Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 07:48 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times

Advertisements

Why would you change tipping? A waiter lives off tips. Their base hourly wage is usually not even minimum wage. However let's say they were making $2.15 an hour plus tips and now are making $3.15 an hour plus tips. They are receiving a higher hourly wage just like everyone else. This has nothing to do with the tips they receive.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:54 AM

128 posts, read 102,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Absolutely.

They should tip us for eating.
I agree. I have hospitality industry experience. While I wouldn't mandate getting rid of tips as incentives, if someone is getting paid $16/hr, they should see a tip of 5% of the bill to be acceptable and also not expect one at all. In countries where they are paid that well tipping is not done. So the same should go for American cities or states with high minimum wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Why would you change tipping? A waiter lives off tips. Their base hourly wage is usually not even minimum wage. However let's say they were making $2.15 an hour plus tips and now are making $3.15 an hour plus tips. They are receiving a higher hourly wage just like everyone else. This has nothing to do with the tips they receive.
The point of tipping is mainly that the waiter or bartender is being cheapskated by his boss and paid $3/hr. Whereas, if the waiter or bartender is making $12/hr to $15/hr.+ as a base pay why would they get tipped whereas no one is tipping Jennifer the receptionist at Acme Tool Company and she gets paid $9/hr. Why should Jennifer feel coerced into sustain an additional salary base for someone who is making more than she is? If she wants to fine. But the waiter or bartender making a high base pay should stuff it. I've seen too many bartenders and waitresses that EXPECT extraordinary tips even though they provide crap service.

Last edited by CaptainCommander; 05-27-2016 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 07:56 AM

*** woops**

Last edited by CaptainCommander; 05-27-2016 at 08:12 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 08:23 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,238,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Nonsense. Waiters and waitresses must make at least minimum wage with tips.
I can assure you that there are plenty of servers who walk away from their shift with less than minimum wage. Good days can be way above minimum but a bad shift with few tables and/or bad tippers can yield way less than minimum.

We can all agree that the American system of server pay and tipping isn't fair but until it changes, don't be a jerk and please tip your servers.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I can assure you that there are plenty of servers who walk away from their shift with less than minimum wage. Good days can be way above minimum but a bad shift with few tables and/or bad tippers can yield way less than minimum.

We can all agree that the American system of server pay and tipping isn't fair but until it changes, don't be a jerk and please tip your servers.
Some people don't realize that tipped jobs are often exempted from minimum wage or are allowed to have a far lower minimum wage like $3/hr. People that work at St#rbucks are more than likely making $7 or more an hour across the board. But someone working at Zed's Neighborhood Grillz is probably getting a base pay of $3/hr.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:05 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,554,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCommander View Post
Some people don't realize that tipped jobs are often exempted from minimum wage or are allowed to have a far lower minimum wage like $3/hr. People that work at St#rbucks are more than likely making $7 or more an hour across the board. But someone working at Zed's Neighborhood Grillz is probably getting a base pay of $3/hr.
no they are still legally required to make the federal minimum wage, if they aren't tipped enough, the owners have to fill the gap

All those tip workers who quote $3/hr is doing so to mislead the public or they don't understand their own pay stubs.

if you don't want to tip, the owners will still pay them $7.25/8.25 or whatever it is set to where they operate. that's why the tipping culture is pushed, if the owners get someone else to pay their workers, they don't have to. If people stopped tipping, they would have to pay the normal minimum wage.

so don't feel bad about not leaving a tip, they still get the minimum wage like all the other minimum wage workers. If you happen to like the service, tip, but realize that when you do, the bosses just count that as part of their paycheck

Old 05-27-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
no they are still legally required to make the federal minimum wage, if they aren't tipped enough, the owners have to fill the gap

All those tip workers who quote $3/hr is doing so to mislead the public or they don't understand their own pay stubs.

if you don't want to tip, the owners will still pay them $7.25/8.25 or whatever it is set to where they operate. that's why the tipping culture is pushed, if the owners get someone else to pay their workers, they don't have to. If people stopped tipping, they would have to pay the normal minimum wage.

so don't feel bad about not leaving a tip, they still get the minimum wage like all the other minimum wage workers. If you happen to like the service, tip, but realize that when you do, the bosses just count that as part of their paycheck
Believe me I know a lot of bartenders and waitresses who make $200+ a shift and make everyone think they are poor, hurted and destitute and have even convinced themselves of life being so hard and bringing food to people's tables for $22/hr (with tips) being such difficult work akin to Indonesian $1/year child labor. I have worked along side of them and even they would try to lie to me as if I were dumb as a rock but yet, I could see the register rings. $1,240 a week for a six hour shift inclusive of base pay of $6+/hr. and their rent might only be $500 a month.

However, the pay required for tipped workers varies: https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm.

Last edited by CaptainCommander; 05-27-2016 at 09:17 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 09:16 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I don't think it's accounted for on a shift by shift basis.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:34 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,554,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCommander View Post
However, the pay required for tipped workers varies: https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm.
not really, the tips is counted against is what it stated but still required to get the cash minimum, so if there is no tip to be counted against, they get full minimum wage

where do you see that a tipped worker makes less than federal minimum wage?

example being someone makes $6/hr in tips, the employer can only deduct $5.12 from minimum wage and still have to pay the cash minimum of $2.13. So they make $8.13/hr. If no one tips, they have nothing to deduct so they make $7.25/hr. Owners like tips because even a $1/hr tip means they pay $6.25/hr instead of the full $7.25/hr. But many people get $10-20/hr in tips so they get that plus cash minimum for $12.13-22.13/hr

Old 05-27-2016, 10:49 AM

6,481 posts, read 6,689,008 times
I've said it many times before, the American tipping system is RIDICULOUS! There is no sense whatsoever to who gets tips (server, massage therapist, taxi driver, valet guy) and who doesn't (phlebotomist, bus driver, mailman, grocery store clerk).

Studies have shown that the amount of tips are given on completely unfair (and ILLEGAL) standards such as race and beauty, not on quality of service.

There are many, many jobs where people don't earn much money. Should we just hand every single one we encounter throughout the day a few bucks?

Now don't start flaming me for being cheap. I do tip when expected, and I tip well, as high as 50% for excellent service (that's rare. Generally 20-25%) I swear to god I would rather pay twice as much for a meal than have our country continue with its tipping customs. It feels like arbitrary charity to me: "I make more money than you, and you are in a job that someone deemed is worthy of tips, so I get to sprinkle you with an extra 20 bucks to help you pay your bills."

People like me, who do tip well, are keeping menu prices low for the cheapskates who barely tip or don't tip at all. Can you fathom it working that way at the grocery store?? Some people toss in an extra 50 bucks on their $200 of groceries, because the store's workers make less than minimum wage? But it's optional, so some shoppers don't tip at all, and they love that the tippers help keep prices low!! Stupid stupid stupid.

Either EVERY person who makes less money than I make should be getting tips from me as I go through my day, or EVERY person should be paid by his/her EMPLOYER whatever the market deems reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics