Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,706,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
hoping Kansas city, as a local and because it would be near the center of the US for transportation. they have warehouses here already

Kansas city southern railroad is a "nafta" rail line, connecting canada to the pamana cannel, north to south

the highway system here also places the city two days drive time to over 80% of the US

plus its cheaper than the other locations
No city in the middle of the continent is a transportation hub. Seattle was perfect because of the deep water port. They'll go to the other coast for the same transportation benefit to Europe. Boston would be my guess, for liveability, access to workers, and deep water shipping.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:39 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,602,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I think options were Boston, Philly, Austin, Chicago, Ontario.. my guess is Boston or Austin.

My recommendation is Key West.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:04 PM

9,892 posts, read 7,238,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Wow, that sounds like a really nice opportunity. Is enough of it zoned commercial that Amazon could use it? I read that Boston's mayor wasn't too interested in soliciting Amazon.
As I noted, it's a horse track (Suffolk Downs) that is closing in 2018. The new owner/developer is planning a mixed use project but I'm sure would be willing to work with Amazon. And it's 160 acres.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:12 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,523,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Nashville.
No income tax state
Multiple direct flights to Seattle
Everybody and their dog wants to live here
Cost of housing is much lower than Seattle
Nashville is a glowing blue area with a very progressive female mayor
The one minus is public transportation but we are working on that
You can't be serious! I know of no one that has Nashville on their short list. Maybe people in TN.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:49 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,057,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I think options were Boston, Philly, Austin, Chicago, Ontario.. my guess is Boston or Austin.

Chicago seems a long shot: How Chicago can lure Amazon: Ban employment noncompete agreements - Chicago Tribune

My guess the top three will be down to Austin, Boston and Ontario.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:43 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,251,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Chicago seems a long shot: How Chicago can lure Amazon: Ban employment noncompete agreements - Chicago Tribune

My guess the top three will be down to Austin, Boston and Ontario.
Chicago seems to have been taking EARLY with Amazon. Ralm Emmanuel made it clear out of the gate..... he was already talking to Amazon. Chicago did get corporate BOEING in 2001.

This will not doubt be a one time the Governor AND Mayor of its ONLY Large city FULLY WORK TOGETHER to ......... rooooooll out the Corporate Welfare Package. Chicago has a few VERY NEAR its Core sights, with its Former Post Office right downtown already in TOTAL Restoration ready for Spring 2019. It has land for a skyscraper too and more next to it.

Why Chicago DOES MAKE SHORT LIST. The Transit, BOOMING CORE, gem gaining corporate headquarters (yes many like McDonald's from the suburbs) but elsewhere in the nation too.

Windy City leading the nation when it comes to the number of residential construction cranes in the air, AT 54.
--- high-rises to Skyscrapers it's perhaps no surprise that the list of active Chicago high-rise projects keeps growing larger.
Showing pictures of all 54.

https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/chic...nstruction-map

Chicago metro area saw 350 corporate expansions and relocations last year. This activity translates to $2.8 billion in new investment and 14,000 jobs created, World Business Chicago reports. Major corporate relocations or expansions last year include new Chicago offices for companies like Mars Wrigley, McDonald’s, Wilson Sporting Goods, and Motorola Solutions.

https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...ght-year-71695

Chicago Ranked Top Corporate Metro for Fourth Consecutive Year
Attached Thumbnails
Where do you think Amazon will have its second headquarters?-chart....jpg  

Old 09-11-2017, 07:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,231,224 times
Amazon needs to be under investigation for racketeering. Their business practices are more unethical than anything Walmart has ever done.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,743,872 times
Spokane

Old 09-12-2017, 03:24 AM

10,915 posts, read 7,420,904 times
I'm hoping for Hilo.
However, I'd bet Atlanta. Major air shipping hub, and plenty of Coke for the late shift.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:39 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You can't get from the Atlanta tech area north of the city to ATL. The public transportation option is lousy and the roads are a huge traffic jam. Been there. Done that. Companies go there because it's cheap. Amazon wants urban and downtown Atlanta isn't going to attract anyone.
Not on MARTA, but Midtown and Buckhead are quite nice. I have no idea if those areas even have many tech jobs or the public transit situation, but if they are wanting truly urban, Atlanta probably won't work. I drove through Alpharetta and a few of the other north side burbs back in March, and even on a Saturday, it was terrible.

I've spent very limited time in Atlanta over the last five years, but it is not a place I would really want to live personally. I definitely think the congestion could be a deterrent, but how much better are any of the other big metros on a day to day basis? DC is also congestion hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics