Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:12 PM

29,832 posts, read 24,922,073 times

Advertisements

What purpose does America, and it's citizens, serve in the global economy today?

My theory is, we exist primarily to provide stability and support for global growth and development. We consume the world's goods and services, which creates a demand. This demand allows other countries to produce, export and grow. Without America, there would not be enough internal demand in these nations for this to happen. There would be no other trade partner on our scale to replace us. Basically, if we functioned like Japan, growth and development around the globe would be slow, or possibly stagnant.

Basically, it is an American's job to consume, get fat, and die. We, and our consumer dollars are the carrot on the stick. That's about it. Everything else exists to support that relationship, or is noise.

So what exactly does America do these days? Please tell me there is more, because I find my theory to be very depressing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 05:22 PM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Without (that) America, there would not be enough internal demand in these nations...
There would be no other trade partner on our scale to replace us.

Basically, if we functioned like Japan,
growth and development around the globe would be slow, or possibly stagnant.
Yes! Embrace the idea and the ultimate reality of such stasis. It's a GoodThing.
Growth and expansion merely for the sake of them is just wrong!

The US one did just fine as a net exporter and more than satisfied our own needs
and did it with half the population we have today. We can do that again!

The hard part is getting all the other countries to do similarly.
Especially so when we no longer import most consumer goods.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:42 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times
Quote:
I find my theory to be very depressing...
If you want to get really depressed: //www.city-data.com/forum/econo...verything.html

The US military is very important. The US won't "die", until the "robotic revolution" is mature. And then all the other countries will die as well.

The most depressing thing about what has happened to the US via globalization is how obvious it is that democracy is dead... if indeed it ever lived.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:44 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
America is still the second largest exporter or so in the world

Old 03-29-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
We happen to be a very large country. Of course we export more than, say, Germany. Of course, Germany enjoys relatively balanced trade.

We run trade deficits year after year. Without energy, it would be a disaster. Our big ticket items like planes and cars can be made much cheaper elsewhere. Folks just aren't ready to fly in a "made in China" plane... Yet.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It's the trade deficit that is killing us. And it's intentional.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Of course we export more than, say, Germany.
Only 5% more.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:13 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
America's purpose is to teach the world that a free market is better than a "command" market. I think we have done that. Long-term it will benefit future generations. In the short-term we suffer while waiting for other countries to catch up to us in terms of wages, consumer and worker protections, etc.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:16 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,410,581 times
Quote:
What purpose does America, and it's citizens, serve in the global economy today?

My theory is, we exist primarily to provide stability and support for global growth and development.
The U.S. hardly provides stability. We are now at 25 years of active military operations in the Middle East and things have only gotten worse.

The U.S. encouraged Ukrainians to demonize the Russians instead of recognizing that they have to come to some sort of compromise with them. The country is now in the middle of a war.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...-archduke-away

Old 03-29-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Only 5% more.
I found this off Exports of goods and services (current US$) | Data | Table

Export of goods and services in USD (2010 - 2014)

Germany: 1,699,676,550,262

United States: 2,262,200,000,000

The U.S. exports more. Germany has about a quarter of our population though. Do the math...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
The U.S. hardly provides stability. We are now at 25 years of active military operations in the Middle East and things have only gotten worse.

The U.S. encouraged Ukrainians to demonize the Russians instead of recognizing that they have to come to some sort of compromise with them. The country is now in the middle of a war.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...-archduke-away
Can't argue with that.

We have been exporting plenty of military weapons. I'm not sure that has been helping to stabilize the globe either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
America's purpose is to teach the world that a free market is better than a "command" market. I think we have done that. Long-term it will benefit future generations. In the short-term we suffer while waiting for other countries to catch up to us in terms of wages, consumer and worker protections, etc.
How have we been doing any of that? Historically, we have just gone around looking for nations, and people to take advantage of and plunder.

So many of our nation's trading partners in the past were simply exploited, and never enriched in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics