Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 05:16 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Names of the scientists & mathematicians please?? Would be glad to know any formulas or any theories as well.
Abū al-Hasan ibn Alī al-Qalasādī was one, Ibn al-Banna' was another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
A lot of inventions are credited to "Islam" when it and they had little to nothing to do with them. For instance the astrolabe was first invented in Greece. It was further developed in muslim conquered lands probably by a Persian. Islam gets credit for developments that either happened first outside or before Islam such as Algebra or were the work of people that Islam conquered. The longer the middle east was under Islamic control arguably the less innovation happened.
Yes and no. A lot of Islamic science was influenced by other cultures, but that doesn't dismiss the improvements that were made in Islam. It's fairly evident that in some cases, though, what you say is true. There seem to be a few things which are credited to Islamic scholars simply because it is unclear where they actually came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Names of the scientists & mathematicians please?? Would be glad to know any formulas or any theories as well.
To start with most stars are Arabic names.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-02-2018, 10:21 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
May be they might have done something in the past. But not now. I come from a similar society - extra ordinary past, survivable at present and a questionable future.

But I give it to them for the Sufi & Hindustani & Ghazals ( all music) - No one sings it better.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:26 AM

By starting the important stuff at 1500AD you are eliminating the period of time where things like farming, animal husbandry, writing and math were invented which is kinda important, and it seems intentionally skewing the perception towards the west.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:42 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
By starting the important stuff at 1500AD you are eliminating the period of time where things like farming, animal husbandry, writing and math were invented which is kinda important, and it seems intentionally skewing the perception towards the west.
There is no historical proof of when (or where) either farming or animal husbandry started. There isn't really a definition of what constituted the beginning of either discipline. Was farming started the first time that mankind plucked weeds away from a food plant so it could grow better, or the first time he put a seed in the ground? Was animal husbandry from the first time an animal was born in captivity, or the first time that hunter/gatherers intentionally left extra grain out for food animals in wintertime? The beginnings of both are shrouded far back beyond the beginning of recorded history.

I do agree that it's a short timeline, but from a Western viewpoint, it's an important time period. I could type for hours about earlier cultures that had economic innovation that affected the surrounding areas, but a post like that belongs in the history forum.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
There is no historical proof of when (or where) either farming or animal husbandry started. There isn't really a definition of what constituted the beginning of either discipline. Was farming started the first time that mankind plucked weeds away from a food plant so it could grow better, or the first time he put a seed in the ground? Was animal husbandry from the first time an animal was born in captivity, or the first time that hunter/gatherers intentionally left extra grain out for food animals in wintertime? The beginnings of both are shrouded far back beyond the beginning of recorded history.

I do agree that it's a short timeline, but from a Western viewpoint, it's an important time period. I could type for hours about earlier cultures that had economic innovation that affected the surrounding areas, but a post like that belongs in the history forum.
I agree and disagree. There is a lot of data of where farming started (multiple locations in a horizontal swathe across Eurasia) and husbandry. BUT you raise valid points (defining what is a "start"), and it would belong in the History forum.

I still think the general premise is skewed though.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:26 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Quote:
I agree, we just take for granted what we don't know. OP ask yourself, what had Homo Sapiens achieved to get us there, after they left Africa 180,000 or so years ago?

You only get here from there.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:38 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Check this post of mine. This movie depicts a period around 1300 AD. I am afraid many things that were happening then, is prevailing now also .

//www.city-data.com/forum/histo...ory-movie.html

Old 02-02-2018, 01:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
This is partly due to the book After Tamerlane (Tamerlane lived in the 14th-15th cent), and partly because 1500 was when the Age of Discovery (Columbus, Vasco De Gama) etc. began. And also because it marks the beginning of takeoff for the West. Actually I think it could be argued that the real takeoff did not start until 100-200 years later. The West in 1500 was developing maritime-wise, but remained fairly primitive in other regards.

An interesting book that tries to go back to, IIRC, around 50,000 BC is Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. He also tackles the question of the sources of tech/econ advances. His book is briefly mentioned in After Tamerlane. Author prof. Darwin seems to be mostly dismissive of what he calls Diamond's (paraphrase) "geographic determinism." Diamond argues that Eurasia advanced mostly due to the presence of certain plants and animals that were conducive for domestication.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:28 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
It's sort of a myth that Europeans were not inventive or even primitive till the 1500s. There was a time period between 500-700AD where Europe was recovering from the collapse of the Roman Empire and other issues, but the renaissance started in the 1200s. And even in the Middle age period there was significant innovation and technology. The short answer is the West always had the intelligence, creativity and industriousness abilities, just that they were able to unleash it more from 1200s onward.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_technology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics