Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:31 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,565,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Why do you keep posting this link?

Robots are here, and they are here to stay. Society will adjust.
Hotel Staffed by Robots Opening in Japan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:24 PM

29,858 posts, read 24,982,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Are you trying to suggest that this will be the standard anytime soon?

Old 10-10-2015, 02:26 AM

34,289 posts, read 19,417,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Are you trying to suggest that this will be the standard anytime soon?
Hmmm...as the costs and capabilities mature, I would expect so. Expect 1 person to man the desks, and everything else-including housekeeping-to be done by robots. Timeframe? about 10 years. This is just the leading edge of whats coming.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:32 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,346,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Hmmm...as the costs and capabilities mature, I would expect so. Expect 1 person to man the desks, and everything else-including housekeeping-to be done by robots. Timeframe? about 10 years. This is just the leading edge of whats coming.
Since the dawn of the industrial revolution around 1800, there has been an endless drive to knock labor cost out of production. Skilled weavers were replaced by textile mills. Skilled gunsmiths were replaced by gun factories. Technology is relentless. It's totally dishonest to try to say that unskilled and semi-skilled workers should be paid proportional to productivity gains. It's never worked that way and it's not going to change. Those with the capital investing in equipment that reduces labor cost reap all the benefit. The rich get richer. The poor get poorer. The bottom and second quintile of the labor force get paid less today because there is an enormous glut of unskilled and semi-skilled labor. There is no need to pay more than near-minimum wage for that kind of work since there are 100 people lined up to take that job.

The societal problem is: What do we do with all those people who will never be worth much more than minimum wage? You can take the libertarian view and say it's their own damned fault because they didn't work hard enough or smart enough to be successful. They did it to themselves. Let them starve. You can take the social democratic view that most had no shot at ever being successful. They weren't born smart enough. They didn't have access to good school systems. Their parents and peer group didn't impart a drive for success or stress education. I think we should split the difference between those two positions but it's going to be an ongoing political argument with no solution to the fundamental problem.... that there is an oversupply of unskilled and semi-skilled labor in the United States. With automation and global competition, it's not worth paying them much. If you make the safety net too cushy, only illegals will be willing to do much of the low paid work.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:15 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,560,387 times
Clearly the answer is to import more unskilled illiterates from the 3rd world.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:06 PM

125 posts, read 167,800 times
Why have a middle class in the first place? They tend to cause a lot of trouble in the long run. A much more efficient system is to have the top 1% of the 1% controlling 99% of the financial resources, and then leave that remaining 1% for the plebs to tussle over. Much like our current path is headed toward.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Clearly the answer is to import more unskilled illiterates from the 3rd world.
When the native-born unskilled illiterates don't want to do "demeaning" unskilled labor for low wages and no benefits, then yeah. Somebody has to pick the lettuce.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:14 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,560,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
When the native-born unskilled illiterates don't want to do "demeaning" unskilled labor for low wages and no benefits, then yeah. Somebody has to pick the lettuce.
Ok, there are about 780K farm workers in the US, 40% of whom are foreign born. That's about 320K. How about the other 10's of millions of illiterate, unskilled immigrants being imported?

Old 10-11-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Ok, there are about 780K farm workers in the US, 40% of whom are foreign born. That's about 320K. How about the other 10's of millions of illiterate, unskilled immigrants being imported?
They're mowing my lawn, painting my house, rolling out fiberglass insulation in my attic, hanging sheet rock, shoveling the snow off my walkway.

50 years ago, you hired some teenage kid in the neighborhood to do most of those tasks. Good luck finding that today.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:50 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,611,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
They're mowing my lawn, painting my house, rolling out fiberglass insulation in my attic, hanging sheet rock, shoveling the snow off my walkway.

50 years ago, you hired some teenage kid in the neighborhood to do most of those tasks. Good luck finding that today.
Maybe for the lawn mowing and sidewalk shoveling, but the rest was done by decently paid (often union) workers where I lived. You can pay people a decent wage to work, or do it yourself. Or maybe it doesn't really need to get done.

What do you do for a living? Whatever it is, I think you are way overpaid. I can hire a guy from India who will do it for a lot less. How would you like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics