Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 12:10 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times

Advertisements

I love these upbeat cheerful threads.
But, I have to say thanks to OP for asking the question that I think a lot of us want to know the answer to.
Truth is none of us really know or can know. We can speculate, guess, interpret, intuit, analyze....but we can't REALLY know until it's in the rearview mirror and we're banging our heads and saying "Doh!!!" like Homer Simpson. Just be smart with your money and have a rainy day fund set aside somewhere.
Now resume with the discussion please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 01:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
this is not 1929and the recent recession was not the same causes and no banks fell as in 1929. 500 banks were closed last count I have with zero depositors losing anything in this recession. I fact I would listen to FED minutes on television as they have best data available on the economy. Also remember the market does not make near the whole economy. We have been waiting to do just what they are named. a market correct has the last was almost ten years before this recession started. Corrections happen. Is the economy slow yes.is the market pretty much up and down; yes as they are not operating under fundamentals but on word on word from FED being on life support of low FED managed rates. Heck some market agents have never worked under non-FED managed rates even.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:10 PM

149 posts, read 181,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Heart View Post
I know next to nothing about the economy but lately I've been reading scare articles saying that a global collapse is coming. If the stock market collapses like it did in 1929 and banks start closing, are we literally going to be out in the street begging for food? No food trucks, no electricity, no gas, etc. Surely it can't get that bad?
Nobody knows what lies ahead. People seem to forget about disastrous foreign policy that only breeds terrorism and that these guys may one day lay their hands on chemical, biological or other mass destruction weapons and be able to use them.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:10 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times
Morning!

The architects of the societal structure of the planet we live on have had hammer and chisel aimed at creating a one-word government for decades now, with one currency, one religion, one legislature, and so on, and they're probably going to achieve that goal in the not-too-distant future.

For a while, the actuality of a NWO, One Word Order, or Global Cooperative, or any of the other names people like to call it, was delayed because the leadership of said government was not yet firmly established. Now that the former contenders all know who that will be, it shouldn't be long before it is a reality.

And the irony is that the people themselves have enabled and will further enable the actuality of a totalitarian global government.

JMHO. YMMV.

Mahrie.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:30 AM

149 posts, read 181,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Morning!

The architects of the societal structure of the planet we live on have had hammer and chisel aimed at creating a one-word government for decades now, with one currency, one religion, one legislature, and so on, and they're probably going to achieve that goal in the not-too-distant future.

For a while, the actuality of a NWO, One Word Order, or Global Cooperative, or any of the other names people like to call it, was delayed because the leadership of said government was not yet firmly established. Now that the former contenders all know who that will be, it shouldn't be long before it is a reality.

And the irony is that the people themselves have enabled and will further enable the actuality of a totalitarian global government.

JMHO. YMMV.

Mahrie.
Russia (with all the nukes) is gonna be a little bit of a problem for them

Old 09-13-2015, 08:48 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times
In spite of the gloom and doom many of us predict there are windows of safety , security and survival Firstly don't be rich or well healed as money will be a non entity and worthless, prepare for the impact ofdisaster(s), EMP's ( Sun flares) by storing up all sorts of food with a reasonable shelf life . Have a small grill and a wood ,coal supply ,waterfilters and a long list of items you can accumulate from Harbor Freight, Walmart, Dollar Tree , City data survival folks. Food market before its stripprd clean. You will have neighbor help , FEMA, RedCross,, Church ( working on a countrywide shelter system via most churches in US and synogoges ,mosques, rec centers.. So help will be there if veterans ,qualified armed civilians ex cops team up with National Guard to aid local law enforcement forming militias to keep order ( in the recent of martial law. Glenn Beck, Jim Bakker Show are the only survival networks that can give you survival info ,but many emergency food sources on internet. Just be careful as some are very expensive!! Bakkers avg. 40 -50 cents a meal up from 35 cents but others up to $2.00-4.00!!! Make sure you get samples as some taste horrible some delicious! We have 1000 meals at present.

Last edited by openmike; 09-13-2015 at 08:57 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 11:00 PM

105 posts, read 113,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
In spite of the gloom and doom many of us predict there are windows of safety , security and survival Firstly don't be rich or well healed as money will be a non entity and worthless, prepare for the impact ofdisaster(s), EMP's ( Sun flares) by storing up all sorts of food with a reasonable shelf life . Have a small grill and a wood ,coal supply ,waterfilters and a long list of items you can accumulate from Harbor Freight, Walmart, Dollar Tree , City data survival folks. Food market before its stripprd clean. You will have neighbor help , FEMA, RedCross,, Church ( working on a countrywide shelter system via most churches in US and synogoges ,mosques, rec centers.. So help will be there if veterans ,qualified armed civilians ex cops team up with National Guard to aid local law enforcement forming militias to keep order ( in the recent of martial law. Glenn Beck, Jim Bakker Show are the only survival networks that can give you survival info ,but many emergency food sources on internet. Just be careful as some are very expensive!! Bakkers avg. 40 -50 cents a meal up from 35 cents but others up to $2.00-4.00!!! Make sure you get samples as some taste horrible some delicious! We have 1000 meals at present.
Your optimism must make ladies love you.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Pont View Post
Your optimism must make ladies love you.
Ladies like to be protected, Mike. I'll take a realistic prepper over an ostrich any day -- that is, if I were not already married to my darlin'.

Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:11 AM

105 posts, read 113,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Ladies like to be protected, Mike. I'll take a realistic prepper over an ostrich any day -- that is, if I were not already married to my darlin'.

Shalom,

Mahrie.
You realize preppers have mental illnesses right?

Old 09-14-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Pont View Post
You realize preppers have mental illnesses right?

According to whom?

I take my instruction(s) in life from The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit, Who are certainly not 'mentally ill,' and being prepared for emergencies is simply common sense.

Since 1997, when I began 'prepping' in earnest for our family, our preps have seen us through several minor bumps in the road.

"A wise man sees trouble ahead and prepares for it, while the fool goes headlong into it and suffers." (Proverbs 22.)

Shalom,

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics