Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 09:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It was in 2015. 2011 was the rock bottom of the housing crisis aftermath. Values are at least double now if not more.
Very true...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 09:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
As a low earner, I never understood why anyone would 'strategically' default and walk away from a home. I'd never do it because I know that with my earning power, if I ever owned a home I'd hold on for dear life because I'd never again have enough with which to buy.
I was speaking with a couple that went through the Great Depression and they have the same sentiment...

People would do anything not to let the bank take the house... take in boarders, bring in laundry, put the kids to work, start a vegetable garden... just to keep the roof over their heads.

Maybe it was more a case of easy come easy go... many today had very little down and many were relatively new to owning... the courtesy clerk at the local Safeway bought several homes with another Safeway employee... I think they had 5 altogether and lost all of them.

For others it was an investment that was no longer paying dividends... in many markets it got to the point one could rent for half the cost of owning... all of which was true and as everyone now knows was short sighted... speaking of the California market.

So many had said California is done... finished... never to be heard from again... maybe it was mass hysteria?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-21-2016 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-21-2016, 01:37 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
Checking in just to update everyone on my situation over here.

I woke up again this morning in my 'luxury item' (house).

Although hung over on a whole new level, I managed to slam another shot of Jagermeister to get me back in the zone before I have what I call a Sky-O-Wake-Up, which is double shot of Jim Beam with Sprite and crushed ice.

Anyway, while sitting in my luxury item, I found my property tax bill that is due in April and somehow this place doesn't feel as luxurious as it did earlier. That and the fact that the roof needs to be replaced next year and realizing that I have about two decades left on the mortgage has me still somewhat confused about the 'luxury' aspect of this place.

I am starting to think that the investor class that invests in mortgage backed securities might be living in slightly more luxury than me when I consider the amount of interest paid during the first ten years I have had this mortgage.

As I stood on my deck looking out towards an apartment building in the distance, I came to the conclusion that a certain select group of tenants that live there are on Section 8 and in most cases they do not even have to pay to live there. I mean, it is not as nice as my place, but still. . . . . . they don't have to pay any rent.

There is a possibility that not having to pay to live anywhere might be more of a form of luxury than having to pay a mortgage, property taxes and insurance on a place.

I don't even have any kids but most of the property taxes that I pay go to pay for public schools. This is strange. In addition to being convinced that I have a luxury item (that I don't even have a title for), I am forced to pay for public schools despite not having any kids.

As I looked earlier over at my neighbors house and noticed their new $40,000 (+) SUV and wondered how they paid for it, I realized that they have both of their kids in public school and do not have to cover the $14,000 or more per child annually to have them educated, which would be about $28,000 a year for both of them. So the SUV purchase must have been a logical response to the fact that their kids are educated for free by taxpayers.

Now, close to $30,000 in free education from K-12 for two kids. Now THAT is a 'luxury item'.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:16 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post

- my property tax bill that is due in April
- roof needs to be replaced
- two decades left on the mortgage

select group of tenants that live there are on Section 8 and in most cases they do not even have to pay to live there. I mean, it is not as nice as my place, but still. . . . . . they don't have to pay any rent.
LOL but don't you know, they want to live in a luxury place like yours but "they don't want to pay for it".

Oh and how do you like that "not so affordable" catastrophic health care insurance that is called Obamacare. I get to pay $800 a month while the people in section 8, who get the same care pay nothing.

It's all screwed up. When government intervenes, in an effort to help the poor it makes it worse, a lot worse.... Hold on to your wallet because they're coming to dip into it!

They'll never be happy.

Last edited by petch751; 02-21-2016 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-21-2016, 02:23 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Quote:

Although hung over on a whole new level, I managed to slam another shot of Jagermeister to get me back in the zone before I have what I call a Sky-O-Wake-Up, which is double shot of Jim Beam with Sprite and crushed ice.

Anyway, while sitting in my luxury item, I found my property tax bill that is due in April and somehow this place doesn't feel as luxurious as it did earlier. That and the fact that the roof needs to be replaced next year and realizing that I have about two decades left on the mortgage has me still somewhat confused about the 'luxury' aspect of this place.

I am starting to think that the investor class that invests in mortgage backed securities might be living in slightly more luxury than me when I consider the amount of interest paid during the first ten years I have had this mortgage.

As I stood on my deck looking out towards an apartment building in the distance, I came to the conclusion that a certain select group of tenants that live there are on Section 8 and in most cases they do not even have to pay to live there. I mean, it is not as nice as my place, but still. . . . . . they don't have to pay any rent.

There is a possibility that not having to pay to live anywhere might be more of a form of luxury than having to pay a mortgage, property taxes and insurance on a place.

I don't even have any kids but most of the property taxes that I pay go to pay for public schools. This is strange. In addition to being convinced that I have a luxury item (that I don't even have a title for), I am forced to pay for public schools despite not having any kids.

As I looked earlier over at my neighbors house and noticed their new $40,000 (+) SUV and wondered how they paid for it, I realized that they have both of their kids in public school and do not have to cover the $14,000 or more per child annually to have them educated, which would be about $28,000 a year for both of them. So the SUV purchase must have been a logical response to the fact that their kids are educated for free by taxpayers.

Now, close to $30,000 in free education from K-12 for two kids. Now THAT is a 'luxury item'.
I wish you good luck

Old 02-21-2016, 03:25 PM

35,080 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I think it's obvious mostly singles will be working in these positions.

They can live there say 4-5 years, make good savings and move or start their businesses
Kind of hard when it all goes to rent.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:39 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:

I think I found your problem

Old 02-21-2016, 03:45 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:

I'm not saying a house is luxory but simply because things come with high cost of ownership or maintenance doesn't mean they aren't luxory. A yacht or private jet are expensive to own does that mean they aren't luxory?

Old 02-21-2016, 05:15 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Kind of hard when it all goes to rent.
It shouldn't all go to rent. A single can rent a room for $1200/month even in the Bay Area. Even making $50k/year there should be room for savings.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:21 PM

35,080 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
It shouldn't all go to rent. A single can rent a room for $1200/month even in the Bay Area. Even making $50k/year there should be room for savings.
That's way more rent than is recommend for that income level. You're also assuming little to no debt. If you are paying that much for a room on that income, go find somewhere more reasonable to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics