Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 04:48 PM

24,565 posts, read 18,309,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

I'm in education and there is a limit to how much of a premium the public sector pays due to CoL. Typically schools in low CoL regions use lower housing costs as an excuse to low-ball salaries. I could have gotten a number of jobs back in my home-state Texas, but they pay 10-15K less. I could make that much as a bartender in Texas. Housing is indeed less there, but not 15K a year less. I've rejected offers like that in the past.
Nobody made you pick public school teacher as a career track. You could have picked something where you work 50 weeks per year with 2 weeks of paid vacation and 10 holidays with expected 50+ hour work weeks. That's what most of us do. If you work out the hourly rate, it's not clear which pays more.

If you want to afford housing, marry another teacher. That gives you a comfortable near-upper middle class life most places. You can afford a nice modest house in a good town and have the summer off, a couple weeks at Christmas off, and at least a spring break of some sort off. If you stay single, I'm cryin' the crocodile tears at your plight. You picked a path that will never pay you 5%er income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 05:21 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,256,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nobody made you pick public school teacher as a career track. You could have picked something where you work 50 weeks per year with 2 weeks of paid vacation and 10 holidays with expected 50+ hour work weeks. That's what most of us do. If you work out the hourly rate, it's not clear which pays more.

If you want to afford housing, marry another teacher. That gives you a comfortable near-upper middle class life most places. You can afford a nice modest house in a good town and have the summer off, a couple weeks at Christmas off, and at least a spring break of some sort off. If you stay single, I'm cryin' the crocodile tears at your plight. You picked a path that will never pay you 5%er income.
So you're saying that only the top 5% of earners can afford a house? We have to be one of the *elites* to live a "middle" class life? So much for middle class, then.

The workload is approximately what you listed. I have never taken summer off because I can't afford it, so I actually do work about that much. The only faculty I know who take summer off have been working 15+ years or have spouses with good jobs. I start the summer term the Monday after spring graduation on Saturday and then start the Fall one week after summer term ends.

If it was so great, people wouldn't quit after an average of 7 years. I'm in year 4 now. I don't know if I'll make it either. The never-ending piles and piles of grading mediocre papers & assignments and never having a sense of being done takes its toll.

Last edited by redguard57; 03-01-2016 at 05:30 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 05:25 PM

305 posts, read 180,363 times
I just love being told how lazy and entitled I am, and to stop whining, when all I'm doing is explaining my choices.

Older folks are ALWAYS asking me if I want more. Don't you want another kid? Don't you want a bigger house? Don't you want to own a new car one day? I can't afford college for another kid, I can pay this small house off in my lifetime because lord knows I need all the money in my 401k as I can get, I don't see us getting a new car ever when I'm looking at easily spending $6000 over the next year in necessary medical expenses, and since it's a chronic condition those expenses aren't ever going away...

No, I'm not living the American Dream, I quite frankly believe that for the overwhelming majority the American Dream is unattainable - but I'm not the one complaining about it. Most people my age are trying to be responsible and if we tell you we can't have more after you ask us if we want more - don't accuse us of complaining when we tell you what the reality of "more" is.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:35 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
this guy is so out of touch....What's in the water in Omaha.
Omaha does have very little in common with most of the US, Buffett needs to get out of Nebraska more often.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:40 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,367,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Warren Buffett is being optimistic for the sake of the future generation. He knows beyond technology most young people will not have it easy in terms of having a family, a house, and savings. The economy makes it hard for people to have kids. Without immigration America is just like Japan. A dying country. Forbes Welcome
It also seems to be a theory out there about why (some) European governments have been allowing so many Syrian/Muslim refugees, despite the huge social problems it has caused.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:58 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
I just love being told how lazy and entitled I am, and to stop whining, when all I'm doing is explaining my choices.

Older folks are ALWAYS asking me if I want more. Don't you want another kid? Don't you want a bigger house? Don't you want to own a new car one day? I can't afford college for another kid, I can pay this small house off in my lifetime because lord knows I need all the money in my 401k as I can get, I don't see us getting a new car ever when I'm looking at easily spending $6000 over the next year in necessary medical expenses, and since it's a chronic condition those expenses aren't ever going away...

No, I'm not living the American Dream, I quite frankly believe that for the overwhelming majority the American Dream is unattainable - but I'm not the one complaining about it. Most people my age are trying to be responsible and if we tell you we can't have more after you ask us if we want more - don't accuse us of complaining when we tell you what the reality of "more" is.
The fact that you're being frugal and socking it away is part and parcel of the American dream.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:03 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,592,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
No, I'm not living the American Dream, I quite frankly believe that for the overwhelming majority the American Dream is unattainable
Can you define "American Dream" so I know what you believe is unattainable?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Things are great, better than they ever have been.

That is, if you ignore
1) Cost of housing far beyond inflation
2) Cost of health care far beyond inflation
3) Cost of education far beyond inflation
It would be interesting to see what the median out of pocket is for each of these categories in a given year, especially over time.

Rent varies a lot by location but overall in the US higher in real dollars but not significantly, and I'm not sure how much increased home prices are offset by mortgage rates being 3-4% instead of much higher historical averages.

Healthcare costs can be astronomical, but then again if you aren't sick and just paying premiums in an employee plan they might not be that much. My wife and I were paying about $350/month, and fortunately didn't test the waters of actually using it much. Knowing median total out of pocket costs would be interesting.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,661,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
I am an old woman, and the generation of millenials gives me more hope for the future of this country than I have had in years. I now believe that the best times in this country may be in its' future BECAUSE of the young people. I am amazed at their balanced priorities, concern for others, and incredible creativity.

Warren Buffet? I have actually always greatly admired the man. I did wince a bit by his statement. Todays young people may not be the "luckiest in history," but I suspect that future generations may be lucky to have had todays young people to lead the way to social sanity.
Are you kidding? Never before have people been more self absorbed. We have a generation or two now that seems to think their every movement must be posted online. They think everyone is concerned with what they had for lunch and what they do all day.

I just an online wedding invite as a example. A young couple in their late 20s, who have lived together for about 5 years and between the two of them make into the six figures.

Most of the website is telling you how you can donate to their honeymoon fund, or their buy a house fund, or their furniture fund. Seriously? How about you be thankful that you will getting a gift from your guests. Buy your own house by saving for it, or use whatever cash you get as gifts towards that. What nerve to tell people what they should get for you.

They also most have 20 or so pictures of themselves making goofy faces, I guess that's supposed to be funny? Couldn't just have a few simple photos and announce the day.

Concern for others? I see a very self absorbed "all about me" society today.

And I still feel sorry for them, they have been short changed. They're inheriting a lot of debt, jobs have gone out of the country, we now live in very uncertain times, fear is the dominating factor. I wish I could feel more optimistic but I don't about the future of this country.

I'm glad my 20s were in the 80s, I wouldn't want to be 25 now for anything.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What nerve to tell people what they should get for you.
Wedding/gift registries have been around since as long as I can remember so they are hardly something to be placed on the head of today's young people as proof they are self-absorbed.

Saying they want gifting to go towards a honeymoon or house is, at it's basic level, no different than someone in 1985 saying they want the fondue pot, 24 piece tupperware set, and six piece glassware set with rose stems. If anything it is more practical than just getting a bunch of crap you don't want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics