Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:51 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times

Advertisements

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ive-s...ark-weinberger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Walt Kelly is dead.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:54 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Great article. We need immigration. We need the TPP. But he didn't mention one thing. We need to cultivate a sense of competition and pride in American young people. We need to enable them to compete in the global economy

Old 04-30-2015, 11:33 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
There is a sense of entitlement among some workers. There is also a sense of entitlement to high pay among management, all the way up to the CEO.

I work on the ground level and see first hand what is heading for America like a tidal wave... They are the "numbers are hard" generation. They have been neglected. A failed educational system coupled by a crappy job market and lack of opportunities for training... If they don't make the cut, jobs will simply go elsewhere. Our government has practically installed an express lane for which companies can use to export livelihoods.

This is the worst time to have grown up with the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. The world is more competitive than ever.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:38 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,434,948 times
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government.

It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. [Source Unknown]

Old 05-01-2015, 04:44 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,434,948 times
Quote:

The world is more competitive than ever.
The baby boomers faced a world where every legitimate rival was flattened from World War Two. In case you were wondering, they were the abundance, selfish, and complacent part of the civilization collapse.

The United States is only able to continue on its current path because of the Dollar maintaining a stranglehold on world finance and the threat of military force. When that slips away as the IMF considers adding the Yuan and possibly introducing SDR's....look out below. The federal reserve and U.s government have abused the system and drove even our closest allies to consider how this is all going to end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWK6flskG6o

Old 05-01-2015, 05:06 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
America's biggest problem is the 0.01% of billionaires and corporations that are only there to make the megarich richer and the poor poorer. THey also badmouth government programs but generally rely on them for handout and use social programs for the working poor that they employ.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:09 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Great article. We need immigration. We need the TPP. But he didn't mention one thing. We need to cultivate a sense of competition and pride in American young people. We need to enable them to compete in the global economy
The problem is that the number of jobs is limited and too many immigrants leads to increased unemployment.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:09 PM

816 posts, read 968,680 times
I am an immigrant. And I am fortunate for being able to live and work in the US.
As an outsider, and coming from the developing world. I see two problems :

1. Broken K-12 education system
2. SUPER expensive higher education system which is one of the best in the world.

Essentially only the rich can afford to give their kids a world class education.

As for taking "your jobs"... I don't know about that. I think I work hard and am well suited for what I do. I was indeed given an opportunity to study in this country, but beyond that I competed for grades and the job. My being an immigrant had little to do with my grades and getting the job and keeping it.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:25 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
Essentially only the rich can afford to give their kids a world class education.
Essentially, only the rich can afford ANYTHING anymore. They have all the money. It's all now the world accoridng to Romney, Walker, and the rest of the Klan of the Koch Brothers. The broad-based propserity that was built up between 1945 and 1980 has been consciously and deliberately taken down and replaced by a closed and very narrow prosperity. Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear -- The Robber Barons Ride Again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics