Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 04:04 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
How do you figure that? Anti-abortion => more children => glut of (no/low skill) workers?
Anti education in general, Anti sex Ed in particular, Anti effective FREE contraception.

For every one of the misbegotten conceptions that was terminated
at least another misbegotten conception wasn't.
STOP the conceptions!

Every other demographic group has SELF MODERATED their birthrates.
Why? Because they pay their own bills.

Quote:
Liberal policy has backfired, as it almost always does.
That's where you should be looking to place the blame.
Oh, there's plenty of problems to lay at their feet as well.
But this isn't one of them.

eta:
Some talking heads on the teevee yesterday were going on about how western NC
was going to lose another 30,000 current jobs to technology changes. This is on top
of the existing 100,000 jobs already lost. They went on and on about how awful it all
was but not once did they say anything about not breeding replacement workers for
jobs that will no longer exist.

This is the biggest problem we have today.
Those no/low skill jobs are NOT coming back.

Training that pool of surplus humanity doesn't help any either.
The higher skill job workers don't need the competition.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-29-2016 at 04:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 05:38 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Anti education in general, Anti sex Ed in particular, Anti effective FREE contraception.

For every one of the misbegotten conceptions that was terminated
at least another misbegotten conception wasn't.
STOP the conceptions!

Every other demographic group has SELF MODERATED their birthrates.
Why? Because they pay their own bills.

Oh, there's plenty of problems to lay at their feet as well.
But this isn't one of them.

eta:
Some talking heads on the teevee yesterday were going on about how western NC
was going to lose another 30,000 current jobs to technology changes. This is on top
of the existing 100,000 jobs already lost. They went on and on about how awful it all
was but not once did they say anything about not breeding replacement workers for
jobs that will no longer exist.

This is the biggest problem we have today.
Those no/low skill jobs are NOT coming back.

Training that pool of surplus humanity doesn't help any either.
The higher skill job workers don't need the competition.
So, only the "social conservatives" have a high birth rate, whereas all other groups including blue collar Hispanics and Blacks have "self-moderated"?

This is patently untrue; the birth rates among Blacks and Hispanics are very high. What's more, among the poor "ghetto" populations (not affluent Blacks and Hispanics) not only are families large, with girls starting to have children in their teen years, but those children are growing up in fatherless, drug infested and dysfunctional conditions with little attention given to education and job skills.

Among evangelicals there are many counter examples to your statements as well. The Mormons are high achievers, with many of their young people over represented in the professions and a strong business community. There are conservative regions where people have a strong work ethic and pay attention to their children.

I believe that our economy is screwed up, with few opportunities for young low skill workers, but that can change. Those jobs can come back. For example, the fracking boom created tens of thousands of blue collar jobs. Our government's response, supported by educated liberals, has been to attack the energy companies, not allow them to build pipelines, resist permits, sic the EPA on them, etc.

A bunch of NIMBY liberals in Massachusetts killed a huge windmill project in the harbor. There are many other examples.

If you want to understand why there are no jobs, go ask the people with the anti-fracking bumper stickers. Ask the people who support "free trade" which is just a euphemism for "move factories to Mexico and China".

Old 08-29-2016, 05:44 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ok wages haven't kept up you're right. But whose fault is that? Are you waiting for your company to give you the "yearly" raise or are you bettering yourself as a employee and going in and saying. Hey boss last year I got this that and the other credential/diploma/certification which allowed you to bid mire jobs use me on xyz job and nobody else has this certain in the company. You got xyz job because of my credentials. I need more money to stay. (Granted have a exit strategy )
Or say hey you know what? I can do this better, faster, stronger. I'm gonna go out and get my own thing going.

Let's face it, most employees just wait for that yearly raise and go about doing their job without bothering to do anything more. Why should a company pay more for doing the same job over and over?
If you're waiting for the boss to give you a raise YOU'RE being played homeboy.
There are a lot of things that plague us.
Your screen name betrays you, sir. You see, I happen to have family and friends that are in the same business as you. Let me ask you a question:

Have your wages kept pace with inflation?

Have your wages kept pace with the rising cost of health insurance?
Have your wages kept pace with the rising cost of housing?
Have your wages kept pace with the rising cost of college tuition?

If not, then you have clearly misdiagnosed the problem.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:52 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
A change. Not a reform. Not another patch to buy more time. Things are going too badly.

There is a new organization forming to discuss and address and organize on this subject. Let me quote a few lines from their intro:

"TIME TO FACE THE DEPTH OF THE SYSTEMIC CRISIS

Yes... another attempt to reform "the system".

Until people begin to realize that the "system" is the sum total of its parts - and the system is really nothing but the people who make up "the system" - then there will be no change. Ultimately, all economic systems are the same. The only difference between them is their relative amounts of freedom and regulation on the government side, and their relative amounts of individualism versus community spirit on the individual side.

All it takes to make the world a better place is for everyone to do their part. But that's such a big order. Easy to say, but...... so difficult to attain. How can we make each man and woman do their part without resorting to the same old usual societal tactics?

Hatred, envy, fear, jealousy, laziness, selfishness... all of these INDIVIDUAL shortcomings work to make the "system" a failure.

These people don't have an answer, because they aren't REALLY addressing the issue. They're just reinventing the band aid.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
So, only the "social conservatives" have a high birth rate...
Did not say that.

Their "social conservative" policies is the issue being discussed.
They encourage high birth rates by those LEAST able to do for themselves.
To date... I'll peg that surplus humanity at ~ 40MILLION.

Quote:
If you want to understand why there are no jobs...
There are PLENTY of jobs.
Virtually everything that needs doing is being done.

What we don't have... is a surplus of no/low skill work.
And what number of no/low skill jobs we do have ... gets lower every year.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Your screen name betrays you, sir. You see, I happen to have family and friends that are in the same business as you. Let me ask you a question:

Have your wages kept pace with inflation?

Have your wages kept pace with the rising cost of health insurance?
Have your wages kept pace with the rising cost of housing?
Have your wages kept pace with the rising cost of college tuition?

If not, then you have clearly misdiagnosed the problem.
Don't like your wages? You can sit around take what the boss gives you or you go and make yourself indispensable and walk in and demand more pay or you're moving on. Or you can go on your own.

My screen name has no bearing on my finances or my income.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:21 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
"You say you'll change the constitution
Well, you know
We all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well, you know
You'd better free your mind instead"

Old 09-02-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Don't like your wages? You can sit around take what the boss gives you or you go and make yourself indispensable and walk in and demand more pay or you're moving on. Or you can go on your own.

My screen name has no bearing on my finances or my income.
You didn't answer the questions.

Have your wages kept pace w/ the cost healthcare and health insurance?
Have your wages kept pace w/ the cost of college?
Have your wages kept pace w/ the cost of housing?

If not, your strategy is a red herring.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
You didn't answer the questions.

Have your wages kept pace w/ the cost healthcare and health insurance?
Have your wages kept pace w/ the cost of college?
Have your wages kept pace w/ the cost of housing?

If not, your strategy is a red herring.

Yes I have no issue paying my insurance.

Any courses I took/take I pay cash. I dont want student loans. I'm not looking for another degree.

And I just bought a new house. 2 months ago. And I didn't have to sell my old one to do it.

My strategy? My strategy seems to be working absolutely fine for my family
Like I said, you saw my screen name and assumed a lot. But what you assume my wages or income is based on my screen name are leading you in the wrong direction. I'm not in financial straights no matter how much you want to be right.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Yes I have no issue paying my insurance.

Any courses I took/take I pay cash. I dont want student loans. I'm not looking for another degree.

And I just bought a new house. 2 months ago. And I didn't have to sell my old one to do it.

My strategy? My strategy seems to be working absolutely fine for my family
Like I said, you saw my screen name and assumed a lot. But what you assume my wages or income is based on my screen name are leading you in the wrong direction. I'm not in financial straights no matter how much you want to be right.
That's the second time you've answered my question in a non responsive way. I never mentioned student loans. I asked if your wages, personally, have kept pace with the cost of college. It's not relevant whether you are looking for another degree or whether you want student loans; I didn't ask you that.

As to the house, I asked if your wages have kept pace with the cost of housing, not whether you bought a house or not.

Also, you ignored my question entirely concerning healthcare and health insurance costs.

As to your strategy, I don't think it's working out at all- that's my point. I think you, like just about everyone else, has suffered a relative collapse in wages. That much is very clear based on your unwillingness to answer 3 very simple questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics