Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:26 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,879,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I think a black swan event will occur in late 2018 or 2019 and US will get a recession in 2019 - 2020...
Quick! Sell everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,701,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Yup, just a prediction. You told a long story about the outcome of your prediction but did not supply any facts, theories or ideas to support the prediction. I might as well predict a tidal wave wiping out Hilo.
This has been a long thread, so perhaps you missed part of it. I posted some current events in China in post #43. It is quite possible that the next recession will start in China, which is poised to have the largest GDP in the world within a decade. Certainly anyone who follows the news knows that the government takeover of Anfang is just a small part of the challenges they face. Their banking crisis is much more serious. Just like the US, they will try to postpone the collapse as long as possible, which only digs the hole deeper.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:18 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,119,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
This has been a long thread, so perhaps you missed part of it. .....
What makes you think your ideas have anything to do with Camlon's prediction?

Old 03-08-2018, 02:33 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,078,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Yup, just a prediction. You told a long story about the outcome of your prediction but did not supply any facts, theories or ideas to support the prediction. I might as well predict a tidal wave wiping out Hilo.
Because I wanted to talk about the outcome of a recession, and not when the recession will happen. A lot of users have talked about that already.

If you want me to explain something I wrote in more detail, then just ask.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Quick! Sell everything!
This is just a strawman.

I think we will get a recession in 2019 - 2020, not 2018. That means, selling right now is a mistake.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:18 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,174,109 times
Quote:
This is just a strawman.

I think we will get a recession in 2019 - 2020, not 2018. That means, selling right now is a mistake.
It could all hit the fan tomorrow..or never. The only mistake is trying to time it.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:46 PM

26,657 posts, read 28,718,912 times
Late 2019-early 2020. It needs time for the rest of the Republicans to turn against Trump, for Trump's personal problems to boil over (probably his marriage, for one), for the changes he's made to take effect and backfire.

The stock market will be a confusing mess, public confidence in anything will be low, chance of impeachment for Trump will be high--it's just getting started and will take time to develop.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
It could all hit the fan tomorrow..or never. The only mistake is trying to time it.
No, the mistake is that we are using flawed economic models that cannot predict recessions. I have never seen an international organization or country predict a recession before it is too late.

Take a look at Iceland before the financial crisis. Here is a chart of their money supply, does that seem normal? Iceland was an easy prediction, and some economists warned Iceland, but most people thought this was completly normal till it crashed. Even though OECD noticed substantial problems they still assumed Iceland would get positive growth. (source)

So why 2019 - 2020? The easy way to predict recessions is to look at indicators that occured before previous recessions, and compare them today. For instance, unemployment has never remained at 4% in the US for very long, because low unemployment lead to overheating of the economy, and right now unemployment is at 4% and wage growth is nearly 5%. Yield spreads tend to get inverted before recessions, which is happening right now. The current business cycle is the second longest in history and the property prices to rents is very high in many countries. In addition many economists and banks has predicted a recession around 2019.

Of course it is possible that the economy just keeps growing, but that has never happened before. I believe history has a tendency to repeat itself.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:27 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,174,109 times
Quote:
No, the mistake is that we are using flawed economic models that cannot predict recessions. I have never seen an international organization or country predict a recession before it is too late.

Take a look at Iceland before the financial crisis. Here is a chart of their money supply, does that seem normal? Iceland was an easy prediction, and some economists warned Iceland, but most people thought this was completly normal till it crashed. Even though OECD noticed substantial problems they still assumed Iceland would get positive growth. (source)

So why 2019 - 2020? The easy way to predict recessions is to look at indicators that occured before previous recessions, and compare them today. For instance, unemployment has never remained at 4% in the US for very long, because low unemployment lead to overheating of the economy, and right now unemployment is at 4% and wage growth is nearly 5%. Yield spreads tend to get inverted before recessions, which is happening right now. The current business cycle is the second longest in history and the property prices to rents is very high in many countries. In addition many economists and banks has predicted a recession around 2019.

Of course it is possible that the economy just keeps growing, but that has never happened before. I believe history has a tendency to repeat itself.
I don't think history should be ignored BUT .... this is a new world now and alot of the rules that applied in the past don't apply today. I still say as soon as a recession starts to show its head this market will crash like we have never seen. Until then? Happy sailing.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:57 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,185,349 times
Quote:
The current business cycle is the second longest in history and the property prices to rents is very high in many countries.
Not yet.

It will be tied for second longest in May, and then become the second longest in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics