Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 08:54 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,020,173 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry that some of you are so delicate and easily bruised. Your petty squabbles have still been of no apparent purpose in a forum about Economics. You all are in the wrong place and simply not what you think you are.

In a ranking of US counties by median household income, seven of the top twelve entries are suburbs of Washington, DC. Three are in New Jersey, one is in New York, and one is in Colorado. None are on the "west coast". Only Marin and Santa Clara counties manage to rank in the top 25.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:48 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Again, it's the volumes of pained, self-absorbed, "all about us" posts that have been splayed out here. The West Coast is not the center of the universe. You all as a group are not especially important or even interesting. Thinking that anyone else would or should actually be interested in your little local plights and dramas is the problem that I'm pointing out here. There are locality and topical forums and subforums that were created especially for you, so I ask again, why are you hanging your laundry out to dry over here instead?
So which mod died and made you the City-Data post in wrong location police? Are you going to write us wrong section posting tickets? You got some serious OCD going on if posting in the "wrong" forum gets you this worked up. Get a life. It's a PUBLIC forum not the Perfection you must live in.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:13 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
So when tech companies succeed and grow, it is a "tech bubble". How ridiculous.
The big tech corporates are well established.

But the zillions of startups backed by venture capitals have not really succeeded yet. Eventually only a handful will survive.

When investors believe the market is a saturated, they won't give money to startups, the party is over.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The big tech corporates are well established.

But the zillions of startups backed by venture capitals have not really succeeded yet. Eventually only a handful will survive.

When investors believe the market is a saturated, they won't give money to startups, the party is over.
That's why it's called a investment. I remember a while back investing in this company Carbon Motors . Wasn't a ton of money but if it took off it could bring some great returns. They were going to build specific police vehicles. Thing went down in flames. No different than investing in a tech co.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:51 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
I'm sorry that some of you are so delicate and easily bruised. Your petty squabbles have still been of no apparent purpose in a forum about Economics. You all are in the wrong place and simply not what you think you are.

In a ranking of US counties by median household income, seven of the top twelve entries are suburbs of Washington, DC. Three are in New Jersey, one is in New York, and one is in Colorado. None are on the "west coast". Only Marin and Santa Clara counties manage to rank in the top 25.
Pretty much meaningless stats since counties in California are much larger in area than in the northeast.

Los Angeles County is about half the size of the entire state of New Jersey. Roughly 4,700 square miles compared to 8,700 square miles.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:58 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
I live on the East Coast, but I think it is silly to downplay the importance of what happens on the West Coast. In many regards the West has been the trend setters. The growth of the tech and other West Coast industries has a powerful effect on the rest of the country.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I live on the East Coast, but I think it is silly to downplay the importance of what happens on the West Coast. In many regards the West has been the trend setters. The growth of the tech and other West Coast industries has a powerful effect on the rest of the country.
People just don't like to hear that.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Pretty much meaningless stats since counties in California are much larger in area than in the northeast. Los Angeles County is about half the size of the entire state of New Jersey. Roughly 4,700 square miles compared to 8,700 square miles.
The population of Fairfax County outside Washington DC is larger than that of eight states. It still ranks second in median household income. There six more counties in that area that outpace anything on the West Coast. The facts remain that some posters here are simply obsessed with the West Coast, and that navel-contemplating discussion of local West Coast problems does not properly belong in a forum about Economics.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I live on the East Coast, but I think it is silly to downplay the importance of what happens on the West Coast.
It's blatant excess in the other direction that is the problem.

Quote:
In many regards the West has been the trend setters.
Right out of a Corn Flakes box.

Quote:
The growth of the tech and other West Coast industries has a powerful effect on the rest of the country.
The most basic sort of research would confirm that in the real world, the tech sector is spread all across the country and well beyond. It's just more "look at us" vanity that suggests any sort of geographic exclusivity.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
People just don't like to hear that.
Mostly, the people who have their BS-Detectors turned on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics