Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:19 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,355 times

Advertisements

It has everything to do with it, but I'm not surprised by your need to ask over it. The status of the US in international trade and finance is DIRECTLY related to the size of our economy and to our long history of deep involvement as a global player. As I have had to point out repeatedly here, globalization has been around for centuries. Our status meanwhile has nothing whatsoever to do with imaginary meddling oligarchs or other supposed satanic string-pullers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 09:13 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
As I have had to point out repeatedly here, globalization has been around for centuries.
So much for your hand waving. Currently global trade is ~7x greater than it was in 1960 and climbing.

And in the US it's gone up by a factor of >12:

Since you keep not answering the question, I'll ask again. What has "important dollars" done for us?

Last edited by rruff; 06-24-2015 at 09:24 AM..

Old 06-24-2015, 11:41 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Biggest threat to American economy is Americans!!

Old 06-24-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
So much for your hand waving. Currently global trade is ~7x greater than it was in 1960 and climbing. And in the US it's gone up by a factor of >12:
Exactly what do you think you are contradicting? Globalization is a centuries-old given in economics. Go around denouncing Marco Polo if you'd like, but the facts of the matter here are not going to change.

Quote:
Since you keep not answering the question, I'll ask again. What has "important dollars" done for us?
You would prefer that US dollars were insignificant, I suppose? We are an important economic power in the world PRECISELY because of the size of our economy and the degree to which we have and still do participate in international trade. Pick up a book. Take a course. None of this is being kept a secret.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Exactly what do you think you are contradicting? Globalization is a centuries-old given in economics. Go around denouncing Marco Polo if you'd like, but the facts of the matter here are not going to change.
Whats new is that there is 7x more of it going on than 50 years ago. Scale and relevance. You understand these things when they suit your argument.

Quote:
You would prefer that US dollars were insignificant, I suppose? We are an important economic power in the world PRECISELY because of the size of our economy and the degree to which we have and still do participate in international trade.
Why do you suppose that? You are the one who is stating that the "importance of the US$" is a good thing. So once again, what has it done for us? It hasn't made us richer, that's for damn sure. Did we get some other benefit?

Old 06-24-2015, 06:21 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:

Why do you suppose that? You are the one who is stating that the "importance of the US$" is a good thing. So once again, what has it done for us? It hasn't made us richer, that's for damn sure. Did we get some other benefit?
For instance everything that China sends us, paid for with USD fiat is essentially found wealth.

China send us stuff we want and what they want to sell.

We get what we want in real goods without having to use our resources and spoil our own environment while doing so. They get our fiat, which we essentially conjured out of thin air.

And at a savings, for gosh sakes!

Even Henry Hazlitt knows the advantages of imports:

Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest and Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics: Henry Hazlitt: 9780517548233: Amazon.com: Books

Old 06-24-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Whats new is that there is 7x more of it going on than 50 years ago. Scale and relevance. You understand these things when they suit your argument.
I understand ALL the time. I also understand utter irrelevancy as you seemingly do not.

Quote:
Why do you suppose that? You are the one who is stating that the "importance of the US$" is a good thing.
I stated its sources.

Last edited by Major Barbara; 06-24-2015 at 07:22 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
We get what we want in real goods without having to use our resources and spoil our own environment while doing so. They get our fiat, which we essentially conjured out of thin air.
They can't do anything internally with dollars. Exporters off-load them to the central bank for Renminbi. The People's Bank then has the options outlined earlier. They can use dollars to finance imports from the US, to finance imports from third countries willing accept dollars in payment, or to finance the purchase of dollar-denominated assets.

And of course, all currencies today are fiat currencies conjured out of thin air.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:48 PM

386 posts, read 327,363 times
The dollar lost it's value when Woodrow Wilson allowed the Federal Reserve to charge the USA to print our money. The Federal Reserve is not a USA government agency but zionists that run our whole banking and political system. The Federal Reserve dictates our interest rates also. No reason to save money in a CD when the rates are .10%. We spend 2/3 of federal income tax to support our military who fights wars for the zionist bankers. Remember Vietnam War? A total lie that Vietnam attacked the USA. A war for profit created by our government and backed by these zionist bankers AKA Federal Reserve. By the way 58,000 USA soldiers died for that lie to increase their profits.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
They get our fiat, which we essentially conjured out of thin air.
The same fiat, phoney, conjured out of thin air US$ that you been paid with your whole life. If they are worthless, then why do you accept them as payment, and why does everyone else?

Let me see... since we embarked on this great adventure with China, their economy has grown faster than any in world history, while ours has sucked... flat wages and huge debt escalation with nothing to show for it.

Do you think you might be missing something? If you are interested I'll give you a short lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics