Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

When I put the puzzle pieces together I see the future USA becoming more and more like Latin Amerca as time goes on. Racial Demographic shifts, the shrinking middle class and increasingly corrupt and innefficent government seem to guarantee large US cities will look (and in some cases already do) more like Mexico City, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires in the future than some will be comfortable with.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:29 PM

No opinions? I don't mean this as a racial thing BTW, it just is what it is.

I was looking at Google Street View of Mexico and some parts of my own city (SLC, UT) already look like that...

Last edited by Chango; 01-08-2010 at 01:10 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 12:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I have just having similar thoughts this morning. A lot of California cities are ugly and remind me of what I've seen in the neighborhoods of Tijuana.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
There is also massive corporate influence which both share in spades, it hasn't been as bad here (it's not like we've privatized water) so I can see where you're coming from.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
I think you are right on target.

You can see the 2/3rds of whites in the USA who embrace an ideoloogy that says when we are in power, we make the rules.

They apply laws that they think benefit them and ignore laws when they don't.

Hence we get Americans locked in jail for five years without trial. We torture suspected terrorists. You can mislead Congress and get away scott free. You can ignore Congressional subpoena. You can break the law and the Attorney General just ignore it.

Just a few Months ago they passed an illegal writ of attainder seeking to punish ACORN without trial. Thankfully it was struck down by an appeals court but who knows when it gets to these right wing partisans on the Supreme Court?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
When I put the puzzle pieces together I see the future USA becoming more and more like Latin Amerca as time goes on. Racial Demographic shifts, the shrinking middle class and increasingly corrupt and innefficent government seem to guarantee large US cities will look (and in some cases already do) more like Mexico City, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires in the future than some will be comfortable with.

What do you think?
Boy, that is a very negative opinion you have of Latin America. Rio de Janeiro is considered one of the most cosmoplian cities in the world, btw!

Old 01-08-2010, 01:22 PM

146 posts, read 149,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Boy, that is a very negative opinion you have of Latin America. Rio de Janeiro is considered one of the most cosmoplian cities in the world, btw!
with an extremely high crime and murder rate

Old 01-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I pick those cities on purpose. All have beautiful downtowns and fairly large upper and middle class areas, but also extremely large and dangerous slums and huge rich vs poor gaps.

I suppose the Favelas of Rio are full of cosmopolitan joys too, if you can live long enough to enjoy them.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Chanco,

Your name sounds Spanish btw [but I won't say what it means ]. I think it would be great for the U.S. to be more like Latin America because racism is not a problem like it is in this country and people are more welcoming of others.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Chanco,

Your name sounds Spanish btw [but I won't say what it means ]. I think it would be great for the U.S. to be more like Latin America because racism is not a problem like it is in this country and people are more welcoming of others.
Chango and it basically means "Monkey Boy".

But you might want to actually live in Latin America before you make that assumption. There is plenty of racism going on and even worse class divisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies