Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 05:35 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Where are these mystical 150k houses in good neighborhoods?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn...ity),_New_York

Beautiful scenery too.

Unfortunately, the property taxes will eat you alive.

Last edited by Freak80; 07-11-2016 at 05:53 AM..

Old 07-11-2016, 07:21 AM

759 posts, read 637,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The Bay Area is absolutely insane. I was just looking at zillow -- You can get okay places in the New York City area half what a median Bay Area house costs. It's got to be one of the most outrageous housing markets in the world.
Seattle too...

You can make $70k a year (I do) and still not be able to afford a 1 BR.

Saw a piece on the news just a few days ago... Seattle home prices have risen 74% in the last 5 years... median price $666,000.

L

O

L

Old 07-11-2016, 11:51 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
A few years ago an old high school buddy of mine found himself with a blended family of 6 kids and 2 adults. He was an over-the-road driver, but left the road and bought a house in Minot - 6000 sf 8 bedroom 4.5 bath for $165k, and went to work for a defense contractor. That was before the Bakken boom. You can still find reasonably priced housing in areas with stable or declining population. Contrary to popular mythology, there are jobs everywhere that allow a comfortable middle class existence.
Sort of. What my wife and I found is that there's a significant "two-body problem" in smaller towns & isolated areas. Either one of us could find a decent job in our field, but the other one would struggle to find something not service or retail-related. We ended up getting pretty lucky where we are. Although she's still working below her salary potential, at least she found something in her field.

A single person can put his or her mind to it with a little flexibility and go pretty much anywhere in the country.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:41 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Colorado will likely have much greater economic growth than Kansas for some time to come, so much of it is a supply and demand issue as to why housing is appreciating much faster in CO.
Agree completely. My city, Topeka, has historically had a very stable housing market and it's entirely possible to get a good 3 bed, 2 bath home for under $150K in a good neighborhood. In the housing bubble back on 2008, our home prices hardly fell at all, but it was a difficult time to sell, but most people seemed to just hold on to their homes.

Edit: There are cities all over the Midwest where one can find a good home for under $150K in a good neighborhood. The trade-offs are, you likely won't be making $75K+ a year and the location won't be a nearly as interesting as many coastal or mountain states/cities. But I make about $50K a year, which is above average here, and with our paid off home and a LCOL area, that leaves us tons of money for savings, retirement, vacations, travelling, etc. We do eventually want to move to somewhere more interesting, so our plan is to save for the next 10 years and buy a house when we turn 40ish in a better location.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:41 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
So the problem is not the price of the house it is the price of the house exactly where you want it.

You have no concept of how the real estate market works. Got it.
And "how" you want it. Those millennials are wanting houses just like mom and dad own now. 4000 sf, granite, stainless. No starter homes for them.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:31 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
Quote:
Those millennials are wanting houses just like mom and dad own now. 4000 sf, granite, stainless. No starter homes for them.
The market is building very few new homes historically, and the vast majority are not anything anyone would call a starter home, and mostly due to city regulations, not due to the whims of the 'market'.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:48 AM

957 posts, read 1,134,090 times
They say America is dealing better with the 2008 recession by printing a lot more money than us but when I see these prices in housing I think the other way

economy is labour, innovation, salaries and stuff not housing speculation, that's feudalism

I'm glad here housing prices since 2008 have halved (save a few expceptions)

Old 07-12-2016, 08:51 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
They say America is dealing better with the 2008 recession by printing a lot more money than us but when I see these prices in housing I think the other way

economy is labour, innovation, salaries and stuff not housing speculation, that's feudalism

I'm glad here housing prices since 2008 have halved (save a few expceptions)
I agree that the USA had less austere policies post crash and suffered less. Having monetary sovereignty made the process easier than most of Europe.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
All our kids own where they live in the tristate area.

They all found places that fit their income. The places range from upscale scarsdale in westchester ,one of the most expensive towns to live in the country . To howard beach queens a squarely middle to upper middle class area in nyc and then one in new jersey , an upper middle class neighborhood there

All 3 kids and spouses earn very different incomes and all found housing that fits their budgets
Out of curiosity, which three states are the tristate area?

Old 07-12-2016, 02:02 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
Don't forget the insurance industry always profits from astronomical home prices. When you owe $500k on your mortgage you have to spend a ton on life insurance because one income can't pay the bills if one spouse dies. My wife and I can forgo large life insurance policies because one person on unemployment could cover our $350 a month mortgage.

We have a Reverse Robin Hood system: take from the poor and give to the rich - in the form of bank fees, interest, bailouts for billionaires but not average Joe, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics