Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 11:22 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Economy didn't recover, we just managed to double our national debt under Obama and with lunatics at the Fed. As Donald Trump said tonight......OUR ECONOMY IS DEAD!!!!!!!!! I have been telling you same thing here for months and months now, but most of you are living in DENIAL and can't accept the truth and reality.

We are lying to ourselves in order to not face the fact that we need higher rates, a stronger dollar - that will deconstruct the global economy, finally - and the destruction of the greatest debt bubble in the history of human community. Who has the courage to do this? Who has the courage to generate the Greatest Depression in the history of humanity? But it cannot be avoided. It is the only way out of our crisis. Just remember this what I'm telling you here. You will never seen real economic growth unless we go thru Deflation and Great Depression first. Until then, more lies, and low rates.
We've had economic growth.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:27 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
It is if you're born there. Plus weather everywhere else (even la) sucks.
I had to leave the two favorite places I ever lived in, Austin, TX and Boston, MA, for job reasons. I had a killer place in Austin... now an extremely desirable location. My Boston pad was also pretty sweet. Now I'm married which causes even more complication for going back.

Maybe I can go back to one or the other some day, but I have to live without it for now.

If you're dead set on that ONE place in the entire world, the only answer for you is to make more money. Unfortunately the Bay Area of California is not just one of the most over-heated housing markets in the USA, it's one of the most over-heated in the world. Up there with Tokyo, Hong Kong, Sydney etc... For whatever reason the Pacific coast of several continents have some of the world's most expensive real estate. Dollars from all over the world chase real estate in those areas, which is why it's so high.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:39 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
We've had economic growth.
No we didn't, that is a lie and illusion for the masses. Our economy has been dead since 2001 and all we managed to grow since 2001 and especially since 2008 is DEBT. That's right, in attempting to 'extend the Busienss Cycle' - which in my calculations ended in 2001 - the Fed has led us to expand debt but not organic and real growth. You people need to wake up and understand this.

What the FED is involved in is a grand experiement that might just destroy civilization. I'm sure that was not their intent. Their intent (am I being too generous) was to find a way in our BOOM-BUST economy to enhance the BOOM and eliminate the BUST. My view is that this is not possible - that the BUST is REQUIRED in the same way that Growth in Nature also requires a Rest, a Gestation, or a Germination season of non-Growth - that we can't have growth constantly.

The FED has risked global civilization because it has concluded that the world cannot endure another Great Depression like the 1930's. But the world DID endure the 1930s. Economic Winter is built in to the BOOM-BUST cycle. The FED wanted to save us all from pain, despair, depression. My belief is that they have guaraanteed an even more apocalyptic holocaust by refusing to accept the law of nature. The FED wants only light and goodness, only wealth and smiling gentle civilization. But our world is not made that way. Our world is made with two sides. And ignoring one side in favor of the other is a form of psychological denial.

If the FED is right, then we will never again have to have BOOM-BUST. We will ever-more have BOOM-BOOM - and all the debt we have taken on this time will...what? Vanish? Vanish in what way? You are asking me to believe that the global economy will grow so much during the next Business Cycle that we will simply pay off our debt with all the extra profits and increased income? Inflation will save us from debt?

My view is that only deflation can save us from debt - but it is a painful salvation. As long as we have leaders that are unwilling to tell us the truth because it looks like bad news, then we will never have leaders. Instead we will have sycophants riding along for the "professional benefits".

Old 10-10-2016, 01:07 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The Bay Area's nice in certain ways I suppose, but is it THAT great? There do exist temperate climates in other parts of the country.
There are other places with nice climates, but not with nice climates and zillions of six-figure jobs.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:10 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
i dont know where u live, but where i live 1,000 sq feet is considered huge! and would run close to $1m dollars.

I dont think people spend as much as you make it out to seem on fast food, clothes and appliances either. cutting all that stuff out is going to make a difference if median salaries are around 60k and the average house is almost a million.
Only in Manhattan and SF is 1000 square feet considered a large apartment. It's not a big single family house anywhere in the U.S. Where do you live?

Old 10-10-2016, 02:37 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We are much better off, on average, than in 1955.

GDP/capita is double.
Food costs less.
Electronics cost less.
Cars last way longer.
Polio is gone. Smallpox is gone. Measles are gone.
Small pox/measles aren't gone or if they are, then why are we still innoculating for them?

Old 10-10-2016, 03:24 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
No we didn't, that is a lie and illusion for the masses. Our economy has been dead since 2001 and all we managed to grow since 2001 and especially since 2008 is DEBT. That's right, in attempting to 'extend the Busienss Cycle' - which in my calculations ended in 2001 - the Fed has led us to expand debt but not organic and real growth. You people need to wake up and understand this.

What the FED is involved in is a grand experiement that might just destroy civilization. I'm sure that was not their intent. Their intent (am I being too generous) was to find a way in our BOOM-BUST economy to enhance the BOOM and eliminate the BUST. My view is that this is not possible - that the BUST is REQUIRED in the same way that Growth in Nature also requires a Rest, a Gestation, or a Germination season of non-Growth - that we can't have growth constantly.

The FED has risked global civilization because it has concluded that the world cannot endure another Great Depression like the 1930's. But the world DID endure the 1930s. Economic Winter is built in to the BOOM-BUST cycle. The FED wanted to save us all from pain, despair, depression. My belief is that they have guaraanteed an even more apocalyptic holocaust by refusing to accept the law of nature. The FED wants only light and goodness, only wealth and smiling gentle civilization. But our world is not made that way. Our world is made with two sides. And ignoring one side in favor of the other is a form of psychological denial.

If the FED is right, then we will never again have to have BOOM-BUST. We will ever-more have BOOM-BOOM - and all the debt we have taken on this time will...what? Vanish? Vanish in what way? You are asking me to believe that the global economy will grow so much during the next Business Cycle that we will simply pay off our debt with all the extra profits and increased income? Inflation will save us from debt?

My view is that only deflation can save us from debt - but it is a painful salvation. As long as we have leaders that are unwilling to tell us the truth because it looks like bad news, then we will never have leaders. Instead we will have sycophants riding along for the "professional benefits".
not supposed to tell the truth. what are you doing...

Old 10-10-2016, 04:10 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
No ..... he's beating a dead horse, failing to recognize that most advances, both technological and entrepreneurail, arose from the efforts of individuals; few made it very far, but those who did (Gates, Bezos and Brin/Page, for example, did so with the help of a structure that permitted organization of their ideas on a wider scale -- and the fruits of those efforts will, for the most part, eventually wind up under the control of non-profit financial institutions.

Even if we succumb to the belief that unions can benefit people of average means (and I strongly doubt this argument -- the most successful unions benefit workers who are trusted with the control of larger accumulations of capital, and actually have skills to "sell") the benefits accrue mostly to the fortunate few of lesser skills in nations with a better-developed societal "safety" net. or those favored by temporary distortions in the global economic balance. Case in point; U S and Canada after World War II.

Over the long run, such advantages will always be competed away.
You're still in outer space.

We're not talking about which industrial model is best for fostering technological creativity and advancement, but rather the fair (or not) distribution of riches that come from the production of all goods and services.

Again, slyfox2 was correct. The 5-day work week grew from the efforts of organized labor in the latter part of the 19th century.

It's past time to tell it like it is about the globalism you seem to be so enamored of. Globalism is nothing short of economic treason and globalists are enemies of the state. As we speak globalism is destroying the foundation of this once great nation and the best living standard the world has ever known. The myopia of the globalist is boundless, as he fires one cannon ball after another though the hull of his vessel in his misguided effort to save weight.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:19 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You need to think less about the housing market and more about why you are so unhappy. You are young, reasonably healthy, have a roof over your head, clothes on your back, enough to eat, are gainfully employed, and live in a beautiful part of the world where there are plenty of interesting things to see and do. I strongly suspect that even if you did buy a house, you'd just move from being an unhappy tenant to an unhappy home owner. External things can't repair what is fundamentally an internal problem. Get some counseling. You need it.
This is very true. There is no external thing that provides continual happiness.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:23 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
There are other places with nice climates, but not with nice climates and zillions of six-figure jobs.
This. Eureka ca and crescent city have the same weather but no jobs because people are too dumb to scroll up in google maps and so they haven't discovered them yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics