Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 11:20 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Only when there have been other factors influencing it.

I'm not sure what you don't understand about this. Maybe a different example would help. If you go out to buy a car and you intend to finance it, which is more important, the monthly payment or the actual price you pay for the vehicle?

If you buy a $40,000 car at 10% interest your monthly payment would be $850 a month. If your interest rate is 3% your monthly payment would be $719. Get it now?
What's your answer to the highlighted question? Is the payment or the price more important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 12:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What's your answer to the highlighted question? Is the payment or the price more important?
I'm not sure why you would ask that. If you are a cash buyer the price would be more important, if you are financing the car and can only afford a certain payment the monthly payment would.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
a single individual's ability to buy a property does not define that property's value, the market does. Just because someone makes an offer and tells the seller that's all they can afford doesn't define what the FMV is that the seller can achieve from another buyer.
When did I say otherwise? The "market" is made up of buyers and sellers, right? But it becomes complicated In markets like LA and San Francisco when you have all cash foreign investors competing with local residents for single family homes because the would be homeowner almost always loses. https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...=.a2e5a63e8f6e

Old 11-29-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why you would ask that. If you are a cash buyer the price would be more important, if you are financing the car and can only afford a certain payment the monthly payment would.
You've changed the highlighted portion from how you originally asked it.

I asked the question, because the answer tells a lot about someone's understanding of time value of money principles, as well as how they make decisions about financial matters.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:56 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,783,228 times
Quote:
When did I say otherwise?
Quote:
What you just described explains the inverse relationship between price and interest rate when it comes to housing, are you trying to argue otherwise?
What I had described was the inverse relationship in buying power, not asset price and interest rates.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You've changed the highlighted portion from how you originally asked it.

I asked the question, because the answer tells a lot about someone's understanding of time value of money principles, as well as how they make decisions about financial matters.
I didn't change anything, but I'm not going to waste my time taking your test about my knowledge of financial matters

Old 11-29-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I didn't change anything, but I'm not going to waste my time taking your test about my knowledge of financial matters
Actually, you did change it.

Your original statement that I responded to:

Quote:
Only when there have been other factors influencing it.

I'm not sure what you don't understand about this. Maybe a different example would help. If you go out to buy a car and you intend to finance it, which is more important, the monthly payment or the actual price you pay for the vehicle?

If you buy a $40,000 car at 10% interest your monthly payment would be $850 a month. If your interest rate is 3% your monthly payment would be $719. Get it now?
Your modified statement:

Quote:
Surely you can understand that the two statements are very different. The addition of "can only afford" in the second statement drastically changes it.

I wasn't testing you on financial knowledge. You've made your level of financial knowledge abundantly clear on multiple posts.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:03 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,239,454 times
My mortgage deduction is worth something like 1500-2k a year.

The price of the property was perhaps slightly affected by that, but only slightly.

When people say that buying a house is a good financial move because of the mortgage interest deduction, it reminds me of the credit card ads that say you should spend more money to "earn points." LOL!

Old 11-29-2017, 05:14 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
... When people say that buying a house is a good financial move because of the mortgage interest deduction, it reminds me of the credit card ads that say you should spend more money to "earn points." LOL!
My Dw used to keep track of all our spending. She wanted receipts for every penny spent every month, so she could use the data to itemize our income tax filings.

After years of doing this, I got to using a CC when I was on the surface, and she noticed how our monthly CC statements documented the spending. Then she wanted all spending to be done via a CC, so that at the end of each year all of our spending could be documented on 12 monthly CC statements [instead of boxes filled with receipts].

We paid the balance in full every month, so there were never any interest charges, so I saw no good reason to go against her reasoning.

Then CCs came out that offered 'air miles', and we had to schedule vacations to fit before the miles expired.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:51 AM

698 posts, read 567,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Percent Off View Post
Hard to believe the counter-factuals being posted here.
In many cases, once people go off-track, they'll double-down on nonsense hoping to cover themselves somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics