Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 09:56 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The problem was so many students chose unmarketable majors. An English Literature or Art History degree isn't going to get you very far outside of academia. Students who chose degree paths in tangible, marketable fields (like computer science, accounting, engineering, etc) aren't having issues finding employment.

I really think this is something that has to be fixed but I am unsure how to do it.
I'll repost the same link:

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/...t13_318.30.asp

Total bachelor's degrees awarded in 2012: 1.8 million.

Art History: 3,600 degrees conferred in 2012. About 1/4 of 1 percent of all degrees conferred.
English Literature: 43,000 degrees conferred in 2012. About 2.5% of all degrees conferred.

We can add about 4500 more if we add "art teacher education" and "english/language arts teacher education" to those totals.

So are you trying to say that approximately 3% of degrees awarded are responsible for whatever economic problems you think you perceive?

I think the problem is too many degrees, period. 50K out of 1.8 million are not causing the problem, the 1.8 million are.

The "tangible, marketable" fields you mention are already saturated and don't need any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 03:29 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I think the problem is too many degrees, period. 50K out of 1.8 million are not causing the problem, the 1.8 million are.

The "tangible, marketable" fields you mention are already saturated and don't need any more.

Good luck telling parents that their snowflakes can't have the "American Dream".

Old 01-25-2016, 05:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Good luck telling parents that their snowflakes can't have the "American Dream".
If that snowflake isn't top-5% in aptitude with a good work ethic, odds are low that they'll economically out-perform their parents.

The student loan debt problem is a fallout of the whole "everybody has to go to college" mantra. If you're top-5% and you apply yourself, you'll have no problem paying back whatever education debt you pile up. If you're barely in the top-30%, you either need affluent parents picking up the tab or you need to do a careful cost-benefit analysis of every penny you spend on education.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/thousa...133720706.html

"Americans are flooding the government with appeals to have their student loans forgiven on the grounds that schools deceived them with false promises of a well-paying career—part of a growing protest against years of surging college costs."
I am glad some students are doing this. The whole thing is one giant scam set up by the government and banks. The government allowed this mess to happen and colleges ramped up tuition to the point it has become a total ripoff, unless you are in only a couple of fields. If you live in the state of PA the cost of college is $100,000 for a 4 year degree! Yep, Penn State and Pitt are that much. Go private, pay even more. What a scam!

Old 01-25-2016, 08:05 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times
Ok, this might be naive for me to say but I don't understand why people make such a big deal about student loan. Why is student loan any different than mortgage? People happily take on 200K+ loan for their house yet investing a fraction of that money in their education is outrage? What is the difference?

I understand it makes your life harder to have another loan (and will make it difficult to make mortgage payment on top of loan) but that's life, why should it be easy. Having a mortgage makes people life harder by preventing them from spending money on other area in their life, like traveling & going back to school for higher education.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:26 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,634 times
Maybe there is something to free college...

How much are we going to spend on IBR? Half of which was school other other half was for rent, beer, and food?

So if we scrap govt student loans and pell grants, we trim a whole lot of the private schools.

We would also have students trying to get private loans for room and board, this would make school to expensive for some as they might not qualify for private loans, or the interest rate might be too high (no assets, no career).

Just like the health industry, the govt wouldn't pay prevailing rates, they'd pay what they want, and so schools would have to lower prices for their instate students, they aren't going to cut salaries (unions!), so they'll increase their out of state/country attendance and price (this will decrease in state attendance).

Sounds like a plan to me.
Lower forgiven amounts to fewer students and those students are likely going to be the ones who would have done fine already. Everyone else will have to figure out how to scrap together enough capital to go out of state w/o federal loans and few private loans.

Or you know, people could suck it up, live like a college student, and study a useful field (come on, if we can stack 18-22 year old warfighters three deep wall to wall with a tiny common space, and feed them warm bland goof in bulk, we can do the same for the 18-22 year old college student.

One can get a UC education on pell grants if they take their first two years at a California community college, so I just don't buy the crippling debt line (especially since the median college debt is less than the median price of new cars purchased in America).

Old 01-25-2016, 08:28 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Ok, this might be naive for me to say but I don't understand why people make such a big deal about student loan. Why is student loan any different than mortgage? People happily take on 200K+ loan for their house yet investing a fraction of that money in their education is outrage? What is the difference?

I understand it makes your life harder to have another loan (and will make it difficult to make mortgage payment on top of loan) but that's life, why should it be easy. Having a mortgage makes people life harder by preventing them from spending money on other area in their life, like traveling & going back to school for higher education.
Because if you cant pay a mortgage the bank comes and takes the house back, and you get a black mark on your credit for several years and thats the end. Default on that student loan, and they can add 50% to the balance per default, garnish your tax returns, wages, social security, and suspend your professional license which gets you a job in the first place. Many people have taken out 50k loans only to find themselves over 200k in debt after extended unemployment leads to a string of defaults. Because the government backs all these loans, you've got private companies like sallie mae coming in willy nilly offering loans and preying on poor kids and hoping for a default. When the student defaults they are automatically repaid by the taxpayers for the full value of the loan. Then they can resell it to themselves and go for collections for the rest, still possessing the ability to garnish wages, suspend licenses etc.

The problem is noone knows if their college degree actually will improve their wages. The data is notoriously murky. The "million extra dollars" bachelors degree earners allegedly make over high school grads is based on old 20+ year data. Plenty of recent grads are finding their degrees utterly worthless, even some of those in practical fields. And then you have young people with professional degrees that despite making great money are being eaten alive by interest and payments.

The credit itself is the cause of the ballooning cost of university. Cut off that spigot and youll see a mass firing of high paid administrators and the return of prices to this planet. The government guaranteed loans and direct government loans are what distorted the market in the first place.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:34 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Because if you cant pay a mortgage the bank comes and takes the house back, and you get a black mark on your credit for several years and thats the end. Default on that student loan, and they can add 50% to the balance per default, garnish your tax returns, wages, social security, and suspend your professional license which gets you a job in the first place. Many people have taken out 50k loans only to find themselves over 200k in debt after extended unemployment leads to a string of defaults. Because the government backs all these loans, you've got private companies like sallie mae coming in willy nilly offering loans and preying on poor kids and hoping for a default. When the student defaults they are automatically repaid by the taxpayers for the full value of the loan. Then they can resell it to themselves and go for collections for the rest, still possessing the ability to garnish wages, suspend licenses etc.

The problem is noone knows if their college degree actually will improve their wages. The data is notoriously murky. The "million extra dollars" bachelors degree earners allegedly make over high school grads is based on old 20+ year data. Plenty of recent grads are finding their degrees utterly worthless, even some of those in practical fields. And then you have young people with professional degrees that despite making great money are being eaten alive by interest and payments.

The credit itself is the cause of the ballooning cost of university. Cut off that spigot and youll see a mass firing of high paid administrators and the return of prices to this planet. The government guaranteed loans and direct government loans are what distorted the market in the first place.
And the government backs mortgages too. You know, FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc. ? It isn't just student loans.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:55 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
It was allowed, by yes, government, to swell in it's cost because it was perceived as "free" by the average 18-19 year old. No, they weren't writing checks, and perhaps their parental units were not either. In any event, here we are, exorbitant costs, and the system is predicated on the likelihood that they are guaranteed. Well, the end borrower isn't guaranteed an income to pay that loan back with. No money, no repayment. 6 month deferral period or no. It's BS. I'm not going to let my oldest go that deep into the hole. If it can't be done with our help, and perhaps a MODEST loan for an actual technical field degree, we won't be doing.

Amerikan dream is crap. If you aren't brilliant or come up with something that Google or FB will pay you personally 1 billion dollars for, forget it.

NOT NAIVE.

Last edited by ashpelham; 01-25-2016 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: spelling, which I actually didn't go to college for.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:14 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
It all comes back to the purpose of Higher Education.

Historically, the purpose of higher education was to prepare the student to be a better citizen, not for a financially secure future. Many academics, particularly in the Liberal Arts, argue that education is its own purpose. That era is behind us, never to return.

If I were a cynic, I'd say the purpose of Higher Education is three-fold:
  • Sex for the students
  • Football for the alumni
  • Parking spaces for the faculty
Uhh...not even sure what to make of this post. Perhaps I'm being ungracious but it reads like a parody of itself.

You seem to be familiar enough with Clark Kerr's famous statement about the purpose of college to rip it off ("The chancellor's job had come to be defined as providing parking for the faculty, sex for the students, and athletics for the alumni.") and at least seem to want people to think it's an original thought.

...and yet you completely gloss over that Kerr said this in 1957 with the "that era is behind us" lament, and it's been a joke (funny b/c it's true) within higher education ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics