Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 12:41 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,322,713 times

Advertisements

My local credit union pays 2.12% on checking accounts up to $10,000, direct deposit is required though. My husband and I each have an account with them and with Ally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 12:55 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,772,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My local credit union pays 2.12% on checking accounts up to $10,000, direct deposit is required though. My husband and I each have an account with them and with Ally.
As much as most people do most banking "remotely" even with a branch nearby, I've never been convinced that the drawbacks of a bank with no local/physical premises are worth a percent or so on CDs etc. (and not much else). If you have the usual modest amount in CD-type investments, it's unlikely to mean more than $100 or so a year in returns, and if you have more, there are better places to park $50-500k.

My credit union pays 2.2% on checking with fairly generous terms, which is well into the ballpark of the online bank MM and CD accounts. And I do find I need counter services once a month or so. And no longer care for the hassle of multiple banks (for personal, business, loans, investments etc.)

Old 03-26-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
As much as most people do most banking "remotely" even with a branch nearby, I've never been convinced that the drawbacks of a bank with no local/physical premises are worth a percent or so on CDs etc. (and not much else). If you have the usual modest amount in CD-type investments, it's unlikely to mean more than $100 or so a year in returns, and if you have more, there are better places to park $50-500k.

My credit union pays 2.2% on checking with fairly generous terms, which is well into the ballpark of the online bank MM and CD accounts. And I do find I need counter services once a month or so. And no longer care for the hassle of multiple banks (for personal, business, loans, investments etc.)
I agree, we also get 100% refund on ATM fees

Old 03-27-2018, 05:38 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,215,835 times
If the washer in your laundromat fails, and you lose $1.25 in it, and phone the 800 number, they will mail you a paper check for 1.25. Good luck cashing it if you don't have a walkin bank. Also, it's nice to have a walkin bank if you want to travedl abroad and want some fresh crisp $100 bills. Walkin banks also have free notary service for their customers.

Absolutely maintain a local account at a bank you can conveniently walk into. There may be things that an online bank can do more favorably for you, but it's just an extra option. But there will be a couple times a year you'll wish you had a walkin bank.

Just about every walkin bank has free checking for seniors. If you're not a senior, find a senior you can trust that you can be a joiner with, and keep a few bucks in the account..

Old 03-27-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
If the washer in your laundromat fails, and you lose $1.25 in it, and phone the 800 number, they will mail you a paper check for 1.25. Good luck cashing it if you don't have a walkin bank. Also, it's nice to have a walkin bank if you want to travedl abroad and want some fresh crisp $100 bills. Walkin banks also have free notary service for their customers.

Absolutely maintain a local account at a bank you can conveniently walk into. There may be things that an online bank can do more favorably for you, but it's just an extra option. But there will be a couple times a year you'll wish you had a walkin bank.

Just about every walkin bank has free checking for seniors. If you're not a senior, find a senior you can trust that you can be a joiner with, and keep a few bucks in the account..
Most banks have mobile deposits. As long as you have a smartphone it's much easier than going to the bank even if it's a few blocks away. Open the app, click on deposit, enter the amount of the check and take a picture of the front and back of the check with your phone's camera. While I can't get $100 bills from a bank without a local presence I can get as much as I want out of the ATM, if I need more than $400 I call the bank and they raise the limit for the day.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There may be things that an online bank can do more favorably for you...
Like what?

AFAICT, the sole advantage of internet banks is that they pay about 1% more on CDs and such... and that much more than mainstream banks, but very little more than CUs and smaller, competitive banks. Plus they once had slightly more advanced online features, but nearly all banks have those now.

Was there another advantage?

Old 03-27-2018, 09:16 AM

203 posts, read 253,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
what about american express they are offering currently 1.75% rate ?

what is the difference between a high yield saving account vs money market account ?

is there a risk of losing your investment in the money market account ? or is it FDIC insured

American Express offering 1.75% on savings or CD?

I only found 1.45% on their High Yield Savings a/c.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:52 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,553,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

where are the better places? (honest question)

Old 03-27-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
where are the better places? (honest question)
Any local bank with appropriate services for your customer level. Credit unions tend to top the list unless you're a heavy commercial user, and even then sometimes.

If you keep significant amounts of money in a bank, most accounts and many services are free, and there are bonus percentages on savings (+) and loans (-). If you're a smaller customer or tend to run your accounts dry, CUs are again probably your best choice.

Most people who complain about a bank have chosen the wrong one - they are NOT the same and do not target the same customer base. If your bank doesn't offer enough, you've probably stayed with a "free" or low-tier one too long; if you feel like you're paying a fortune to have an ATM card, you're with one too high-tier for you.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:57 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,215,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most banks have mobile deposits. As long as you have a smartphone it's much easier than going to the bank even if it's a few blocks away. Open the app, click on deposit, enter the amount of the check and take a picture of the front and back of the check with your phone's camera. While I can't get $100 bills from a bank without a local presence I can get as much as I want out of the ATM, if I need more than $400 I call the bank and they raise the limit for the day.
You have an ATM that gives $100 bills? When I travel, I carry about $2,000 in cash, and a hundred bills won't fit in my moneybelt. And money exchanges often refuse to accept worn bills or those with early series dates. I go to my bank and ask for crisp new hundreds, and they go through their stack and pick them out for me.

If having a smartphone is a prerequisite to having an online bank account, I'm disqualified. Even some walkin banks, I'm not eligible for online banking, because if they ever decide I have to reset my password, I have no mobile number they can text a security code to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics