Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 09:35 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
Yep. Recessions are a part of the modern economy. Expecting endless economic growth is bizarre.

Do your long term retirement planning and savings around the fact that recessions exist and will happen every decade or so and there's no issue.
All these responses are solely from the investment perspective. If the recession causes one to lose their job, house, or go significantly into debt then it can have a long term effect on that person's financial well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 09:43 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Most recessions are the product of credit tightening, either intentional by the Fed to cool an overheated economy or due to market crises. Occasionally they are caused due to swings in the inventory cycle or people not buying as a result of inflation.

I'm no economist, but unless Brexit triggers a world crisis, it's hard to see any of the other triggers coming into play. Anyway, as others have noted, recessions are part of life.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:45 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,327,208 times
I love how everyone keeps saying "recession" and "everyone will have no money" like 10 years ago..

---Let me ask you a question...

Does the money just "disappear"?.....LOL

You don't have any money, your neighbor doesn't have any money, poor people don't have any money, middle class doesn't have any money...

Where did it "go"????..... you think it just vanished?

Zero sum game my dear sheep....

Old 07-07-2016, 12:37 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
What will we do?

We'll do what we've always done; evolve and adapt.

S**t happens. Get used to it.
I understand your statement and have made same comments before but....
If you're not part of the solution you are then A PART OF THE PROBLEM!
We need to do whatever it is we can do to stop this sort of inappropriate actions by those we elect and NO LONGER ELECT THEM...

Old 07-07-2016, 12:49 PM

271 posts, read 384,352 times
What will this recession look like?

Old 07-07-2016, 01:27 PM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
it really is a silly thread to begin with . there is no answer and certainly not one worth spending our time even thinking about since we can't control things anyway .

Old 07-07-2016, 01:46 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Recessions are an ordinary part of the economic cycle. People who save for a rainy day have little to worry about. Companies that are capable of hunkering down and weathering soft economic times are better and stronger for it.

There are many more important things to be concerned about. Recessions have been happening long before any of us were around, and they will continue to happen when the conditions are right for it.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:10 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

just worry about getting your own life in order and on a successful path . if you don't you will pay the price .
In the real world, for many their own lives and very survival hinges on the economic state of the nation.

For those insulated from the tides of recession, good luck to them , they are in a better place to be than the rest of us.

And in the real world, focus on a career and willingness to work does not ensure anything in this day and age.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:11 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
We?
I know what I'm going to do and that is all that I can control.

Retired. 66/69. LTCi, no appreciable debts. Own. 4 Buckets: Early SS + pension; GLWB deferred annuities; Discretionary accts; Rental Condo. Can live well on 2 buckets.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:29 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I mean literally what the hell

Now we're hearing even from MSM the "r word".

And i see no exit strategy whatsoever.

FED can't bail out anymore.

Maybe fiscal stimulus and infrastructure spending but that means more and more debt again

Everyone is saying that now.

Deutsche Bank Says U.S. Headed for a Recession - Fortune
Can't speak for anyone else, and you can do whatever you want (looks like you've decided to panic), but I plan to remain very calm and snap up bargains like last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics