Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times

Advertisements

A lady has changed her habit of how she lists names on her phone after her purse was stolen, which contained her cellphone, credit card, wallet etc.

20 minutes later she called her husband, from a pay phone telling him what had happened, hubby says 'I've just received your text asking for our PIN number and I've replied a little while ago.'
When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn. The pickpocket had actually used the stolen hand phone to text 'hubby' in the contact list and got hold of the pin number. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from the bank account. Moral of the lesson: Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your contact list. Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, sweetheart, Dad, Mom etc....... And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked thru texts, CONFIRM by calling back. Also, when you're being texted by friends or family to meet them somewhere, be sure to call back to confirm that the message came from them. If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet 'family and friends' who text you.

Something to think about & maybe make a change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 11:28 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,416 times
Thats an interesting situation.

My phone has last names, but I'm the only person with access to my bank accounts.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:58 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,442 times
Thanks for the story, South. I'd never have thought of something like this happening.

In some cases, I'm not sure of the best solution... case in point... I read about putting the initials "ICE" for "in case of emergency" before the name of your emergency contact. It's supposed to be in the event one's found ill/unconscious & in need of medical treatment. I've done so... now I'm wondering.

I've also heard that folks are using their camera phones to take pics of ATM screens of the person in front of them, hoping to gain as much personal info as possible. Good reason to block as much of the screen as you possibly can when at the ATM. Geesh, what's next? I sometimes wonder why I leave the house. Oh, yea, Starbucks...

Thanks for the info... VV

Old 02-13-2008, 08:15 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
These identy thieves are hard to keep ahead of. I've cancelled all but one credit card, computer passwords are unrelated to my life, we shred everything with a name or number on it. Now it's my phone? Whew! This technology is hard to keep up with. Thanks for the heads-up, guess I need to clear the memory, or encrypt it.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
My account has a 500 dollar daily limit.

I wonder what "all the money" was. "All the money" as in $3000 bucks? Or "all the money" as in $200.

ATM accounts have limits.

Nice cautionary tale, though.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Bankcard PIN Theft by Text Message

Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Thanks for the story, South. I'd never have thought of something like this happening.

In some cases, I'm not sure of the best solution... case in point... I read about putting the initials "ICE" for "in case of emergency" before the name of your emergency contact. It's supposed to be in the event one's found ill/unconscious & in need of medical treatment. I've done so... now I'm wondering.

I've also heard that folks are using their camera phones to take pics of ATM screens of the person in front of them, hoping to gain as much personal info as possible. Good reason to block as much of the screen as you possibly can when at the ATM. Geesh, what's next? I sometimes wonder why I leave the house. Oh, yea, Starbucks...

I dont think you need to change how you label people... just make sure that you get confirmation on who you're talking to.

I also have emergency contacts in my phone. One is my brother, and one is my father. Hell, my father doesn't even really know what text messages are...

Old 02-15-2008, 03:38 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
I dont think you need to change how you label people... just make sure that you get confirmation on who you're talking to.

I also have emergency contacts in my phone. One is my brother, and one is my father. Hell, my father doesn't even really know what text messages are...
Hi Radek -

Hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day!

I understand. I'm too often tongue-in-cheek, but don't use a lot of so people think I'm serious. Guess I need to make better use of or become more serious. Nah... I have a too serious job... I'll just use

I hear ya... my mom refers to everything as a "machine"... car, answering machine, computer... she feels all machines have minds of their own, may spontaneously "start smoking" if she uses them incorrectly, are somehow all connected (collective electronic unconscious) & are taking over our lives at will.

I could tell you stories that would have you laughing for days about the deer caught in headlights looks I get from her while trying to describe how to use some machine. Now, I just say, "call me when the machine is broken"... meaning the pause button is pressed while she's trying to listen to a tape. Yes, tape. CDs are too scary right now... or... she's mistaken the TV remote for the cordless phone... again... (no, I'm not kidding!) Ah, moms... I'm so happy she doesn't have a driver's license. So is the rest of Boston...

Oh...

Nice to see you. Have a great weekend, Radek... VV

Old 02-15-2008, 04:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
A lady has changed her habit of how she lists names on her phone after her purse was stolen, which contained her cellphone, credit card, wallet etc.

20 minutes later she called her husband, from a pay phone telling him what had happened, hubby says 'I've just received your text asking for our PIN number and I've replied a little while ago.'
When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn. The pickpocket had actually used the stolen hand phone to text 'hubby' in the contact list and got hold of the pin number. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from the bank account. Moral of the lesson: Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your contact list. Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, sweetheart, Dad, Mom etc....... And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked thru texts, CONFIRM by calling back. Also, when you're being texted by friends or family to meet them somewhere, be sure to call back to confirm that the message came from them. If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet 'family and friends' who text you.

Something to think about & maybe make a change
If I got that from my wife, I would not reply to it. I would CALL the phone and ask her why she was asking me for something she has KNOWN for years and if anybody else answered I would cancel all her cards ASAP.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post

The rule at an ATM for me is that you stand at least 6 feet behind me while I am using it. If somebody is up on my back when I step up to the ATM, I will, in a polite but firm manner, tell them to back the hell off.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
These identy thieves are hard to keep ahead of. I've cancelled all but one credit card, computer passwords are unrelated to my life, we shred everything with a name or number on it. Now it's my phone? Whew! This technology is hard to keep up with. Thanks for the heads-up, guess I need to clear the memory, or encrypt it.
If your state has a credit lock law, you should take full advantage of it and lock your credit files down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics