Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 11:08 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/43072035-post60.html

You know that you have a population bubble going to retire at the same time. So the fund runs a surplus for 30 years like the SS administration did expecting some positive rate of return down the road. Well ZIRP is wiping that positive rate out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 11:15 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Us millennials will have major headaches with retirement.

There is ZIRP and possibly NIRP.

On top of that population.

It will be like 1:1 or 1.5:1 at best.

Can you imagine that

Old 02-22-2016, 05:34 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Us millennials will have major headaches with retirement.

There is ZIRP and possibly NIRP.

On top of that population.

It will be like 1:1 or 1.5:1 at best.

Can you imagine that
I think it's a bit premature to say.

I know that my peers right within 2 or 3 years of my age were old enough during 2008 to be shocked by what happened. We were relatively lucky, and many had entered the job markets before the labor markets collapsed. A lot of people, provided they had the income, hunkered down and started saving big time. We would be 'older millenials'.

I think people who are 4-5+ years younger than me have a very different memory of what happened that year, and maybe have a more careless attitude towards saving -- probably driven by their comparatively worse labor market experience and less ability to save. But that's not based on data, just based on my observations.

---

Now as far as interest rates are concerned, people our age shouldn't be relying on bonds. Conventional wisdom is that young people should invest their retirement assets in the equity markets.

What's important to our age cohort are wages, and I think raising interest rates will, if anything, hurt wages.

Last edited by le roi; 02-22-2016 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 05:53 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Now as far as interest rates are concerned, people our age shouldn't be relying on bonds. Conventional wisdom is that young people should invest their retirement assets in the equity markets.
There are people in this forum who believe bonds are too risky too, and have put all their retirement savings in cash. The stated reasons are everything from the vague "the game is rigged" to the concrete "that's what my Dad did."

Old 02-22-2016, 07:54 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
I'm sure I'll never be prepear-ed for retirement. I hear pears are great tasting fruit, though.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm sure I'll never be prepear-ed for retirement. I hear pears are great tasting fruit, though.
And If I could only spell. but I wouldn't trade what my mind is good at to be able to spell well.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:28 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I think it's a bit premature to say.

I know that my peers right within 2 or 3 years of my age were old enough during 2008 to be shocked by what happened. We were relatively lucky, and many had entered the job markets before the labor markets collapsed. A lot of people, provided they had the income, hunkered down and started saving big time. We would be 'older millenials'.

I think people who are 4-5+ years younger than me have a very different memory of what happened that year, and maybe have a more careless attitude towards saving -- probably driven by their comparatively worse labor market experience and less ability to save. But that's not based on data, just based on my observations.

---

What's important to our age cohort are wages, and I think raising interest rates will, if anything, hurt wages.
Wages are not gonna go up at all.

Now i might be wrong but bear with me.

In the post WW2 Era there was a sort of labor shortage here.

So businesses had to offer high wages to get people from Europe.

And you had a world in shambles so exports booming, domestic demand at record levels.

No wonder GDP growth was sustained at 4% for some time.

But today it's a different picture.

Labor is enough and maybe there is even some excess

World economy growing at 3% and stable.

There isn't major demand for American exports.

In this picture i don't think wages are gonna go up substantially.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Wages are not gonna go up at all.

Now i might be wrong but bear with me.

In the post WW2 Era there was a sort of labor shortage here.

So businesses had to offer high wages to get people from Europe.

And you had a world in shambles so exports booming, domestic demand at record levels.

No wonder GDP growth was sustained at 4% for some time.

But today it's a different picture.

Labor is enough and maybe there is even some excess

World economy growing at 3% and stable.

There isn't major demand for American exports.

In this picture i don't think wages are gonna go up substantially.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
Really good analysis. World production capacity was damaged by the war.

Not until world wages exceed ours. The faster we get there the better. US minimum wage everywhere.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:50 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Really good analysis. World production capacity was damaged by the war.

Not until world wages exceed ours. The faster we get there the better. US minimum wage everywhere.
The USA does not = Germany after WWI and Trump (as nuts as he may be about some things) is no Hitler; nor is the US economy anywhere near a disaster.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The USA does not = Germany after WWI and Trump (as nuts as he may be about some things) is no Hitler; nor is the US economy anywhere near a disaster.
But it isn't the model of health. And what needs to change to get it there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics