Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 08:59 AM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times

Advertisements

We have an almost monthly example of this. It's known as the revised economic forecast. You know, where economists predict what the economy is going to do in the next month or quarter, then revisit those numbers after the fact. They are very often off by a considerable margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 10:09 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Basically, companies are sharing a pittance with their employees so they can crow about how tax cuts are definitely awesome for the average Joe, keep doing them! While 98% of the benefit remains with the super-wealthy.
It's cheap PR.

And it keeps the lie going that tax cuts give companies an incentive to increase wages. There is absolutely zero basis for it, except as a PR move.

Companies pay the minimum that they must, in order to hire the employees they need/want. Doesn't matter how high or low their taxes are or how much profit they make. Windfalls have always gone to shareholders in the past. Why would this be different?

Old 01-29-2018, 10:15 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
So, you told me I'm "flat wrong" about hundreds of companies giving out bonuses and increasing wages, but you can produce no data to back it up.

Wells Fargo gives minimum wage workers $15 which is what the Left has been screaming for, for years, but it's not good enough when you get it.

Another case of a crank Left Winger letting his alligator mouth overload his hummingbird ass. Good bye.
It's hard to "prove" a negative. I can't prove you haven't murdered anyone, either. You're the one making a claim that the tax cut benefits ordinary workers, the onus is on you to support your claim.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:01 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Well, Krugman admits that "other" economists make schitt up. His focus here is on people who thought inflation would come back and he crows that he was right about inflation not coming back.

I'd like to read an article by Krugman explaining why he thought the 2016 election would usher in an era of economic disaster, and why he got it so wrong.
Yeah, as usual, we see liberals pointing out right wing hypocrisy but not noticing their own. Same as always.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:12 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, as usual, we see liberals pointing out right wing hypocrisy but not noticing their own. Same as always.
That's because righties are so busy guarding their position that they miss the point entirely. Same as always.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:29 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Do right wingers notice their own?

It's just divide into artificial stupid camps, blah blah blah, make **** up, blah blah blah blah....

We need a 3rd party dedicated to truth. Well, I suppose not many would be interested....

Old 01-29-2018, 12:37 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
We need a 3rd party dedicated to truth. Well, I suppose not many would be interested....
Hey, I work at it. I don't like either left-leaning or right-leaning economists; they're both full it.

That my theories and efforts align with the left side of the spectrum is simply because I value people more than institutions. The right not only doesn't care about people, but openly derides any person who isn't at their economic level, while pompously and piously speaking for institutions [that benefit them].

Old 01-29-2018, 01:10 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Well, Krugman admits that "other" economists make schitt up. His focus here is on people who thought inflation would come back and he crows that he was right about inflation not coming back.

I'd like to read an article by Krugman explaining why he thought the 2016 election would usher in an era of economic disaster, and why he got it so wrong.
Bush's election ushered in the biggest economic disaster in eighty years, but it took almost eight years to fully materialize. I don't think Krugman was asserting the economy would collapse by March 2017, unlike the inflation panic squad that always insist disaster is six months or a year away.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
That's because righties are so busy guarding their position that they miss the point entirely. Same as always.
No, it's because the media is a near complete liberal monopoly. So they attack any and all conservative ideas with impunity because they have no check on their power.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Do right wingers notice their own?

It's just divide into artificial stupid camps, blah blah blah, make **** up, blah blah blah blah....

We need a 3rd party dedicated to truth. Well, I suppose not many would be interested....[/quote]

I don't disagree with any of that. But I am sick of the liberal monopoly in the media.

But the problem goes a lot deeper than the need for a 3rd political party. Politics isn't the highest level of power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics