Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 09:13 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Bottom line , working the lowest end jobs can suck .. but it sucks even worse working in a factory or farm in a 3rd world country and having to live 10 in a room on bunk beds .

Roommates or living with family in an air conditioned apartment with consistent electricity and high speed Internet isn’t ideal but it could be a lot worse , and it doesn’t have to be a life sentence ..

Old 06-21-2018, 09:27 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
As an employer, I don’t care about it. Not one tiny bit. What employees are able to afford isn’t even on my radar. I pay based on what the job requires, and what the employee brings to the table. What the employees are able to afford is something for them to worry about, not me.
If you're in a high CoL area, but you insist on paying a wage that's for other parts of the nation, good luck with that. Unless these people can telecommute from cheaper areas, they'll just work for your competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The poor are poor, not because they are being screwed by the rich, but because they keep making dedisions that contribute to their poverty.
Likewise, the really rich are rich because they inherit the money they get from their parents. Not because of any hard work, nor smart decisions they made.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:29 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
This thread has ended up a classic example of reductio ad absurdum focusing on people who earn $7.25 an hour and ignoring the subject of the thread - that you need to make 2.5 times minimum wage to rent an apartment; in most parts of the US that is $18-25 an hour. That's as much as an experienced bookkeeper, a dental assistant or a roofer are paid. And yes of course they can rent a room, unless they happen to be married and have children, and if they do they need gma to live close by or be able to cough up $1,000-$1,500 a month for childcare.

And of course they should have been brilliant like all the CD posters and not have had children until they made their first million but once you have a kid, it's real hard to undo, it's not like returning a sweater that you decided you can't afford.

I would love to have a rational discussion about what happens to the people I described here...what's the solution? Clearly they can't all move to rural Missouri so that they can rent an apartment for $600 there are few jobs there anyway. Should the government subsidize housing for working families? Should builders be required to provide a number of units set aside for lower income working families? Should HUD provide vouchers for other than the very poor?

Or we can keep sharing rags to riches stories and wagging our collective finger at people who work for minimum wage /sigh

Old 06-21-2018, 09:35 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Hell no. The rich should continue to screw the poor, and screw them, worse, and worse, and worse, until the poor get fed up and throw out this failed political system of ours. I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm just going to sit here eating popcorn, and watch it happen.
How are they screwing them?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This thread has ended up a classic example of reductio ad absurdum focusing on people who earn $7.25 an hour and ignoring the subject of the thread - that you need to make 2.5 times minimum wage to rent an apartment; in most parts of the US that is $18-25 an hour. That's as much as an experienced bookkeeper, a dental assistant or a roofer are paid. And yes of course they can rent a room, unless they happen to be married and have children, and if they do they need gma to live close by or be able to cough up $1,000-$1,500 a month for childcare.

And of course they should have been brilliant like all the CD posters and not have had children until they made their first million but once you have a kid, it's real hard to undo, it's not like returning a sweater that you decided you can't afford.

I would love to have a rational discussion about what happens to the people I described here...what's the solution? Clearly they can't all move to rural Missouri so that they can rent an apartment for $600 there are few jobs there anyway. Should the government subsidize housing for working families? Should builders be required to provide a number of units set aside for lower income working families? Should HUD provide vouchers for other than the very poor?

Or we can keep sharing rags to riches stories and wagging our collective finger at people who work for minimum wage /sigh
Minimum wage jobs are made for folks who want a part-time job or students. If one can't upgrade from that, well, it is what it is. and you don't have to make 45-50k to rent something. Ridiculous drivel.

If you can't upgrade from a minimum wage part time job, then too bad. You are a result of your life choices.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

Today I learned . You have to be “brilliant” to realize you shouldn’t have kids you can’t support..

You don’t think this country offers enough opportunities for people to advance and increase their income ?

Have these folks you spoken about exhausted all possivle options ? They applied to community college or trade schools where they can get an education and higher paid job and would qualify for help paying or at least defer the payments until they get a job ?

This is just one example of course . It’s hard to feel bad for someone unless they have already actually pursued all opportunities available. I just keep hearing excuses about why min wage workers are forced to remain min wage forever .

Even though even several in this thread mention they once worked min wage but now don’t .

I guess you would say they all just got “lucky “ right ?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
If you're in a high CoL area, but you insist on paying a wage that's for other parts of the nation, good luck with that. Unless these people can telecommute from cheaper areas, they'll just work for your competition.

Likewise, the really rich are rich because they inherit the money they get from their parents. Not because of any hard work, nor smart decisions they made.
Actually, the research shows that by far the majority of "rich" people started from scratch and earned it themselves. Another example of liberal drivel.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Actually, the research shows that by far the majority of "rich" people started from scratch and earned it themselves. Another example of liberal drivel.
Which I posted further up in the thread but of course the libs decided to ignore that .

Old 06-21-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
You seem to be resultful & hateful of the rich (correct me if I'm wrong.) Why all the hate?
Because this person doesn't understand basic economics.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I would love to hear how some of the rich earn it without help from their parents in today generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics