Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 11:43 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,702,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
That is great but not everyone can be a manager. A business can not succeed with all their employees being managers. Someone has to do the jobs under managers.
Yep. And many of them will be low paid. That’s how the world works. Someone who isn’t capable of being a manager can’t expect to earn a a managers income.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:46 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,702,611 times
Quote:
I keep hearing min wage is for teens and part timers but have yet to see anyone actually post any evidence that this is true seems like there are just saying their opinion. Many people develop basic jobs skills but are still working low wage jobs. Your mistake is thinking that all employers really care about that stuff and are going to reward people for it.
As an employer, I don’t care about it. Not one tiny bit. What employees are able to afford isn’t even on my radar. I pay based on what the job requires, and what the employee brings to the table. What the employees are able to afford is something for them to worry about, not me.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
I keep hearing min wage is for teens and part timers but have yet to see anyone actually post any evidence that this is true seems like there are just saying their opinion. Many people develop basic jobs skills but are still working low wage jobs. Your mistake is thinking that all employers really care about that stuff and are going to reward people for it.
I've seen it posted many times here, with sources. I've posted it myself with sources. Just google "characteristics of minimum wage workers."

Old 06-21-2018, 04:54 AM

106,807 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
As an employer, I don’t care about it. Not one tiny bit. What employees are able to afford isn’t even on my radar. I pay based on what the job requires, and what the employee brings to the table. What the employees are able to afford is something for them to worry about, not me.
every job has a market value . it has nothing to do with what the employee can buy or not buy . in fact many lower paying jobs count on the charity of others in the form of tipping to bring up that wage higher than the market values it .

Old 06-21-2018, 06:08 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,930,436 times
Who actually pays minimum wage anymore, apart from perhaps mom and pop operations? McDonalds starts you off at $10 an hour here with raises if you are a good employee. Walmart $11 to start, Hobby Lobby in my town was offering $15 to start.

Nobody is going to get out of bed for the minimum wage here ($7.25) anymore. If you do manage to find someone, they will just steal left and right from you or be unreliable, or come in drunk or high. The free market does a good job of regulating wages, no government intervention is needed.

I don't remember a time where a low wage worker could really live independently. Many decades ago when I was working such jobs, I rented a apartment in the ghetto with multiple roommates. I also lived in a flop house with felons and mentally ill people. Being a low wage worker was always a rough existence. Whether or not you are motivated enough to escape such a life is another thing.

Last edited by s1alker; 06-21-2018 at 06:16 AM..

Old 06-21-2018, 08:49 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,489,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Who actually pays minimum wage anymore, apart from perhaps mom and pop operations? McDonalds starts you off at $10 an hour here with raises if you are a good employee. Walmart $11 to start, Hobby Lobby in my town was offering $15 to start.

Nobody is going to get out of bed for the minimum wage here ($7.25) anymore. If you do manage to find someone, they will just steal left and right from you or be unreliable, or come in drunk or high. The free market does a good job of regulating wages, no government intervention is needed.

I don't remember a time where a low wage worker could really live independently. Many decades ago when I was working such jobs, I rented a apartment in the ghetto with multiple roommates. I also lived in a flop house with felons and mentally ill people. Being a low wage worker was always a rough existence. Whether or not you are motivated enough to escape such a life is another thing.
Yeah I don’t think there was a time where people could work low wage jobs and live comfortably.

Seems to be some belief among some that the min wage worker should be able to have the same type of housing and lifestyle as someone making $100,000 . If that were the case why would anyone bother getting an education or bother taking the effort to increasing their income ?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:54 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,884,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Yet, when rich people and employers have to pay higher taxes and wages, they complain life isn't fair. For some reason, we're willing to cut them a break...
What break, exactly, is being given the affluent & rich? Apparently, you are very resentful -- perhaps even hateful. Why?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:57 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,884,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That one made my day. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Hell no. The rich should continue to screw the poor, and screw them, worse, and worse, and worse, until the poor get fed up and throw out this failed political system of ours. I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm just going to sit here eating popcorn, and watch it happen.
You seem to be resultful & hateful of the rich (correct me if I'm wrong.) Why all the hate?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:03 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,667,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
The point is you should care and you dont.
What, exactly, should we care about? What, exactly, should we do?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:05 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,087,271 times
Yes, that is right OP. In 1971 a gal I new worked at Montgomery Ward in L.A. She had a small apt in Hollywood. Could not afford a car, but min wage got her an apt.

Just how things are nowadays. Too many people grabbing for too few apts. Roommates is the rage now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics