Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 10:33 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times

Advertisements

That would be $24 a year. The median sales price of a new home in September was $319,700. A mere 1% interest rate would return $3,197 per annum. $24 would be much less than that. I'm not sure I trust your math on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 10:34 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
I just want to know why, when I have enough cash in the bank to buy a nice moderate house, do I only get less than $2 interest every month.
First, get a money market account at least. I get $2 a month on $2000 compared to my $.02 on $2000 in my regular bank savings account. Regular bank savings accounts are not savings vehicles anymore, which has nothing to do with interest rates. I'm really surprised banks even still offer them.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:36 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
And the question I'm still trying to answer is why The Fed stalled the market in the first place. The stock market is higher now, housing prices are higher now with no changes in general US income profile, the economy is still barely humming along with no crash. So why did they crash it then?

Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Agree completely.

It's human nature to want to control things, even things that are not controllable. Central banks probably arose to prevent the natural economic cycles. We want everything to be nice and easy all the time, no big ups or downs.
What the idiots at the Fed don't realize is that our economy still has cycles whether anyone likes them or not. It's the nature of the beast. We spent trillions of our unborn children's money to try to deny the 2001-PRESENT NON GROWTH CYCLE OR DEFLATION CYCLE, trying to avoid pain for ourselves. In fact, pain makes us stronger, is part of the tempering process of history. Pain-avoidance as a philosophy may be what condemns civilizations to eventual defenselessness.

Quote:
But it's like trying to prevent waves on the ocean.
I think the tunnel vision of our leaders is to "cause no harm today" - to hell with the future. The FED is clinging to asset gains like they are a lifeboat in a dangerous sea. But the natural flow in economics, as in everything else, is that cycles of expansion and inflation flow into depression, deflation, hardship and then flow back into expansion and inflation. The depression stage of this equation can't be left out just because it is painful and dark and damages - it has a positive side also, wrings out inflation, reinvigorates the local currency, and the mountain of debt that chokes out growth.

Quote:
The Fed's actions, especially recently, are guaranteed to cause severe damage, in my opinion. The only question is when. They manage to inflate one bubble after another, but there has to be a limit.
We know that FED lowered interest rates alllowed corporations to sink billions into buying their own stocks to keep the markets from collapsing - and to allow factually defunct corporations from evaporating in bankruptcy. I don't believe this type of intervention can be perpetually effective. Greenspan and Bernanke (and Yellen) only delayed the pain they did not eliminate it. We will pay a huge price for messing with CAPITALISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2017, 02:07 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
The economy is not doing anywhere near as bad as posters are complaining about. In fact it is doing good, new jobs are running way ahead of expectations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/01/adp-...-oct-2017.html

Old 11-01-2017, 04:23 PM

66 posts, read 70,144 times
I suggest to step back and learn what money is and what it does. I suggest this link
https://globaleconomicanalysis.blogs...e-measure.html

The subject matter can be very complicated thanks over regulation.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The economy is not doing anywhere near as bad as posters are complaining about. In fact it is doing good, new jobs are running way ahead of expectations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/01/adp-...-oct-2017.html
Yes, the economy overall is booming. Yes, some people have been left behind, and they are very vocal about it, but there have always been people left out, and in fact it’s less now than in the past. It’s just more obvious with this greater distance between the higher and lower income people, and less in the middle.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:57 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I agree, millions are struggling through poverty. I have 6 figures of supposed assets but fiat currency has become worthless. The numbers don’t tell the true story.
Are you not able to spend your fiat currency?

Old 11-01-2017, 09:38 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Are you not able to spend your fiat currency?
No, because modest 2 bedroom houses built during the post war era for 10k or Less now sell for a million dollars.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:07 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
You need to move to Denver.

City restrictions won’t let Denver mom sell home for market value | FOX31 Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics