Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 04:12 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is s my point . it is local market dependent . you had areas unscathed and other areas that got hammered in the great recession .

there is no rule that makes it a given that the loss of a deduction will change a thing . local conditions will still determine prices .
Sure and if it is your local area it is your reality and not someone else's. Aren't most things in life like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Is there an artificial inflation of house price because of the deduction allowance for mortgage interest?
I have read that construction cost is down and is one reason why huge McMansions are being built. If the deduction goes away would it bring real estate prices down? isn't that better in final analysis that demand will pick up, and more medium size houses in mid range price, which are now in short supply, will be built?
MathJak, note the OP was talking about McMansions and not your basic middle class home. So for buyers a drop in prices is good but for Boomers wanting that equity to boost their retirement maybe not so. Part of the move up in housing movement was based on building equity quickly, increased earnings and using the two to purchase a new home. Key in all of that affordability was the ultimate real annual cost which included tax deductions. That cycle can still be playing out with younger professionals. Often a move occurred as kids were about to enter school to the best neighborhood school cluster they could afford etc etc.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:18 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i doubt mcmansions will see much change either . if anything starter homes may be effected the most .

Old 12-10-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
i doubt mcmansions will see much change either . if anything starter homes may be effected the most .
How many buyers of starter homes itemize in most areas? In my adult working world, folks bought their first house prior to having kids so no deductions there.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:22 PM

not many , the effect would likely be in the high cost area's like the tristate area . it will all be local market specific .

Old 12-11-2017, 06:03 AM

120 posts, read 114,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Is there an artificial inflation of house price because of the deduction allowance for mortgage interest?
I have read that construction cost is down and is one reason why huge McMansions are being built. If the deduction goes away would it bring real estate prices down? isn't that better in final analysis that demand will pick up, and more medium size houses in mid range price, which are now in short supply, will be built?
I don't know about that but I do know what inflates the prices of ALL real estate by 6% in the country and supports an army of people who have no barrier to entry, are almost functionally and mathematically illiterate, have almost no legal obligation in the whole deal and in reality act as glorified door openers and often screw up more deals than they actually help. Think about it - 6% of ALL real estate transactions in the country - how much money is that and how long before someone figures out a way to automate these folks away?

Old 12-11-2017, 06:09 AM

those who want to own a home will do so regardless .trying to debate the effect of tax deductions in advance is silly .

Old 12-13-2017, 08:32 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Quote:
that is s my point . it is local market dependent . you had areas unscathed and other areas that got hammered in the great recession .
Housing market impacts of the recession of 1990-91 were regional. Those of the Great Recession were national. Everywhere was hit in one manner or another.

Quote:
there is no rule that makes it a given that the loss of a deduction will change a thing .
Yes, there is. What there isn't is a rule proclaiming that the effects of eliminating the deduction could not ultimately be overshadowed by the effects of other factors.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:28 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartWantsWhatItWants View Post
I don't know about that but I do know what inflates the prices of ALL real estate by 6% in the country and supports an army of people who have no barrier to entry, are almost functionally and mathematically illiterate, have almost no legal obligation in the whole deal and in reality act as glorified door openers and often screw up more deals than they actually help. Think about it - 6% of ALL real estate transactions in the country - how much money is that and how long before someone figures out a way to automate these folks away?
ROTFL

Notice how nobody bothered to reply to this blather?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics