Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 03:45 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
But yeah, I'm part of that group. I haven't had a regular paycheck since 2009. There's some annoying things about that, mostly around access to credit. I tried to get a mortgage around 2012 and that just wasn't happening. I might have more luck with it now, or I'll just wait a couple years and pay cash for something cheaper.
Me too. I love it. I work in my pajamas. On the Internet, nobody knows you're in your pajamas. Once a month or so, I put a suit in a suitcase and fly off to visit a client. My income is in the top 3%. I can't get a mortgage but I don't need one. Not everybody who is self-employed or an independent contractor is struggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 04:52 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
don't be so sure no one can see you in your pajama's . .

maybe they can .

damn , i keep getting these penile enlargement e-mails all the time . i am like , holy heck , how do they know ? lol

i keep getting so many i am thinking of getting "it " it's own e-mail address ha ha

Old 01-08-2016, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I see a whole lot of lousy jobs out there.
i am not surprised ..

Old 01-08-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
It's actually 6%, no idea where Slate pulls its numbers out of. It's also, as of 2014, decreasing and not growing.

But yeah, I'm part of that group. I haven't had a regular paycheck since 2009. There's some annoying things about that, mostly around access to credit. I tried to get a mortgage around 2012 and that just wasn't happening. I might have more luck with it now, or I'll just wait a couple years and pay cash for something cheaper.
what is a paycheck ? is that the thing you get when you to to that place in the morning i see all these people scurrying to ?

Old 01-09-2016, 02:24 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
don't be so sure no one can see you in your pajama's . .

maybe they can .

damn , i keep getting these penile enlargement e-mails all the time . i am like , holy heck , how do they know ? lol

i keep getting so many i am thinking of getting "it " it's own e-mail address ha ha
funny

Old 01-09-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
It's actually 6%, no idea where Slate pulls its numbers out of. It's also, as of 2014, decreasing and not growing.

we are being told the same thing by the banks as far as getting a mortgage so if we buy a co-op we will pay cash ..

the company's that buy mortgages from banks have very strict income requirements .

you can have multiple 7 figures in your portfolio but many of these buyers do not accept income that is under your control as qualifying .

we are retired and because i am delaying social security and don't show enough pension income , the banks said that odds are not good the under writers will approve us .

the company's the banks sell to would have to make what they call asset depreciation loans .

that is where they take your assets , cut off 40% of them for volatility and then divide what is left by the number of loan payments as income .

the underwriters want to see social security income , pension , annuity , etc. . they don't want to see income you create on your own .

Old 01-09-2016, 06:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Yep. Somewhere between 6.6% and 6.8% of tax filers are self-employed. The lower the unemployment rate, the lower the percentage.

U6 is about 10%. It's tough to have truly accurate numbers because so many people work "off the books". I'd wager that if you factor those in, the real number is much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics