Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 01:20 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post

Using a mortgage to buy property and borrowing money to buy stock ( or any other asset ) is EXACTLY the same. You are borrowing money to buy an asset. There's no difference at all.

Please show me where I can get a stock mortgage. Maybe a no down VA 30 year fixed! Ha! Ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 01:29 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,902,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Please show me where I can get a stock mortgage. Maybe a no down VA 30 year fixed! Ha! Ha!
An broker will lend you money on a brokerage account.

It's the lending of the money that causes the leverage and not the term of the loan. Perhaps that is why you do not understand the concept(?)

Also, note that I fixed all my posts so that they don't have an inordinate number of "carriage returns" in them. Do you need help with that concept also?

Old 07-16-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:

Using a mortgage to buy property and borrowing money to buy stock ( or any other asset ) is EXACTLY the same.
Then it is NOT exactly the same as you stated and even bolded here. See how every time I point out your incorrect statements you back track? FAIL

Old 07-16-2016, 02:01 AM

Anyway, still waiting on you to show me how leverage magnifies my losses. Or have you given up on that claim?

Old 07-16-2016, 05:19 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,902,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Anyway, still waiting on you to show me how leverage magnifies my losses. Or have you given up on that claim?
I already did, but you weren't up to understanding it.

Others have also basically restated my point of view and their arguments were also above your level of understanding. Why would I post anything else about it for you?

Old 07-16-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I already did, but you weren't up to understanding it.

Others have also basically restated my point of view and their arguments were also above your level of understanding. Why would I post anything else about it for you?
Because every attempt anyone has tried in this thread had been proven incorrect by me. Then you start changing the parameters to try to cover for your false statement.

Humor me and cut and paste any proof that has not been debunked by me.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:14 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,600,149 times
Why has this thread degenerated? It started out interesting.

The Census counts the number of people who own their house free and clear. Has anyone linked to that?

Sorry, I couldn't read through the arguments.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:26 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,786,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The average homeowner moves every 7 years.
This is the primary reason, and your pretty much paying mostly interest the first 7 years you own a house, people sell around the time they are finally making a dent in there mortgage amount. If it wasn't for appreciation (assuming there is any), buying is a lousy investment.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:43 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Why has this thread degenerated? It started out interesting.

The Census counts the number of people who own their house free and clear. Has anyone linked to that?

Sorry, I couldn't read through the arguments.
If it is from the Census, then why isn't the data limited to once every 10 years? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:43 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,600,149 times
They do updates in between. Not as accurate, I expect, but they are the pros.

A mortgage is different than a stock loan in that you aren't forced to sell your house if it goes underwater. Keep making the payments, it's all good and you have a roof over your head.

Good point that a 30 yr loan is mostly interest in the 1st 7 yrs. Best advice is to get a 15 yr loan, especially if you expect to move and/or if it's an older house that will need repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics