Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 09:49 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I don't know why you guys think that robots will make jobs obsolete... it gets rid of some jobs sure, but it makes more
The human competitive advantage will get squeezed until it nearly disappears, unless something happens to halt technological advancements.

The question is whether this tends towards egalitarian prosperity without a need to work, or marginalization and elimination of "useless" humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Someone is a wee bit optimistic
Do you have any rational argument against what he described, or do you just not like it?

Old 07-10-2016, 11:42 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Do you have any rational argument against what he described, or do you just not like it?
Computers crash trying to load simple websites, I wouldn't want to trust my life with one in a car

Old 07-10-2016, 12:07 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
Computers crash trying to load simple websites, I wouldn't want to trust my life with one in a car
What kind of car do you drive? You might already...

There are many new cars that drive with electronic foot pedals and steering wheels. Meaning there is no physical linkage between them and the steering components or throttle. Same is true with many new gear boxes. It's all electronic switches. It's just a matter of time before we have self-driving cars.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:28 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 2 days ago)

600 posts, read 273,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Hell, loo at how many "professional" gamers there are, they sit around and play video games all day and get paid. Look at the travel writers, they roam the world and write on their experiences and get paid. Look at the youtubers making videos of their lives, what shampoo they use and they get paid.
I'm not sure about these examples. When I spend time watching a youtuber, it's time not spent watching tv or playing video games. The youtuber or blogger is going to have a much smaller team than a TV or game production, so in aggregate, one wonders what the net impact is. You can add tech companies like YouTube in the equation, but I have my doubts YouTube + youtubers (the ones that make money) is greater than the TV studios and other media that are almost surely displaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
It isn't the deer at the side of the road that are a danger, but rather the ones bolting full speed out of the woods. Usually you don't see them until it's way too late. Where I live if you slowed down for deer at the side of the road, you'd never get anywhere.

And a decent vision system should be able to detect objects that are on a potential collision course much better than humans.

It think it is funny all the people who think this won't happen. When the tech gets a little more sophisticated, it will far exceed human ability. The same goes for a lot of jobs and potential jobs. Humans will increasingly have a narrow niche where they have a competitive advantage over machines; at least one that is worth a decent wage. The only rational discussion should be how far it will go and how fast it will happen.
Mostly agree, though I assumed the deer bolting out scenario was actually a simpler scenario: there's not much to do other than detect motion, collision course, and react. That can handled without object recognition maybe the LIDAR mentioned previously is good for this case.

I still feel that driving depends on switching between A-to-B mode and defensive driving mode, and vision/object recognition is needed to balance those modes competitively.

On your last paragraph, I concur, and I think people fail to understand advanced tech because things just don't seem complicated when they "just work". Even if something fails, the person often just sees the one fail point, and not the millions of other places where something could have gone wrong.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:24 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
The problem with thinking more jobs are going to be created is that all the ones created are just going to be jobs that robots can do? If robots can work for nothing why would you create a job and have to pay a human?

Old 07-12-2016, 05:35 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
The problem with thinking more jobs are going to be created is that all the ones created are just going to be jobs that robots can do? If robots can work for nothing why would you create a job and have to pay a human?
Well, I do have to disagree somewhat since I worked over 45 years as a frontline HC provider..People in crisis need human contact..not some robot to come to bedside and stupid data results. Human contact is a MUST!! No computer can sooth fear/pain or give support..So better rethink just HOW much computerized jobs and CARE any computerized world could accomplish.

Then I have to assume it takes human's to come up with those programs and apps and codes that enable those computer driven jobs to even get anything done.. Computers are unable to problem solve when things go wrong..Talking to my son who is IT person in top Logistical Company..Tells me ..He is on call 24/7 when THINGS go wrong..He figures it..and YEP Computer Glitches combined with human error was the problem..Solving it takes the human ..not a program that has narrow data's..So Even Computer's can cause issues..They can't prevent bad entries..then just shut down..How's that helpful in a Logistical business??

It's pessimistic to assume robotic's will control everything..THATS just Big Brother Conspiracy theories..being recycled..I heard the same thing over quarter Century+ ago...I still don't drink THAT Kool Aide! LOL

Old 07-12-2016, 05:49 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Well, I do have to disagree somewhat since I worked over 45 years as a frontline HC provider..People in crisis need human contact..not some robot to come to bedside and stupid data results. Human contact is a MUST!! No computer can sooth fear/pain or give support..So better rethink just HOW much computerized jobs and CARE any computerized world could accomplish.

Then I have to assume it takes human's to come up with those programs and apps and codes that enable those computer driven jobs to even get anything done.. Computers are unable to problem solve when things go wrong..Talking to my son who is IT person in top Logistical Company..Tells me ..He is on call 24/7 when THINGS go wrong..He figures it..and YEP Computer Glitches combined with human error was the problem..Solving it takes the human ..not a program that has narrow data's..So Even Computer's can cause issues..They can't prevent bad entries..then just shut down..How's that helpful in a Logistical business??

It's pessimistic to assume robotic's will control everything..THATS just Big Brother Conspiracy theories..being recycled..I heard the same thing over quarter Century+ ago...I still don't drink THAT Kool Aide! LOL
Why would a robot need to comfort and support that is what friends and family are for? It is not like we will never seen another human again. I am sure in hospitals the future we will create either more human like computers or computers that have a screen where humans can video chat like Skype. Computers are going be so good they do not need a human to tell them what to do or solve problems for them. No not all jobs will be automated computers may need people to fix them until they or another computer can fix themselves but you need a lot less people to do that.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:01 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,706 times
Where does society end up going twenty years or so down the line when many medical, legal, technical, and financial jobs can now be more reliably done by a machine that doesn't need a salary, time off, or medical benefits? Basic income? Civil unrest? Make work programs like the CCC? Something more sinister with the surplus population?

OP. I'd say...in bad trouble. For many of us we are already there. Use your head. Higher and higher rents, more and more people and fewer and fewer jobs. Something has to give.

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpres...oli-jr-mr1.jpg

For well connected others, they are racking in millions upon millions. Just depends where you fit in. For me, I'd be homeless if lived in any of the big, unaffordable cities. I can just squeak by in the Rustbelt...just.

I was born in L.A., lived there for 3+ decades, but couldn't afford living there any longer...that was in '89. I used to rent a one room office downtown L.A. in the mid '1980's for $65 or $75 a month. Room had a sink you could pee in, but nothing else. Cooked on a hotplate and had a mini fridge. Had to use the toilet down the hall. I showered at a local school gym I snuck into. I have no idea how they pay some of these crazy rents nowadays.

Used to be the artists' loft was the way for thrifty bohemians. Then lofts became faddish and now they cost more to rent than apartments.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
That's because OSes and software try to accommodate and interface with an infinite variety of hardware and software. That isn't how auto AI control systems work at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics