Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 02:37 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone into Whole Foods this week and noticed a price difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 03:01 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Has anyone gone into Whole Foods this week and noticed a price difference?
Went there before the price cuts last Friday. Am due to go back soon for my weekly voyage and will see. On average, spend anywhere from $70 - 120 per trip. Last week spent about $67, but only needed select items.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Point is most things weren't *that* expensive to begin with. People are *now* going to start shopping there because of these price cuts? I don't buy it. If people had commonsense to begin with and knew how to shop, would know that they didn't have to wait for Amazon to slash prices to start shopping there because there were already good prices to be had.
Yes, because Amazon will be marketing those price cuts. Amazon has done this in other industries and it worked out well, and it will work out well in this case too. Those price cuts are all over the news,and Amazon Prime members are excited at the prospect of even DEEPER price cuts.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:43 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
For those with an account, take a look at what's going on in Prime Pantry. Basically, this is a large part of the end game. Whole Foods is about to get some crazy economies of scale.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
For those with an account, take a look at what's going on in Prime Pantry. Basically, this is a large part of the end game. Whole Foods is about to get some crazy economies of scale.
Oh I dunno. Just checked my Amazon account and saw some savings on *some* items. Many items I purchase are the *same* price. Am not sure what the hype is.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:19 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Oh I dunno. Just checked my Amazon account and saw some savings on *some* items. Many items I purchase are the *same* price. Am not sure what the hype is.
I think maybe you don't understand it because you aren't really reading what's being written, but are manufacturing some alternate version of what other people are writing and interjecting what you imagine is being said.

I'm citing the rollout to Prime Pantry right now as where they're taking things--they're grabbing the 365 line to compete as part of its Prime Pantry package and they are going to push it so they can corner a larger part of each of these consumer goods directly. They can do this now and use the Whole Foods stores as almost a loss leader for things to try and meanwhile achieve large economies of scale by having this pushed as a large component of Prime Pantry which can then even further drive down the prices both in store and online.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Yes. Amazon said they would start out with immediate savings on SOME items on Monday, with many more to follow. They bought Whole Foods to bolster their own developing grocery business. The same way Amazon has bought and incorporated other companies into their operations. Amazon does not aim at an exclusive crowd, instead they aim at the masses.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I think maybe you don't understand it because you aren't really reading what's being written, but are manufacturing some alternate version of what other people are writing and interjecting what you imagine is being said.

I'm citing the rollout to Prime Pantry right now as where they're taking things--they're grabbing the 365 line to compete as part of its Prime Pantry package and they are going to push it so they can corner a larger part of each of these consumer goods directly. They can do this now and use the Whole Foods stores as almost a loss leader for things to try and meanwhile achieve large economies of scale by having this pushed as a large component of Prime Pantry which can then even further drive down the prices both in store and online.
He can no longer claim elite stats by paying higher prices at Whole Foods, and that is devastating. That's really all this is.

He was in denial that ANY prices would drop and now that they are dropping, he's the type of person who has great difficulty in admitting he is WRONG.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Understand very well. Am still waiting for the *instant* savings. $1.20 savings out of everything I buy from there. Big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes. Amazon said they would start out with immediate savings on SOME items on Monday, with many more to follow. They bought Whole Foods to bolster their own developing grocery business. The same way Amazon has bought and incorporated other companies into their operations. Amazon does not aim at an exclusive crowd, instead they aim at the masses.
Am here to tell you, I said the *same* thing. Am still waiting for the many more to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He can no longer claim elite stats by paying higher prices at Whole Foods, and that is devastating. That's really all this is.

He was in denial that ANY prices would drop and now that they are dropping, he's the type of person who has great difficulty in admitting he is WRONG.
Am not wrong about a thing. Prices were dropped on *some* items. Big deal.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:33 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Don't worry, the price drops are simply marketing. Once they grab the market share and squash the competition, they'll pump those prices right back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics