Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 01:38 PM

439 posts, read 425,015 times

Advertisements

This Equifax mess is a nightmare. We've managed to freeze credit, except with Experian. They are not allowing it online or by phone. You have to send everything certified mail. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if online will ever become available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 03:28 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
That discussion is going on over here in the Persona Finance forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/perso...icans-had.html

It took me multiple tries over the last week but was finally able to freeze Equifax online last Sunday the 17th.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:40 PM

532 posts, read 445,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
This Equifax mess is a nightmare. We've managed to freeze credit, except with Experian. They are not allowing it online or by phone. You have to send everything certified mail. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if online will ever become available.

Keep trying

Did all three online:

All 3 went through first time for me

then for my wife
1. Transunion - 1st try
2. Equifax - took 2 tries
3. Experian - also asked that I send by mail but tried again 2 more times and got it done. Experian charged me $5, the other 2 were free.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:52 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
Keep trying

Did all three online:

All 3 went through first time for me

then for my wife
1. Transunion - 1st try
2. Equifax - took 2 tries
3. Experian - also asked that I send by mail but tried again 2 more times and got it done. Experian charged me $5, the other 2 were free.
If you did Experian on line and there was a fee- what type of payment did they accept?

I know Equifax is waving any fee if their data breach impacted you. With Transunion and Experian the fee depends upon the particular state where you are located.

I was just wondering with Transunion and Experian do you pay via credit card, via direct access to your bank account or do they expect you to mail in a check?

Old 09-19-2017, 03:54 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
I used a credit card for both Experian and Transunion. Still can't get through to Equifax.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:15 PM

439 posts, read 425,015 times
Thanks. After 4 days of trying I sent everything certified mail to Experian today.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:26 AM

532 posts, read 445,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
If you did Experian on line and there was a fee- what type of payment did they accept? part of the process of a credit freeze with Experian asked that I select my State of residence, for me Alaska. There was then a $5 dollar fee which I paid by credit card.

I know Equifax is waving any fee if their data breach impacted you. With Transunion and Experian the fee depends upon the particular state where you are located. Transunion and Equifax were both free for me, and then again for my wife. My best recollection is that the Transunion "free link" was kind of buried in several paragraghs that outlined a credit fraud service that they offer.

I was just wondering with Transunion and Experian do you pay via credit card, via direct access to your bank account or do they expect you to mail in a check?
Alaska resident, Transunion free or I think you can sign up for a fraud alert service with a fee. Experian online a little stubborn I had to try several times, $5 fee I paid with a credit card.

Something else my wife and I do is to maintain just one credit card. and... I will have it cancelled and reissued every other year or so... have to lie a little to the bank and tell them I have misplaced the card, they don't seem open to reissue a new card with a different account number unless there is a reason.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:04 AM

137 posts, read 249,115 times
If you 65 and older most states require that fees for placing and deleting a freeze is free.
Temporary removal incurs a fee.

I am still waiting on my pin concerning Equifax. I went thru the whole process via phone and at the end they advised that the "system cannot process my request at this time " . I called back several times and finally the system advised me that the account already contained freeze. No Pin !
Experian ( phone ) advised me that they would mail the pin. No Pin yet.

What a mess!!!

Old 09-21-2017, 10:53 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I just did it with their website today and it went through just fine. All 3 asked for the same information.

TransUnion cost 10 bucks (booo)
Experian cost 5 bucks (blah)
Equifax was free (yay!)

http://clark.com/personal-finance-cr...nd-thaw-guide/

Reading the previous posts I guess that means my data was affected if they didn't charge me?

Another thing you can do to protect your existing accounts is to set up voiceprint access so when you call they have a record of your voice on file for identity verification. I have done with my major accounts. Wells fargo and Fidelity both offer this, and I'm sure others as well.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/help/faqs...-verification/

https://www.fidelity.com/security/fi...voice/overview

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
Alaska resident, Transunion free or I think you can sign up for a fraud alert service with a fee. Experian online a little stubborn I had to try several times, $5 fee I paid with a credit card.

Something else my wife and I do is to maintain just one credit card. and... I will have it cancelled and reissued every other year or so... have to lie a little to the bank and tell them I have misplaced the card, they don't seem open to reissue a new card with a different account number unless there is a reason.

I have a card with a $500 credit limit I use on seedy transactions I think have a higher than normal chance of having the number copied, skimmed, or whatever.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
I "failed" one of the Experian questions (no I don't remember my phone number from college) online so I had to resort to mailing them everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics