Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 06:48 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,022,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
It's semantics.
No, it's not at all. Internet hooey about the sweet deal that welfare recipients have is a load of tripe. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 07:00 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I never said Luxury... only Relative.

A lot of new construction in the Bay Area requires a set aside for low-income.

It is not unusual for someone on Section 8 to be living in a half million dollar home... I personally know of more valuable homes with Section 8 that are 50% higher... and that would be $750k

I agree, a 750K home is not luxury in the SF Bay Area... but is a very long way from being impoverished and destitute.

If you cross the bridge to San Francisco the home value could be a million dollar home.

Where else in the entire world are those living on public assistance living in a million dollar home?
Yeah but really that "million dollar home" is worth 100k adjusted for inflation.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
How would they know? The way they have always known. The numbers are based a survey with a very large sample base. As with any survey the numbers could be off in any one month, but overall its likely fairly accurate at showing the trends. Clearly they are not surveying everyone. Look at the effort that is required to perform the census every 10 years.
"Always" in this case means since 1940 when the first household surveys to estimate unemployment were done. New technology and expanding academic interests have fueled survey changes over the years, but the actual unemployment number (U-3) is still the same number it was at the beginning. The surveys today are done monthly during whichever week the 12th of the month falls in. More than 60,000 households are involved. They are carefully selected so as to comprise a representative sample both by region (there are about 2,000 of those) and nationally. Once included, a household spends four months in the survey. It then drops out, but returns for the same four months in the following year before dropping out for good.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:30 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
No, it's not at all. Internet hooey about the sweet deal that welfare recipients have is a load of tripe. End of story.
America is a generous country and California Bay Area cities even more so...

A Section 8 certificate is a gateway to hundreds of programs... including reduced utility rates, childcare, healthcare, food, to summer teenage job experience programs...

Anyone that denies this either does not want to face the reality or chooses to be uninformed.

A little boy I know was born premature with a heart defect... his 31 year old Grandmother holds a housing voucher... she was 31 when he was born.

Over the last 7 years that child has received over a million dollars of care at Stanford at zero cost to the family... not a single penny and it looks like he will go on to live a full and active life.

The family is also housed at no cost at the Ronald McDonald House...

I realize the facts can be hard for some to accept.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Yeah but really that "million dollar home" is worth 100k adjusted for inflation.
What would your income be adjusted for inflation? Having $1 when a coke costs a quarter is the same thing as having $2 when a coke costs 50 cents. People who think they are better off in either the $1 or the $2 situation are simply detouring around rationality.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
America is a generous country and California Bay Area cities even more so...
Value statements do not make valid what was invalid to start out with.

Quote:
Anyone that denies this either does not want to face the reality or chooses to be uninformed.
That's a thankfully uncharacteristic sort of statement to see from a Moderator.

Quote:
A little boy I know...
Anecdotes are not data.

Quote:
I realize the facts can be hard for some to accept.
See the second above.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
What would your income be adjusted for inflation? Having $1 when a coke costs a quarter is the same thing as having $2 when a coke costs 50 cents. People who think they are better off in either the $1 or the $2 situation are simply detouring around rationality.
I would make 6000 or so adjusted for inflation in 1959 so I could buy the house when it was 10000 very easily

Old 11-16-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I would make 6000 or so adjusted for inflation in 1959 so I could buy the house when it was 10000 very easily
So by adding the two zeroes needed to get the 10,000 up to 1,000,000, we can estimate your income today to be in the $600,000 range?

Old 11-16-2016, 08:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Value statements do not make valid what was invalid to start out with.

That's a thankfully uncharacteristic sort of statement to see from a Moderator.

Anecdotes are not data.

See the second above.

It is doubtful we we will ever agree... at least it appears to be the case.

America is generous or better yet the voters are.

Just look at the polling results for California... almost across the board increased spending with most passing by large margins...

The facts are facts...

It might not matter to some that a little boy's life was saved with the best medical technology in the world... but it matters to me...

Old 11-16-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
So by adding the two zeroes needed to get the 10,000 up to 1,000,000, we can estimate your income today to be in the $600,000 range?
Nope because Bay Area housing outperforms inflation/it's inherit value
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics