Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:19 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,001,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I came across an interesting article that argues that although 401Ks have their faults, they are superior to pensions.

Here are some of the main points.

-401Ks have less fees than pensions do

-At the height of pensions only 38% of people had one and most of that was in the top half of income earners, whereas 61% today have a 401K

-Pensions had more rigid vesting rules, often times 15 years

-Companies that went out of business often meant that one lost their pension

-401K money is more portable and can under certain situations be rolled over into an IRA or annuity

-Many pensions are set up in a manner that makes them hard to sustain payments without draining the company of resources

What do you all think?

The 401(k) Revolution Was a Victory for Retirement Savers | RealClearMarkets

The main points ............#4

What good is a pension if you retire/near retire and the pension fund goes dry ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 09:25 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
When I retire I will have 2 tiny pensions from past employers so the bulk of my retirement will be 401k.

I think that people that are older with pensions have smallish 401k's so you might not have the same perspective that someone who has been putting money into it with a match since they were 22.

*shrug* a 50k/year pension is great but a >1mil 401k balance can produce the same income.
Plus your heirs will get them if you don't deplete them, with pension heirs get nothing.
You can even use your 401k to create your own pension like buy immediate annuities. More flexible. But people who are not comfortable with financial tools prefer pension. Simpler.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:29 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
look at the article title...for retirement savers

ask how many people actually save and save adequately... that's why they don't like 401k, they don't want to save on their own

it really doesn't matter for any other reasons, them saying they don't get paid enough, etc. even making $100kk, 200k, 500k, people can always spend more than they make.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
*shrug* a 50k/year pension is great but a >1mil 401k balance can produce the same income.
How many people have the income to self fund a million dollar 401k? With a defined benefit pension both the employer and the employee contribute allowing lower income people to retire with a guaranteed benefit. There are very few lower income people who could self fund a 401k to the extent that it would replace a defined benefit pension. As a result they will probably end up relying on taxpayer provide social programs to augment a meager Social Security check.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How many people have the income to self fund a million dollar 401k? With a defined benefit pension both the employer and the employee contribute allowing lower income people to retire with a guaranteed benefit. There are very few lower income people who could self fund a 401k to the extent that it would replace a defined benefit pension. As a result they will probably end up relying on taxpayer provide social programs to augment a meager Social Security check.
401k also get employer match

what low income person is getting a $50k/year pension? pensions today are a % of the salary... a low income person would have a low pension $

Old 01-18-2017, 10:07 AM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most employers have a 401k match and thus also contribute.

In the example provided with a 50k pension the retirement level income would have to typically be around 75k near the end of employment. (Talking typical, not any of the rare politically devised "super pensions")

Starting salary 30k at age 22, put in 6% + 6% employer match.
Salary goes up 2.5% a year, long term stock return 401k at 7.5%
Age 60 salary is 76k and you have about 1mil in your 401k.

We could quibble about assumptions but someone at a wage level that would garner a 50k pension should be able to amass 1mil in their 401k through steady investment by around the same age that they could start drawing their db pension.

As for "lower income people" I'd be happy to discuss an actual example with you but I'm generally talking about people working at a level where they'd historically have been provided a db pension.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 AM

462 posts, read 550,598 times
A good pension is better than a 401k, a bad one is not. The best plan would be what Australia has- a superannuation plan. The employer puts in 9% and you can add to it but you get that 9% automatically. You control the investments.

A 401k with a full match can be better than a pension in cases where you are really knowledgeable about investing. However few people are, and since the plan is optional most people either don't put in or don't put in enough then they get screwed when retirement comes around.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
A good pension is better than a 401k, a bad one is not. The best plan would be what Australia has- a superannuation plan. The employer puts in 9% and you can add to it but you get that 9% automatically. You control the investments.
if you control it, how is it not a 401k with 9% employer contribution?

A 401k with a full match can be better than a pension in cases where you are really knowledgeable about investing. However few people are, and since the plan is optional most people either don't put in or don't put in enough then they get screwed when retirement comes around.
most people use a target date fund if they aren't knowledgeable... it's the people who think they can do better on their own that go picking and choosing
see red

Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 AM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Plus your heirs will get them if you don't deplete them, with pension heirs get nothing.
You can even use your 401k to create your own pension like buy immediate annuities. More flexible. But people who are not comfortable with financial tools prefer pension. Simpler.
Yep, I am at the somewhat extreme end of 401k savings due to a number of factors and I'm on pace to have maybe income replacement, inflation indexed and never touch my 401k principal.

As for pensions, if they are a government pension in a place where you can't really get laid off around age 50 then that's a completely different animal than say having a pension at a private company where it can run into funding issues or you can get laid off 30 years into your career when the calculation is really starting to benefit you.

I've just personally seen so many people IRL get utterly hosed by their pensions that I'd rather not take that risk.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:28 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,001,508 times
Quote:
Most employers have a 401k match and thus also contribute.

In the example provided with a 50k pension the retirement level income would have to typically be around 75k near the end of employment. (Talking typical, not any of the rare politically devised "super pensions")

Starting salary 30k at age 22, put in 6% + 6% employer match.
Salary goes up 2.5% a year, long term stock return 401k at 7.5%
Age 60 salary is 76k and you have about 1mil in your 401k.

We could quibble about assumptions but someone at a wage level that would garner a 50k pension should be able to amass 1mil in their 401k through steady investment by around the same age that they could start drawing their db pension.

As for "lower income people" I'd be happy to discuss an actual example with you but I'm generally talking about people working at a level where they'd historically have been provided a db pension.
There are many retired people who never saw a 6% match of 100%

The places that did match matched only 50% of your 6% and every time profits for the company slowed, suspended the match entirely for awhile.

I'm quite sure I am not the only retired person who never saw close to a 100% match of the 6%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics