Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:07 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

I think it is mostly the media.

Our investments have not been effected yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 10:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I don't think there is any investment that hasn't been affected by this banking/credit crisis.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:08 AM

116 posts, read 436,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I think it is mostly the media.

Our investments have not been effected yet.
You must have some unusual investments. My portfolio, which is mostly conservative index funds mirroring the entire US Stock Market, is down 25% from its peak just a few months ago, that is a lot of money!

Last edited by politically_correct; 03-15-2008 at 05:41 AM..

Old 03-15-2008, 05:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
just pray OPEC does not go to British based currency for oil prices--we are really screwed if that happens--would see $6-8 a gallon for gas in a heartbeat...
I am honestly surprised that they have not gone to the Euro. It would make sense for them to do so. I guess that the close relationship between the Saudis and the Bush family is paying off. That is the only reason I can think they they stay with the US dollar.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't think there is any investment that hasn't been affected by this banking/credit crisis.
Not yet, it may eventually effect all vehicles, but not yet.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
You must have some unusual investments. My portfolio, which is mostly conservative index funds mirroring the entire US Stock Market, is down 25% from its peak just a few months ago, that is a lot of money!
Folks need housing.

Most Americans would rather rent than to own their home.

As our population grows. so does the base of renters grow.

Folks who signed ARM mortgages took a risk, and many of them now have lost their homes. Which makes them renters.

Do you see any theme here?

Not all investment vehicles have been effected by this bubble, only the riskier ones.

My equity grows.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:01 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
If you Google Recession or Economic Slow Down you will get thousands of hits. It seems like everyone who wants to get on TV will spread their doom and gloom stories and tell us we are heading into a deep economic hole. Of course someone who would tell us things are doing great would not get on TV because it would be not very interesting. That being said I hear from many people in the business community that things have really fallen very fast in the last few months. They say the perfect economic storm has hit with huge real estate, energy, inflation and credit problems strangling our economy and we will soon go into a deep economic recession with problems more severe than the Reagan Recession in the early 1980s.Have you seen signs of a slowing economy in your hometown or business? How bad will it get?
It will get bad across the board though I think not every area will be hit as bad as others. For instance, I am in Florida right now and things are going VERY bad. I have visited Nashville and while things are slowing down it is not bad as Florida. On the flip side of it, we are just in the beginning stages of this entire mess so it could be that Florida is just a sign of whats to come across the board.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Folks need housing.

Most Americans would rather rent than to own their home.

As our population grows. so does the base of renters grow.

Folks who signed ARM mortgages took a risk, and many of them now have lost their homes. Which makes them renters.

Do you see any theme here?

Not all investment vehicles have been effected by this bubble, only the riskier ones.

My equity grows.
Can you link to the information where "Most Americans prefer to rent" is? I'd like to see what percentage that is, compared to those who want to own a home.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:50 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am honestly surprised that they have not gone to the Euro. It would make sense for them to do so. I guess that the close relationship between the Saudis and the Bush family is paying off. That is the only reason I can think they they stay with the US dollar.
The Brits are a funny breed of cat; apparently, they do not wish to have their economy tied that closely to continental Europe for historical reasons.

Yet; Ireland, OTOH does use the Euro.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:52 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
As for the looming recession; I suspect it will financially ruin a significant number of 'Yuppies' this time around---------the 'worker bees' have already been eviscerated en masse in the last 25+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics