Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:06 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,868,644 times

Advertisements

The Intangible S&P 500 ...Our Politicians Can't Handle The Truth - Howard Lindzon

I think it is amazing how intangible the economy is. How of much of it is based on services as opposed to goods.

Interesting, thing is that other then health care that most of these "services" it is easy to go without.

Goods though are different thing as basically all the population has to have solid goods like agriculture, metals, wood and petroleum based products.

I find very interesting for instance that Facebook has 10 times the market value of Kroger or that Microsoft has twice the market cap of Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 01:12 PM

771 posts, read 1,460,240 times
So I suppose its better to go back to the 18th century, no?

This is the result of the United States transitioning from a manufacturing economy to a service economy. Add to that technological advances.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:56 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,583,898 times
Despite what you hear from the "bring back our factory jobs" crowd a service based economy isn't in itself a bad thing.

If you look at a list of countries by GDP sector the ones with highest percentage service based are generally wealthier developed countries with a relatively high standard of living, with notable exception of a few Caribbean countries with outsized financial sectors. Sorting by countries with higher percentage industrial you get mostly poorer countries with a lower standard of living, again with exception of some wealthy middle eastern oil states and a few others like South Korea.

Walmart sells tangible things but it comes down mostly to workers doing basic things and providing simple services. Put on shelf. Drive truck to store. Exchange money with customer. Etc. The fact that physical goods are changing hands in transactions doesn't mean they should be valued higher than an entity like Google.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:24 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
The Intangible S&P 500 ...Our Politicians Can't Handle The Truth - Howard Lindzon

I think it is amazing how intangible the economy is. How of much of it is based on services as opposed to goods.

Interesting, thing is that other then health care that most of these "services" it is easy to go without.

Goods though are different thing as basically all the population has to have solid goods like agriculture, metals, wood and petroleum based products.

I find very interesting for instance that Facebook has 10 times the market value of Kroger or that Microsoft has twice the market cap of Walmart.
That buttresses the fact that you're in an advanced 4th Level Economy and no one really knows what's supposed to happen.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:55 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,022,611 times
What does the term "supposed to happen" even mean?

Old 12-18-2016, 10:23 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,797,563 times
I don't know how to value these new companies either. The goodwill comes from paying more for an acquisition than it's book value. Intellectual property, patents, trademarks, etc. are booked at cost, I guess. I wonder how many of these assets translate into earnings power. Many of these companies don't pay dividends, saying the earnings have to reinvested in the business. If so, they're not really earnings and the earning power of the company's assets is not what it appears to be.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:04 AM

245 posts, read 311,653 times
My portfolio is a balance of tech giants and manufacturing/food companies. You need to invest in some companies that will "own" a piece of the future. Stay away from retail and service sector long term. Those don't actually control anything of their own. Amazon, etc. will eventually eat their lunch.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:16 AM

245 posts, read 311,653 times
In theory, we will one day move to a "UBI" (Universal Basic Income) system. Basically welfare-for-all. Because of automation and outsourcing, the majority of the American population will be unemployed. Only a few percent of people will need to design and maintain the machines. Most physical labor and driving jobs will be phased out in one generation from now. But our economic system isn't ready for that jump yet. If you jack up taxes fast enough to support that, people will freak out. I don't know how we peacefully make that transition.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:45 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,022,611 times
People have a terrible record when attempting to divine the future. The best bet is simply to pay attention and remain flexible.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:31 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
You don't win wars with burgers and fries. You win wars with weapons of war. These are manufactured in factories, not McDonalds. This is where "service sector economies" fall short. I would take it a step further and suggest "service sector economies" are flawed and doomed to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics