare work they may be a little too tired to make so many kids.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I agree 100%. My employer based health and dental insurance premiums have DOUBLED over the last two years, and the copays and deductibles have gone way up too, so I'm paying a lot more and getting much less. And they wonder why the economy is sputtering and consumers aren't spending!
As a business owner, I am going to say that over the last 2 years employer health care coverage has gone DOWN in cost not up. Many business have reported level premiums this last renewal to reductions in cost. I know this conflict with the popular belief but group plans have seen decreases not increases.

So, why did you get an increase? Because it was expected and we didn't see a reason to disappoint anyone especially since it worked to our advantage. We have the ability to do whatever we wanted and blame it on the ACA. "Obamacare" was a golden scapegoat handed to us on a golden diamond encrusted platter.

What many businesses were able to pull off was to have their benefits broker find a plan that had much lower premium payments. Naturally these plans came with higher deductibles and increased co-pays. We could also shift the percentage of payment; instead of covering 85% of the premium and the employee covering 15%, we could shift the payment to 55% ours and 45% on the employee. Since just about everyone was running around screaming calamity, rising cost was assumed to be real. Yes, the employee's cost rose and the coverage decreased, but the money companies were now pocketed from this slight of hand trick was record breaking. We could easily maintain the same coverage and same cost sharing formula, but why if we could pay less, give the employees less, pocket the balance and blame it all on "Obamacare"?

However in my case, I provide my employees an annual COBRA Continued Coverage notice that clearly states how much that coverage they are getting cost. This is the actual cost so there is no way I could ever attempt to fool my employees. But since the vast majority of employees are really rather dumb, business owners and corporate leadership have been able to fool their employees and those employees believed it because of "Obamacare". Like I said, it was a ready made opportunity to screw employees knowing that most employee were just too stupid to figure out the truth.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
As a business owner, I am going to say that over the last 2 years employer health care coverage has gone DOWN in cost not up. Many business have reported level premiums this last renewal to reductions in cost. I know this conflict with the popular belief but group plans have seen decreases not increases.

So, why did you get an increase? Because it was expected and we didn't see a reason to disappoint anyone especially since it worked to our advantage. We have the ability to do whatever we wanted and blame it on the ACA. "Obamacare" was a golden scapegoat handed to us on a golden diamond encrusted platter.
You must be a bigger business because my costs went up. So much for leveling the playing field, I'm the little guy.

Quote:
Naturally these plans came with higher deductibles and increased co-pays. We could also shift the percentage of payment; instead of covering 85% of the premium and the employee covering 15%, we could shift the payment to 55% ours and 45% on the employee. Since just about everyone was running around screaming calamity, rising cost was assumed to be real. Yes, the employee's cost rose and the coverage decreased, but the money companies were now pocketed from this slight of hand trick was record breaking.
My deductible doubled from $2500 to $5000. Think about it, if people can't afford the monthly premiums then how do they afford higher deductibles? Plan and save for it? LOL

Old 05-08-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:

it was a ready made opportunity to screw employees knowing that most employee were just too stupid to figure out the truth.
That's what Gruber, one of the architects of Obamacare said.

"that if Democrats had been honest about Obamacare, that the law’s individual mandate is in effect a major tax hike, Obamacare would never have passed Congress. Basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical for the thing to pass".
--- Gruber said

the-stupidity-of-the-american-voter-led-us-to-hide-obamacares-tax-hikes-from-the-public/

Looks like the government and big business won and the people lost. Funny how some people supported being screwed.

Last edited by petch751; 05-08-2015 at 09:30 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 09:26 PM

If the government is railing to raise taxes on someone else don't be smug because they've got you in their bullseye too, they're just being more sneaky about it.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:33 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Sleep from 8:30am to 3:30pm every day.
That would be the logical solution, but it wouldn't satisfy the OP's desire to ***** & complain about his gf's employer. The thread title smacked of anti-business sentiment.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:36 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
And I'm paying for private insurance, like I have been since 2009. There goes the group plan/business owner theory you talked about rabrrita.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 8,242 times
There seems to be a lot of anger in a lot of the responses to my post typically ranging from "well she could get a better job, to "it is because of healthcare reform." My post was really not to get people upset here. My gf's current retail job is just something temporary to hold her over until she finds something better again. I more or less wanted to show people what is considered acceptable in the world of minimum wage now. Let me put it this way. As I said me and my GF are both college educated, so getting a better job will be "easier" than many of her co-workers who are in their 20s-50s with no college. Most of her co-workers have been there for years. So they are "stuck". Label them however you like, but she tells me how the recent trend of cutting hours throughout the retail sect has caused a lot of them to take on massive amounts of credit card debt to cover the basic costs of living.

Both me and my GF are used to working 9-5 jobs. When she started this temporary job and learned how the majority of these employees have to deal with their hours being cut on a weekly basis, being thrown into overnight shifts whenever the manager deems appropriate, and getting yearly raises of .20 cents, she told me in some ways her job that she was paid 5 times amount prior was in some ways easier.

As I said, I thought I'd share this to maybe get someone to appreciate their job they have now and maybe not think the person making minimum wage stocking the shelves is a loser, but maybe someone who was stuck working two overnights in a row to make ends meet. Have a good night guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics